The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Bare hand silk Production (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
EricHenning
View Profile
Loyal user
Laurel, Maryland
218 Posts

Profile of EricHenning
I used the old "balled up silk in the crotch of the elbow" production as an opener for 15 years. Came from "The Puffin Book of Magic" by Norman Hunter. Works great!
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2004-07-07 21:48, MagicbyCarlo wrote:
If you want a simple no fuss bare handed silk production check McBride’s Magic on Stage Video. The gimmick is a rubber band and your arm. The production is based on Vito Lupo's idea.

I use that one. I'm not sure if I got it from McBride's video or elsewhere. (I don't have the McBride DVD handy at the moment so I can't check it.)

One tip to making the rubber band method work more smoothly is to tie the band so that there is a smaller loop in the band which goes around your finger and a larger loop which goes around the handkerchief. The band should be tied like a lopsided figure 8, so the bottom loop of the figure 8 is 3/4 of the band, and the smaller top loop is 1/4 of the band.

It takes longer to describe this in print than to just do it. Try it and compare to using the single loop rubber band. The extra small loop to go around the finger makes the handling smoother . #19 size band works fine for this.
Richard_Moor
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Richard_Moor
Does anyone know of a dealer selling the Vito Lupo's or Sanada gimmick? I have just tried Laflinmagic website and cannot find it.

Thanks, guys.

Rich
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I believe that Steven's Magic Emporium sells the Sanada Gimmick.

http://www.stevensmagic.com

Also, Jay Scott Berry sells the Sanada Gimmick:

http://www.jayscottberry.com/effects.html
Timothy
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama, USA
174 Posts

Profile of Timothy
I saw Vito do the silk production in a lecture, but missed the part of the rubberband & silk. Can anyone tell me where to find that "winding?" process?

Thanks!
-Magical Tim
Magical Tim's Magic Shows
[email]tim@magicaltim.com[/email]
"Magic is a vanishing art!"
felipão
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of felipão
Quote:
On 2004-07-07 21:48, MagicbyCarlo wrote:
If you want a simple no-fuss bare handed silk production, check McBride’s Magic on Stage Video. The gimmick is a rubber band and your arm. The production is based on Vito Lupo's idea. I think Lupo's production is the one that Joseph Gabriel (?) uses, but I'm not positive.

Yes, Joseph Gabriel uses this too. Smile
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I use an old Sam Berland idea called "Silk Appear". It is kind of like the fickle nickle gimmick but with a rolled up silk. You can do all the transfer and such and use a 24" silk.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Dear Carlo,

I hate to be a stickler about this and I’m certain that you are completely unaware of the facts. But, I felt that I should mention that the silk production using the rubber band that you are crediting to Vito Lupo is actually my trick.

It was first published in “The New York Magic Symposium Two, Close Up/ Stage Collection Two” back in 1983. This was a companion book to the 2nd New York Magic Symposium Convention, which was produced by Vito Lupo and Adam J. Fleisher. If you have a copy of that book you will see that the trick is titled, “Semi-Impromptu Silk Production by Levent”.

The origins of this trick go back to about 1981 at which time I was using a silk production gimmick that I had purchased from Tannen’s. It involved a rubber band, a silk and a device that was hidden up your sleeve. I’m pretty sure it was called the “Flash Silk Appearance” and I think it cost $7.50.

Personally I had several problems with this gimmick: First, it had to be performed fairly close to the beginning of an act and I needed a silk production for later in my show. Second, it interfered with my sleeving technique. And third, I found the gimmick to be very unreliable. But I must admit that Joseph Gabriel used this device beautifully.

Needing a better silk production I remembered seeing the wonderful Japanese magician “Sakoh” on a video (Interview Segment from an NHK-TV Magic Special from the Olympia Theater, Paris France) doing a silk production that involved hiding a rolled up silk in the crook of his right elbow. When a piece of flash cotton in the right hand was ignited the silk was popped into view (I think this trick is in print somewhere but I can’t recall where and since I’m on tour at the moment I can’t look it up). The flaw with this production was the fact that a big arm movement was required to pop the silk into view.

I also remembered the silk production that Channing Pollock used to open his dove act. That trick used a loop of piano wire permanently attached to the corner of the silk. The big problem with this method was that a spectator watching from the side could see the silk hanging from the back of your hand.

So, what I did was combine elements of all three methods.

From the “Flash Silk Appearance” I borrowed the idea of using a rubber band to propel the silk and I utilized the flesh colored elastic to allow both sides of the hand to be shown.

From the silk production performed by Sakoh, I borrowed the idea of hiding the silk in the crook of the elbow.

Finally, I used Channing Pollock’s idea of loop attached to the corner of a silk. But, instead of piano wire I used a rubber band and I based the handling of the silk on his technical work so that the gimmick could be rigged up at anytime in an act.

I performed the trick for only a short time and then as my act progressed I dropped it from my show.

Later, I taught it to the late Aldo Richiardi (January 1983) as part of a silk routine he asked me to putting together for him. But, sadly we never got around to finishing it.

And then I gave it to my dear friend Jon Evans (Schneck), who did a great job with it by using 10 foot long cloth streamers instead of a silk and followed it up with a dove production.

Finally, I gave it to the magic world with the publication of “The New York Magic Symposium Two, Close Up/ Stage Collection Two”.

Additionally, I taught it in my stage magic lecture at I.B.M Ring 26 (New York) sometime in 1983 and at my lecture at the Magic Castle (December 1985). It is possible that it was also published in my lecture notes from that period, but since I’m far away from home right now I can’t look it up.

I honestly didn’t know that Vito Lupo taught it in his lecture in the late 1980’s until a friend showed me Vito’s video earlier this year. A few days later I called Vito and told him how pleased I was to see him teach it and that I was grateful that because of him my old trick is not forgotten.

I also complemented Vito on that wonderful metal clip that he invented to hold the silk together and making it easier to use in the middle of an act. That was one thing that I never was able to perfect when I was performing the trick.

Again, I really hope you don’t think I’m being petty bringing this up as it seems like stuff from a million years ago. But, I just wanted to set the record straight.

On a positive note, perhaps this little history of the “Semi-Impromptu Silk Production” will give the readers of this forum a few ideas on different silk productions and an insight on how to combine different methods to make new trick.

Best Regards,
Levent
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Levent,

This is great information. Thank you for sharing the history on your very simple, but very effective silk production . I have always thought of it as Vito Lupo's , but come to think of it that is probably because of the influence of McBride's video "On Stage" which I have had a chance to look at since I posted on this forum a few days ago and McBride does credit it to Vito Lupo, but that could be because he learned it from Lupo and does't know the publication history of your effect .

D
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
Hi all,

I think there is one method (no jacket, no rubber band, performed anytime, easy to do) to produce a silk bare-handed: Jay Scott Berry's esclipse tip.
never try, never know
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There are also silks from the bends of the arms and the lapels. Silk are stolen as well at the ends of the wand.

Lucy uses one that she modified from Rice that uses only one rubber band at the wrist. In presentation, it looks very much like what Vito Lupo is performing. However, it is not the same. (She could not accommodate the “other” requirements in her act and they have compared notes.) Incidentally, I have never seen Vito take credit for that trick. Instead I have heard him on several occasions claim that anyone who would bother to study Tarbell and Rice could steal his act with special emphasis on that trick. It is magic in his hands!

My favorite production is under cover of striking a match and lighting flash string. (My guess is that I got it from Harold Rice.) For years I used it to produce the three colored silks used in the Silk Serenade. I quit doing Silk Serenade after 45-RPM records became collectors’ items. (I understand that Tenyo still sells it.) It is a beautiful routine to music. But only a mature audience would know what 45s are or that they came in colors.

In my collection of “stuff” from Burling Hull, there is a metal fake (apparently made from part of a tobacco can) for a bare hand production. I found that a straw from a plastic broom worked as well for me and left nothing hard to ditch or I would need to recover.

Certainly with a little research you will find several dozens of methods are used. Too many routines require a silk to miss the opportunity to make it magically appear. Magicians are very resourceful people.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Magic Grandpa
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Magic Grandpa
Magic Grandpa here...

The bare-hand silk production that Vito Lupo does was invented by Levent. See New York Magic Symposium volume two. Red volume. Let's get our facts straight here, folks.

I was at one of his lectures. Very funny comedy club entertainer.
I'm old as dirt; that's why there's no picture of me.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Dear Magic Grandpa,

I am grateful that you took the time to look up the trick and to write a posting to back up my assertions. Also I’m very impressed that you had a copy of such a rare book.

Because I am constantly traveling I often don’t get a chance to read this forum. As luck would have it, I just happened to be on the Web and as I was randomly reading the postings this one caught my eye and I found myself saying, “Hey, that’s my trick they’re talking about”.

Personally, I think that the magicians here at the magic Café are nice people who are only trying to help each other out. This is truly a wonderful thing and they should be commended for their efforts. I do not expect them to know the origins of this trick. After all it was published in an obscure magic book more that 21 years ago!

Additionally, Vito Lupo and Jeff McBride are dear old friends, and I consider any omissions or errors regarding the crediting of my trick to be purely accidental. As I said before my intention was to just try to set the record straight.

Finally, since my last posting I did look up the silk gimmick that I had previously mentioned on the Tannen’s website.

Apparently it is still for sale and the name is “Flash Silk Appear” and not “Flash Silk Appearance” as I originally recalled. Also if you read the advertisement you will find that Tannen’s has never updated the text. For example, they mention Joseph Gabriel by his real name and refer to him as a “staff artist”. But, clearly, they did get around to updating the price as it now costs $18.50!

Best Regards,

Levent
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2004-07-15 21:25, Bob Sanders wrote:

I quit doing Silk Serenade after 45-RPM records became collectors’ items. (I understand that Tenyo still sells it.) It is a beautiful routine to music. But only a mature audience would know what 45s are or that they came in colors.

Ah, Pavel's Silk Serenade ; "Lullaby of the Leaves" .

I still have mine , too. The odd thing about Silk Serenade is that it is the one trick that Tenyo should have made in all plastic (like almost everything else they make), but they chose to make it of heavy paper. Go figure.

Or did they ever make a plastic version? Mine is really old, circa 1975, made of cardboard. I haven't seen it in a magic stores for years, but I checked on the Internet and as Bob says, Tenyo still makes it.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2004-07-17 09:15, David Todd wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-07-15 21:25, Bob Sanders wrote:
I quit doing Silk Serenade after 45-RPM records became collectors’ items. (I understand that Tenyo still sells it.) It is a beautiful routine to music. But only a mature audience would know what 45s are or that they came in colors.

Ah, Pavel's Silk Serenade ; "Lullaby of the Leaves" .

I still have mine , too. The odd thing about Silk Serenade is that it is the one trick that Tenyo should have made in all plastic (like almost everything else they make), but they chose to make it of heavy paper . Go figure......

(or did they ever make a plastic version ? mine is really old , circa 1975 , made of cardboard. I haven't seen it in a magic store for years, but I checked on the Internet and as Bob says, Tenyo still makes it.)

David,

I agree with you. Vinyl would have been the material of choice for me too. Since I came to professional magic through the recording industry, I'm certain the material exists. We used a lot of red and blue ones especially for radio stations and promo copies. Remember Blue on Blue (Heartache on Heartache...)? For some reason, yellow seemed reserved for children's records. I even saw a few that were purple, green and orange. Since as recording artists we made a whole 2 5/8 cents each on them, cheap counted.

Some other company did make a flimsy plastic record trick but it was not the pretty thing to perform the Tenyo is. Nor did it work the same.

But the match box for producing the silks isn't just a penny anymore either! And flash string actually cost real money now. I can remember 30 cent flash paper that was really good. (And Pro-Glo that would eat its own paper envelope!)

Perhaps we will be long gone before "virtual magic" replaces us. I'm not sure "virtual music" hasn't already done its job. Last night Lucy and I were entertained by a group who could really play real musical instruments and sing. How quaint!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Now that I think about it, it seems to me that it would not be too difficult to cover the cardboard records from the Tenyo effect with vinyl contact paper, which would have the added benefit of reinforcing the gimmicks as well as giving all the records a "shinier" look, so they appear more like real records .

Or maybe even better, put a real 45 rpm record on a scanner, then print out the image full size on a sheet of self-adhesive backed glossy photo paper, carefully cut it out using a circle cutter (sort of like a compass with a blade on the end; get them at the craft store), then stick the images on the old Tenyo records.

The advantage of the scanned images would be that the real grooves of the record would be picked up by the scanner, so it would look even more like a real record .

For the colored records, just take the scanned image of the regular black 45 rpm. record and drag it into PhotoShop or a similar graphics program to color it red, blue, yellow (or actually any other color if you wanted).

Old school trick meets modern computer technology = best of both worlds

Quote:
On 2004-07-17 10:22, Bob Sanders wrote:
Perhaps we will be long gone before "virtual magic" replaces us. I'm not sure "virtual music" hasn't already done its job. Last night Lucy and I were entertained by a group who could really play real musical instruments and sing. How quaint!

Bob,

I think that one of the things that keeps drawing me back to magic is the fact that it is a performing art that is best experienced live, whether close-up, in the "parlor", or on stage.

Here's hoping it will never be replaced by "virtual magic".

I'm encouraged by the fact that even with the amazing visual effects in movies today people still love it when they see a "special visual effect" live and in person, whether it be a lady who floats under a cloth and then vanishes, someone's selected card appearing in an impossible location , or that darn egg that keeps appearing and disappearing from that little bag.

Or a handkerchief that appears in the magician's outstretched bare hand! (There , I got us back on topic.)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2003-05-10 09:50, David Todd wrote:
Same thing, except "Cloaking Device" is Jay Scott Berry's adapted version of Sanada .
Berry's use of the adapted Sanada is detailed in his lecture notes "Illusioneering 2000" . Buy the notes and two Sanada gimmicks.

It's not quite that simple. For more information on Jay Scott Berry's versions of the Sanada gimmick try this thread:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109

Why not adapt Silken Serenade to CD's?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
[quote]On 2004-07-29 13:59, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:

Why not adapt Silken Serenade to CD's?

There have been some shots at doing just that. However, for those of us who do stage magic, CDs are simply too small for effective stage work. Cds are almost small enough to go the manipulation route. They are really pretty in the lights.

Maybe we could start with "Growing CDs" and the go with the color changes.

Scheme!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Bare hand silk Production (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL