The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Matchbox Penetration (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shammond
View Profile
New user
Ohio
56 Posts

Profile of shammond
Anyone have any opinions/experience with the "matchbox penetration" I recently saw on the Penquin site. Pass a toothpick through a matchbox, pull it out, and then open the box to reveal a big chunk of brass. The demo looks cool. But to what extent are the box, brass, and toothpick examinable? Is it worth the price? Is it too contrived? Anyone got any input on this one?
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
If you get a good quality brass block, everything can be examine thoroughly by spec. I don't know about the quality of matchbox penetration that Penquin carries, however if it is from India, do not get it.
Bernard Sim
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
The quality of the gimmick can be from poor to super. I would buy it without seeing it first.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
It's a stunning effect and the brass block can be examined. This is a very precision effect so it has to be made properly otherwise the gaff will show. This is one effect that is easy to do and provides a big impact on the audience.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I agree, the one I have it examinable, the gaff is that good!
I have seen shoddy ones though!
trainerjep
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of trainerjep
Yes, see it before you buy it. The one I have is awesome, in fact if I don't use it, I have to read the dang directions again to figure it out! lol Smile
It's not the size of the wand,
but the magic in it !
smudgedj
View Profile
New user
Cochabamba, Bolivia
82 Posts

Profile of smudgedj
I have to agree you need to see it before you buy. I keep mine nice and shiny and people can examine it to their hearts' content.
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
The best gimmick of this kind was made by a Mister Martinez (no, not Daryl)as far as I know. It was sold back in the eighties. It would be nice, if somebody here knows more about it and knows if this one is still available.
The gimmicks you get today are mostly crap. The original was expensive but well worth the price. This was really precision made and you could examine the thing until the cows came home.
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi all,

I would also like to steer you towards "Clearly Impossible" created by Dick Zimmerman.

His version uses a matchbox and a needle with a thin ribbon attached. The matchbox is penetrated (?) by the needle and ribbon. The box is shown on all sides. When the box is opened, a block of clear plastic fills the drawer.

Nothing is gimmicked. It is all examinable. I like this very much!!!

Good luck with your search for better magic.

Regards,

Paul Green
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
That great Paul. I always thought this routine was awesome when I first saw it. It fooled me because I didn't think there was anyway that the brass block was going to be gimmicked. Looked like I was wrong. The only issue I ever had with it was that you ended with the block being unexaminable. I wanted to eliminate that problem. Looks like you brought forth the solution Paul. Thank you. Going to check it out right now.

Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
shammond
View Profile
New user
Ohio
56 Posts

Profile of shammond
Well, I ended up ordering it from Penquin. From the replies here and the PMs sounds like their version is quality. Hope so!
MagicallyDelicious
View Profile
New user
Logan, Utah
6 Posts

Profile of MagicallyDelicious
shammond,

Be sure to get back to us on the quality of the Penquin version. Thanks
==============================
POOF! My Post is gone!
shammond
View Profile
New user
Ohio
56 Posts

Profile of shammond
OK, I got the Matchbox Penetration from Penquin Magic a couple days ago. Haven't used it more than a couple times, but so far so good. Appears to be very high quality. I have to look very very hard to detect the gimmick - and I know what I'm looking for! So its pretty doubtful anyone who's not savvy will catch on. I give Penquin's version (by Rob Stiff) a thumbs up.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Does anyone have the version put out by MAGIC MAKERS? And does the block look good and unsuspicious?
melish
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of melish
Instead of using a toothpick, I bought a large sewing needle (really big), and tied a foot long ribbon through the hole. Much better visually!
The version I have is made by "magical wonders". On one side of the brass the gimmick is ABSOLUTELY undetectable and shows that, when well made, this is a beautiful effect. The other side of the brass was less well machined...I took a metal file and steelwool to smooth it out...it's a bit better now.
trainerjep
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of trainerjep
This is so awesome. I hand mine out all the time, and they don't have a clue! It kills.
It's not the size of the wand,
but the magic in it !
Timothy
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama, USA
174 Posts

Profile of Timothy
I ditched the all-white matchbook mine came with in favor of a readily-indentifiable diamond matchbook found in grocery stores. I think it adds to the trick, but that's just me. I think it's a real stunner of a trick!
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I have the Acrobatic Matchbox, but not the penetration. It looks like they possibly could be used as a routine if switched out. Sounds like a good investment. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
I have the Magic Maker's version of this trick, and it's quite effective. If you have a handfull of matchboxes, you can even start with an 'unpoked' box, push a needle through, with thread, then open it up for the finale. The 'Move' they describe in the documentation is a little awkward, and most of the folks I know don't bother turning the box over so the 'drawer' is upside-down before doing the (move omitted here).

I've been thinking about setting up a 'matchbox' routine using it, the acrobatic matchbox, floating match, and match up the nose... You might also look into GENII for a Jay Sankey trick in the April issue (or is it this month's) which sets up a really neat 'do as I do' struck-and-relit match trick.

To paraphrase Ross Bertram, "You can do a lot with a matchbox."
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Matchbox Penetration (11 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL