The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Do you know who invented this trick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul Gertner
View Profile
V.I.P.
147 Posts

Profile of Paul Gertner
I'm trying to find out the original inventor of a trick I use all the time. The ones I use were purchased 25 years ago, I think under the name Pentalock? It's the double thick Plexiglas sheet that you put a few large bills or two inside with the small brass lock on the end. Five keys are mixed up and, of course, the one you want opens the lock depending on the direction you hold the lock. I know it's been manufactured over the years, probably under different names, but does anyone know the origin or the original name and/or inventor, etc.? Trying to do some crediting on this, and any help is appreciated!!!
Paul Gertner
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Paul,

I've seen it or similar in a number of places. Some are like a gag puzzle box, and others are like the "Seven Keys to Baldpate" effect. It sounds like you have a gravity lock, and they have been used for the "Baldpate" effect. Indeed, I assume that's where at least some of its origins lie. One I've seen marketed lately is called "Crook Lock."
You may also want to check out "Treasury Transpo." While the effect is completely different, it may be related in some way because it uses a bill locked between sheets of plastic.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but good luck on your quest. Smile
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Paul Gertner
View Profile
V.I.P.
147 Posts

Profile of Paul Gertner
Michael,
Yes, Crook Lock is the similar effect. The one I have works with a gravity lock; has a bead inside the lock you can hear roll back and forth. I'll search that out a bit more. Thanks for that input.
Paul
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Paul,

I've found in an old catalog from Viennamagic in Austria a similar effect. Unfortunatly it doesn't give the name of the inventor.
The advertising picture shows a spanish banknote in the plexiglass sheet, so maybe it's originally from Spain...

Oliver.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3430 Posts

Profile of Julie
I do not know who invented it, but I seem to remember the working and construction details being in a Linking Ring Parade several years ago.

Perhaps someone with TLR on disc could find the specifics...

Julie
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Maybe it was a mentalist who invented the trick because the trick can be used for mentalism.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Do you know who invented this trick? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL