The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Using a magnet to keep topit open (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JonathanM
View Profile
Veteran user
Jonathan
352 Posts

Profile of JonathanM
I've used Ammar's topit since 1988. Now, I've purchased this awesome vest from Bobby Maverick at Busker Gear.com and I'd like advice on how to instal the magnet for the topit.
Jonathan Meyer
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
www.jonathanmagic.com
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
I will second that. The worker's vest has a much higher topit than the traditional Ammar style.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
liampower
View Profile
Regular user
australia
187 Posts

Profile of liampower
Well I'm not shure about the vest but ive been uss=ing a magnet to keep the Ammar topit open for about a year now I sometimes work in jeans, tshirt and casual coat and don't tuck my tshirt in so I cant use the flap. just tape a maggnet into the inside of your shirt and put one in the toppit attach them and there you have it, works for me. the only time I had a problem was toppiting a bottle cap and it stuck to the magnet and clinked

lp
JonathanM
View Profile
Veteran user
Jonathan
352 Posts

Profile of JonathanM
Bobby said to use safety pins to hold the magnets in place - how do you safety pin a magnet?
Jonathan Meyer
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
www.jonathanmagic.com
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
Put the safety pin through the fabric, then stick the magnet to it.

... or am I missing something?
JonathanM
View Profile
Veteran user
Jonathan
352 Posts

Profile of JonathanM
Quote:
On 2008-11-25 10:24, L Trunk wrote:
Put the safety pin through the fabric, then stick the magnet to it.

... or am I missing something?

I tried that but the magnet won't stay on the safety pin. Maybe my magnets are too heavy?
Jonathan Meyer
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
www.jonathanmagic.com
JonathanM
View Profile
Veteran user
Jonathan
352 Posts

Profile of JonathanM
Can you describe the magnets you use?
Jonathan Meyer
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
www.jonathanmagic.com
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
Sew a magnet in a little bag, attach that to the jacket. Then sew a little magnet or magnetic metal into the topit.
milesg
View Profile
Regular user
(of experimental medications)
160 Posts

Profile of milesg
I think sewing it in as suggested by L Trunk is the best. To further help matters, you could make your 'little bag' from felt or several layers of your liner cloth to prevent the aformentioned clink. Of course you would want to test its effectiveness before actually sewing it in place to make sure that the thicker fabric doesn't kill the magnet's pull.

Also http://www.kjmagnetics.com/ is the BEST resource for high strength magnets (Hopefully not too strong). The strongest will be the N52 rated models, and you can get them in any size that you like.

Good luck,
-Miles
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
885 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
I have a magnet, which my wife has sewen into a small cloth pouch, just the size of the magnet, which I can attach to my jacket using safety pins. I use it it as a ditching device, specifically for use with my Dean's box originally, but I have thought about using it as s place to hold other gimicks to ring in as well. It should work for what you are looking to use as well.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
I use a couple of home made "Bat" devices on my shirts/blouses and sew a patch on the TopIt's pockets that has a magnet underneath it that has been glued to the patch. PM me if you want all the details

dsalley13
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Using a magnet to keep topit open (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL