The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Songs that are just a little 'too' similar . . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Ever hear one song that sounds a little too similar to one another?

Certainly, most of us have heard of the musical similarities between I Want A New Drug and Ghostbusters, or U Can't Touch This and Super Freak, but what about others?

I was inspired to bring this up when I was listening to Womanizer recently, and thinking that the background sounded familiar. Unfortunately, I couldn't place it. I kept running the music of Womanizer over and over again without the words, and it finally hit me why it sounded familiar - it's the Theme from Lidsville!
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Huey Lewis settled out of court over Ghostbusters theme and he was very pleased.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Anyone who has studied music will know there is a long "traditon" of some songs having the same chord progression. A recent example is the Kid Rock song "All Summer Long." It doesn't take a rock afficianado to see the similarities between this and "Sweet Home Alabama". It also has a strong resemblance to "Werewolves of London." On Halloween night, I went to see a friend's band and they did a 15 minute jam of combining all 3 songs into one long jam. The most bizarre case of this is probably John Fogerty being sued for plagarizing himself. His solo hit "The Old Man Down the Road" was too similar to his old CCR hit, "Run Through the Jungle."
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Every Rap 'song'.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2008-11-14 02:39, pepka wrote:
The most bizarre case of this is probably John Fogerty being sued for plagarizing himself. His solo hit "The Old Man Down the Road" was too similar to his old CCR hit, "Run Through the Jungle."

Woah, Status Quo are in big trouble then.
There's a flaming lips track (flight test, I think) that sounds exactly like "father and son" by Cat Stevens.
A friend of mine reckons she heard "yesterday" in an earlier jazz record.
I'm still waiting for Bach to sue Procul Harum.
G
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Quote:
A recent example is the Kid Rock song "All Summer Long." It doesn't take a rock afficianado to see the similarities between this and "Sweet Home Alabama". It also has a strong resemblance to "Werewolves of London."

Also the line repeated through the chorus about 100 times "Singing Sweet home Alabama all summer long" might be a clue. The music for the song was created by Mike E. Clark, by combining audio samples of S.H.A. and Werewolves of London.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Quote:
On 2008-11-14 06:25, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
Quote:
A recent example is the Kid Rock song "All Summer Long." It doesn't take a rock afficianado to see the similarities between this and "Sweet Home Alabama". It also has a strong resemblance to "Werewolves of London."

Also the line repeated through the chorus about 100 times "Singing Sweet home Alabama all summer long" might be a clue. The music for the song was created by Mike E. Clark, by combining audio samples of S.H.A. and Werewolves of London.

But hot *** that's a good song
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2008-11-14 02:15, Scott Cram wrote:
Ever hear one song that sounds a little too similar to one another?

Certainly, most of us have heard of the musical similarities between I Want A New Drug and Ghostbusters, or U Can't Touch This and Super Freak, but what about others?

I was inspired to bring this up when I was listening to Womanizer recently, and thinking that the background sounded familiar. Unfortunately, I couldn't place it. I kept running the music of Womanizer over and over again without the words, and it finally hit me why it sounded familiar - it's the Theme from Lidsville!

Add 'Der Kommissar' to that first list.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On 2008-11-14 06:25, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
Quote:

Well, yeah if you wanna go with the obvious.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Pretty much every Creed song...listen to one and just sing the words from one of their other tunes over the current one you're listening to. Tom Petty also has several like that.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2322 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
A few years ago John Fogerty got sued because of his own music. Record execs accused him of sampling his own music for new songs... wow.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3418 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

I wonder if there are any relations to Pachelbel that feel they are getting stiffed?

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
And wasn't there a famous lawsuit between Ice-T and David Bowie concerning the use of the bass line from "Under Pressure"? As I recall, Ice-T claimed his was unique because it had one extra note.

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Erik...I think you meant Vanilla Ice & Queen.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Possibly the most intriguing to me was ABKCO Records lawsuit (and subsequent win) vs. The Verve. The Verve had originally licensed a sample of the Rolling Stones song "The Last Time" recorded by The Andrew Oldham Orchestra for their song "Bittersweet Symphony". When the copyright owners felt The Verve had sampled too much (and the album went platinum) they went after them for 100% of the royalties.
rudy-ray
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of rudy-ray
Quote:
On 2008-11-14 10:26, Living Illusions wrote:

Kevin

Kevin... It was Vanilla Ice & Queen with David Bowie.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
There's a story about the Stones playing "Has anybody seen my Baby?" at a family record release party. And their kids started singing "Constant Cravings" to it. The stones paid royalties to K. D. Lang up front.

Using other peoples music used to be the norm. When classical composers traveled they would incorporate the music they heard into their songs, to tell the story of their experiences. Jazz and blues musicians incorporate the phrases from other songs all the time. And if you hear a band in an Irish pub, your lucky if they play more than 2 melodies all night.

The thing that really bugs me is when bands cover a song note for note, adding nothing.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On 2008-11-15 00:59, rudy-ray wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-11-14 10:26, Living Illusions wrote:

Kevin

Kevin... It was Vanilla Ice & Queen with David Bowie.

Actually, you're both right, or wrong. It's Vanilla Ice and Queen WITH David Bowie.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27242 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If you can hang out for the first 7 mins - it gets to what matters to us in then and Pachabel in particular: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVhQJZuFUOA
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
Akon - "It don't matter" and R. Kelly - "Remix to Ignition".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgfFF_zWfyo

You can sing the Remix to Ignition lyrics to Akon's beat perfectly (he even put the echoes in the same place).
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Songs that are just a little 'too' similar . . . (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL