We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "Useless and Pointless Knowledge" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
John Kokot
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of John Kokot
Like Willie "The Actor" Sutton who robbed banks, "because that's where the money was," this posting is being placed on "Pick a card...any card," because that's where the readers are. The moderators may, of course, deem it more appropriate for another forum.

Having more time than sense, I arbitrarily extracted the following 12 types of magic from the Café's menu: card, money, ring & string, illusion, box, rope, handkerchief, stage manipulation, animal, bizarre, mental, and escape.

Creating categories in this way is fraught with questionable methodological assumptions. Why omit "Fire Magic," for example? And is Paul Curry's "Out of This World" card magic or mental magic? And why wasn't "Pasteboard frolics" included with card magic or stage manipulation? Not to mention failing to combine bizarre magic and mental magic. Should silk magic have been included in box magic or stage manipulation? Who says the categories have to be mutually exclusive? What's worse is that this dubious data is being presented without a commensurate amount of analysis, making the whole endeavor even more feckless.

Still, I thought you might want to know:

If you add the posts in these 12 categories, the sum is 64,250. Card magic leads the way with 28,671 (44 percent) of these 64,250 posts. Mental magic is next at 17 percent, followed by money magic (15%), rings and strings (6%), bizarre (5%), illusions (4%), stage manipulation (3%), and the remaining categories all reporting in a one percent each.

Capitalists might be disturbed to note that for every "Tricky business" posting, there are 56 card-magic postings. Those of philosophical bent may take comfort in knowing that the ratio of card magic postings to "Food for thought" postings is "only" 5.9 to 1.

Enjoy or ignore at your whim!
frogman
View Profile
New user
Asheville, NC
35 Posts

Profile of frogman
I believe this post belongs in the "Too much time on your hands" forum... what are the stats on that? Smile
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
HUH? Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Not sure if this falls into the "lack of evidence is not evidence of lack" discussion. Perhaps the medium of cards is more accessible than the algebra of ideas in philosophy or concealments and transfers required in coin magic. The more facile may take reassurance from the Lincoln quote about lies and statistics.

Keeping this on topic, when the language of the opening post is shuffled, and dealt into five hands, one can deal out a few good poker hands.

-Jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Re. statistics - -

Did you know that the lottery is God's way of teaching statistics to poor people?

Did you know that 64.3% of all statistics are made up?

Oh, to stay on topic, here's something useless I know about cards...the deck of cards was probably invented in ancient China or 12th/13th century Egypt. Here's something I don't know for sure but my guess is that it would be pretty difficult to perform a tabled faro shuffle today with one of those original decks. Smile
Arellion
View Profile
New user
England
26 Posts

Profile of Arellion
There was a song called the playing card spng back in the fifties with tons of useless statistics.

Incidently I am typing with a card palmed to practice. Impressive, huh? No? Oh ok.
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Settle down college boys.

Lee Smile Smile
Alessandro Scotti
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
263 Posts

Profile of Alessandro Scotti
Quote:
On 2003-04-22 18:24, Arellion wrote:
Incidently I am typing with a card palmed to practice. Impressive, huh? No? Oh ok.

I have played a good part of Bach's Toccata with a coin palmed. Unfortunately that's not much impressive either, provided that: a) you can play Bach's Toccata; and b) you can palm a coin. Smile
Walk of Mind: the best source of bad magic
Alessandro Scotti
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
263 Posts

Quote:
Re. statistics

Bah. Statistics is the science that says if you put your head in the fridge, someone in the world must put his bottom in the oven.

But speaking of cards and useless knowledge, do you know that all kings have mustaches except one? Go check! Smile
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
We have "Up In Smoke" which is the forum for Fire Magic.
We have "Inner Thoughts" in the Secret Session which is the forum for Mental Magic.
Is it appropiate to make "Out Of This World" as a category?
Ratio 5.9 : 1 means Card Magic is mush popular, isn't it?

By the way, you are OK you manipulate cards when you are doing somethingelse by yourself. But don't do it while you are talking with me.

Hideo Kato
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2003-04-22 18:22, Larry D. wrote:

Oh, to stay on topic, here's something useless I know about cards...the deck of cards was probably invented in ancient China or 12th/13th century Egypt.

Best guess today is that cards made their first apperance in 14th century India or perhaps Persia and arrived in Europe, most likely Italy, around 1350 or so.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Does this mean we have marco polo to blame for the 21 card trick?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
No, but we do have him to blame for people drowning in swimming pools.
Clayman
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
243 Posts

Profile of Clayman
Could someone please explain this thread in say.."English"
"A flash of silvery light ..and it was gone."
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Three statisticians go hunting.
They see a deer.
The one on the right fires his gun and the shot goes to the right, missing the deer.
The one on the left fires his gun and the shot goes to the left, missing the deer.
The statistician in the middle jumps up and exclaims: "We got him!"
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2003-04-22 23:00, Peter Marucci wrote:
Three statisticians go hunting.
They see a deer.
The one on the right fires his gun and the shot goes to the right, missing the deer.
The one on the left fires his gun and the shot goes to the left, missing the deer.
The statistician in the middle jumps up and exclaims: "We got him!"

I just figured out what's wrong with the world.
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Is it just me or does this thread remind anyone else of Monty Python?

chris
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
No Seismic, Peter is right....and so am I....period.
Hehehe.

Long live Python!
Alessandro Scotti
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
263 Posts

Quote:
On 2003-04-23 01:07, RandyStewart wrote:

No Seismic, Peter is right....and so am I....period.

Darn, I must be wrong then.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
There are three types of people in the world
Liars, *** Liars and Statisticians
Mark Twain
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "Useless and Pointless Knowledge" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL