The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » 18"-24" Chicken Silk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Does any one know where I can get a silk with a chicken on it? My buddy has one that he uses to produce eggs and would like a back up. We can't find another anywhere.

Thanks!
DeWayne
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
How intricate is the drawing? I may be able to handpaint it.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
The one he has (and I think he would like the same)is a cartoon chicken. It looks like an old school Warner Brothers style.

Thanks!
DeWayne
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
That would also be a good design for a silk to egg routine: which came first, the chicken... or the egg?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Still seaching. Thanks!
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I'd let hug draw the thing, and use Bob Sanders sharpie suggestion for the ink.
Get a white or yellow silk, or a blank card silk for the base. You can also get a chicken applique at the fabric store and do a relief silk.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
How about a silk with a rubber chicken on it ! And then produce a real rubber chicken and show the silk and its blank now ....
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
I have never tried it with silk but I print pictures for quilt wall hangings that my wife makes, this way:

Iron the material to an 8.5" x 11" or 11" x 17"piece of waxed butchers paper (or any size in-between). Then run it through your printer. Print any picture you can load in the computer. Just like paper printed this way you can't get it wet or or runs.

I may have to sacrifice a small silk to see if a light weight material would work.
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Mikame makes and egg-producing chicken hank that's available here in Japan. I haven't seen it in America, but you should be able to order the Japanese version through UGM or Seo Magic or some similar outlet with English speakers in-house.

Although I don't think this site below ships internationally, this is what the chicken hank looks like. I've seen it in UGM's printed catalog, but I don't see it on their online catalog. So you'd probably have to order it via e-mail.
http://i-magic.biz/shopdetail/061001000013/order/

Bill
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Bill,

This one will work fine! Thanks so much.

Here's what the one he has now looks like...

Click here to view attached image.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Love it!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
This is printed on what looks like a heavy weight material. Could it cause a problem fitting in the egg?
I found a cute chicken in clip art in my printmaster 17 and painted a 12 inch silk for the same idea of silk to egg last spring. It wasn't hard to do.
Years ago when I lived in Milwaukee, my friend Dorny showed me how to paint silks and wanted me to take over his business but he used to paint a 36 inch custom silk for $15. Harold Rice used to keep a bolt of white silk on hand just for Dorny. Ke would have Frances Marshall at Magic Inc hem them when he was finished. The colors were never as bright as printed silks, but that was all we had back then in the dark ages.
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
Rice
View Profile
Regular user
Ruth Rice Crone
106 Posts

Profile of Rice
Believe it or not, I have several of the large bolts of 36" white 6 momme bleached unhemmed Habutai silk from Japan that Dad(Harold Rice)ordered many years ago, which jjeaton referred to in the post above! This is the same silk that all of his 6 momme products were made from. I sell pieces of it to magicians interested in doing their own thing. Contact me if you or anyone else is interested in more information.
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Quote:
On 2008-12-03 16:36, jjeaton wrote:
This is printed on what looks like a heavy weight material. Could it cause a problem fitting in the egg?

Yup, I noticed that too. But he produces eggs from the "silk", so the "silk" does not have to compress.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi DeWayne -

I wonder if that is one made by Bob and Cathy Gibbons (Fun Technicians)?

I haven't been able to find a working website for them recently, but a google search will produce their Syracuse, NY phone number. (Or PM me for information I have on an old instruction sheet.)

They used to manufacture a line of props back when they published "Laugh Makers Magazine," and even for a while afterwards. 1980s and 1990s.

The reason I suspect this is theirs, is that I have a trick called "Comedy Magic Reindeer", which has a reindeer drawing of his face (with plain white nose) on a cloth "silk", and you make his red nose (sponge ball) appear and disappear. For the finale, the red nose sticks to his face.

I seem to recall the ads at the time, saying there was also a version of this with a chicken drawing and an egg. That might be what your friend has.

- Donald

P.S. Added - I just checked my Comedy Magic Reindeer prop, and right on the instrution sheet, it reads that this trick "works just like Fun Technician's popular Comedy Magic Chicken." So, it must be theirs. I'll bet the silk-screened cloth is about 21" x 21".

P.P.S. I'm sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, or I would have helped you earlier.

P.P.P.S. Where can I go to claim my "magic trivia trophy"? Smile

Posted: Dec 6, 2008 12:32pm
BTW, some Yellow Page-style websites list Bob Gibbon's website as http://www.BobMagic.com

That is not his website. The domain must have belonged to him at one time, but now belongs to someone else.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » 18"-24" Chicken Silk (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL