The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Preferred style of dress for the street? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Just a comment. I notice that quite a few street performers (magic) seem to favour wearing very ordinary clothes. Is that a purposeful thing? Dressing DOWN and looking like a deadbeat? (No names here, but Jimmy Talksalot would be a good example)
Clearly, there are others that like to put a bit of colour into themselves.. (again, no names, but Dynamike springs to mind..) Smileand you all know who you are out there...
Any of you guys out there with experience in this, got any comments? Do you get bigger hats (all other things being equal) if you look like you need the cash? Or, do you get bigger hats if you LOOK like a performer?

Regards,

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
One of the Café members has a great deal of expertise in attire and wardrobe...

John Pyka aka BigDaddyCool

maybe you could hit him up for some ideas, or pull him into this thread for all to beat up..err I mean discuss with.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
There are some that may say, "dress like ya need the money". My buddy specifically doesn't wear a watch while performing because he has a nice watch and doesn't want to come off as affluent.

I'm of the mind to dress like a professional entertainer and give them a show that looks like something they would have payed tickets to see.

So...there's 2 sides of the coin for ya. I'm sure there are others.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I go with a basic generic gypsy look. It's colorful, comfortable for SF weather, and functional. The real irony is that, here in the freak-ville of SF, I can walk down the street in my full garb and kit and not even raise an eyebrow until I get to the pitch!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
Dress shirt, vest, slacks, comfortable shoes, hat that's about it for me.
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
I remember bein frustrated because I could never do a 100 dollar hat with my sidewalk show .. BMav would give me some pep talk and one of the things he talked about was my look.. I used to dress black and white , than finally decided I needed to be more colorful .. I got a maroon vest from bobby.. took a little to get used to, but I finally broke my 100 goal, and saw a big increase in my hats.. Not sure if it was because my loook changed , but it definatly played a role ..
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
The all time best "look" has got to go to Jerry Salazar. That guy has CLASS!

...just my opinion of course.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
My own opinion, as an untried busker, but a long time observer is this:

Bright, colourful, gets you off to a good start. Non-threatening, and amusing - that's what it says to me, and it attracts KIDS & parents alike. The rest is up to the performer.
Non-descript and perhaps unshaven tells a different story. You have work to do right from the very start.

You only EVER get one chance to make a first impression, so why not think about the impression you want to make?

My question really, was "does the way you dress affect the income from your show", and I think the answer has to be "yes".
There are of course, other things to consider. No matter how well you dress, if your act is rubbish, then your income is likely to reflect this.

Regards

DCB
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-11-15 08:28, Chad wrote:
The all time best "look" has got to go to Jerry Salazar. That guy has CLASS!

...just my opinion of course.

Jerry's got a heckuva thing going on, that's for sure.
I've tried repeatedly to get him to come onto the magic Café, now that he actually has a computer, but he's an old codger and a little stuck in his ways...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Anyone got any pics of him? Jerry Salazar?

Tks!

DCB
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I'm rather surprised to say that I actually don't! next time I see him on the street I'll take a few and post 'em.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I prefer a strapless gown, but that's just me. Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2008-11-16 01:01, Bill Palmer wrote:
I prefer a strapless gown, but that's just me. Smile

A visual I didn't need right now. Smile
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
Check here to see what Salazar looks like. He's part of a longer video.

http://sidewalkperformerswhoswho.blogspo......zar.html
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2008-11-15 08:28, deadcatbounce wrote:
My own opinion, as an untried busker, but a long time observer is this:

Bright, colourful, gets you off to a good start. Non-threatening, and amusing - that's what it says to me, and it attracts KIDS & parents alike. The rest is up to the performer.
Non-descript and perhaps unshaven tells a different story. You have work to do right from the very start.

You only EVER get one chance to make a first impression, so why not think about the impression you want to make?

My question really, was "does the way you dress affect the income from your show", and I think the answer has to be "yes".
There are of course, other things to consider. No matter how well you dress, if your act is rubbish, then your income is likely to reflect this.

Regards

DCB

Great advice & answer-says it all really

Cheers
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Profile of JohntheMagician
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
<BR>____________________________________________
<BR>WWW.ILLUSIONDELUSION.COM
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Dress like a beggar, get paid like a beggar.
Thinking of wearing my tux out, top hat and all.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Jimmy addresses this in his book. You don't want to look like a bum, but don't want to look like you don't need the money either.

It's a balance. I think Jimmy hits it.

As far as color goes, there may be a good point there. In a study of online dating, women who wore red in their online pics got 25% more replies. It wouldn't surprise me if that transferred to the streets. A bright yellow seersucker suit comes to mind...I saw it mentioned somewhere, but I don't recall at the moment.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I always like to wear clothes so that people know I am a performer. I want that people think this could be good for our get-together. If I look like a bum, they don't want me there. If I look professional, they book me. I want that people give me money because of my art, not because I look like a bum.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Preferred style of dress for the street? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL