The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kids that are afraid of magicians? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
You're so pretty
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
Kamal
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Kamal
I am also in agreement with Adam V.

You're the King of of Kards and Khildren.
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
I use animals in most of my sets. It is suggested to begin with an animal production.

Most if not all children love animals even at an early age.

By using an animal production the young adults will view you as one who protects and nurtures all things small. They can certainly identify with this, do you think not?

If you ask me, Clowns are more scary than the likes of us - no?

Take a look at my picture, would you be scared? I was told yes recently so I cut off the goattee. Hope that helps...?

Try it next time you feel this might be a problem for you. See how it works and report back if possible.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
You know, after looking at most of the photographs on this page, mine included, this category gets pretty self-evident.

Gawd we are a scary looking lot.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
Very good point....It doesn't matter if you laugh, If you look like the Jocker.

Outfits that scare kids....even accesories...Dark glasses? Long Finger nails? Crazy haircuts?.... Bad Breath? Smile

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
I agree with Rey Rey. They may hate you but they will always love your animals. Even a Rocky Racoon can be a good ice breaker for those who want to store they animals in their suitcase.
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
Ryan Birch
View Profile
Regular user
North Wales
142 Posts

Profile of Ryan Birch
The way I get round shy kids is by acting shy myself. if they hide behind their mums legs then I will hide behind another mums legs! it kinda turns into a game and really breaks the ice.
"NO Ryan! I do NOT want to see another one of your silly magic tricks!" - my mum
digimaestro
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of digimaestro
Never try to hide under a mom's skirt, though.

digimaestro
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Some great suggestions!

Who just said "I never crouch down..."?

So don't crouch down! It looks condescending, anyway! But do get on their level.

I thought it would be a terrible handicap to my show that I have to sit down to do my show (I had a stroke and can't stand for long) but I quickly found that the lower height was much less intimidating to kids (especially since I'm pretty big and pretty loud!)

SIT on the floor ... KNEEL ... SIT in a chair ... you can get up from time to time, and even vary the distance - "Everybody scoot up here close!" "Everybody scoot as far back as that column!" Move them around - it keeps their attention, breaks down timidity, "wears out" that need to stop sitting in one place and wander around.

And if the birthday kid is shy, you can (1) wait for a while before you call on them, (2) let them come up alongside Mommy, (3) let them do the volunbteer duty from "way back there" where they already are, (4) stand up beside me with a friend they choose, (5) choose someone else to help.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
<<<<So don't crouch down! It looks condescending, anyway! But do get on their level. >>>

Rubbish it shows you care about the helper, and don't wish to tower over them. To the children you are a towering giant, If you bring yourself down to eye level it's a friendly guesture on your part and more relaxing for the nervous helper, and you'll find they will respond to you better.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
EricHenning
View Profile
Loyal user
Laurel, Maryland
218 Posts

Profile of EricHenning
I once was getting ready to begin a birthday show for a -year-old girl, and one of the other girls burst into tears. She was inconsolable. I did not approach her, but asked her Mom to find out what was wrong. After a bit, the mother led her little girl to me, and the kid said (I'll never forget this): "You're not going to burn us all up, are you?"

Seems she has seen another magician at another party doing fireballs and it scared the holy s*** out of her. I wish I could find that guy and punch him out.

I talked to her quietly and gently assured her that I was a different sort of magician and she would be perfectly safe. It all worked out in the end, and the show went fine.

I can't do anything about that other magician, but I can make sure I avoid scaring the kids!
MAV
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of MAV
I also make sure the birthday child attains special attention and are included in the presentation. However I give one more person special attention...........the one paying the bill.

The birthday child is by my side as I conclude my presentation and ask him/her to assist me for one last trick.

That last trick is when I produce a real rose from a newspaper, thank the hostess for the party invitation and then hand the rose to the birthday child to take over to the hostess (whom is usually their Mother). This provides the opportunity to request final applause for the hostess, not my performance.

This sure makes it easier to go that check from her, plus ask for a testimonial or referral.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kids that are afraid of magicians? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL