The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Magic for Older Children DVD by Pat Fallon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ekins
View Profile
Elite user
Portland, Oregon
475 Posts

Profile of ekins
I just noticed this on the Hocus Pocus web site. Has anyone seen it?

-Brian
Fast Eddie P.
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
322 Posts

Profile of Fast Eddie P.
I was also wondering if anybody could review this?
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1636 Posts

Profile of Futureal
The "demo video" wasn't a demo video it was just a lot of fluff. If you click the owner of the YouTube video you can find an older gentlemen doing presentations for heaps of standard props - Pom Pom Pole etc. I'm not sure but I'm assuming that that's Pat Fallon. If so then I'd imagine the DVD wouldn't be too good.

If I'm wrong someone please let me know.
ekins
View Profile
Elite user
Portland, Oregon
475 Posts

Profile of ekins
Looking at the description again it says he does his show before a group of 8-11 year olds. I don't know about you but I wouldn't consider this age group "older". When I saw the name of the DVD I thought of older as more of teen ager age. I haven't seen the DVD so I can't say if it's contents are worthwhile or not but from the description I'm not really sure what group it's focusing on.

-Brian
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1636 Posts

Profile of Futureal
If people would release proper demo-videos of DVD's and tricks that actually SHOW the trick being performed or extracts from the DVD things would be made much simpler for everyone concerned, wouldn't they.
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1426 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
I bought it and found it fairly good, but not up to the level of Silly Billy, Chris Capeheart, Magic Dave or David Ginn. It's got some decent material (Houdini Seance stands out as a clever sand frame routine), but is not altogether ground-breaking. Usually Practical Magic has a different take and clever twist in projects they produce; this time I wasn't quite as impressed. But it is entertaining although I found Fallon to be a little "low energy," and the kids were not that old and there wasn't all that much about psychology of "older kids" until a few interview segments at the end, which I didn't entirely get through. On the whole, 8 out of 10. I'd buy other comedy and kid DVDs first.
WayneNZ
View Profile
Special user
New Zealand
965 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
I rate it well above a couple of names mentioned above.
Guess we all like different things.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
I agree with Wayne. I found Pat Fallon's DVD very helpful when dealing with this difficult age group. His routines didn't play down to them and were well-received. As for his 'low energy' levels, I disafgree - his mature and adult-like approach was perfect for this age group. As for the age group - I think 8-11s are correctly classified as older 'children' and not 'teenagers'.
TomJHodgson
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of TomJHodgson
I met Pat Fallon this past weekend and he a great performer he is funny and gets everyone involved I don't own this dvd though he was selling it. Im sure it would be well worth it.

Tom
Richard Paddon
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Richard Paddon
Pat Fallon performed and lectured in Australia last weekend.
I also had the pleasure to meet & spend time with him.

Pat is a very knowledgable, talented magician who thinks about his magic and performing. Everything he does has a reason behind it. His lecture was received with great enthusiam and many positive comments. His workshop was full of pearls of wisdom that comes only from experience. Watching him perform some routines with a couple of children in this age group was brilliant. I'm not a children's performer but I still learned from Pat Fallon.

Richard
TomJHodgson
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of TomJHodgson
I myself didn't get to go to Pats Workshop but I was right next door at Deans and it sounded like you guys were enjoying yourselves Smile

Pat definitely is knowledgable and has magic for all ages.

Tom
coolini
View Profile
Regular user
australia
175 Posts

Profile of coolini
Pat in his dvd talks about how and what to present when performing for older children...now if you are familiar with silly billy DVD and book, you ll notice that he takes a different approach...
while performing he doesn't have a particular character as he treats kids as some kind of adults and acts as a gentleman who's trying to entertain them rather then fooling them...
there is no or minimal sleight of hand and that's why he relied on marketed props...in some tricks he doesn't explain the secret...but if you are considering performing for older kids, a magician should already know the secret of crystal blendo and colouring books...
when I buy a dvd, the main factor is the presentation and the interaction with the audiance that I care for.
saying that, houdini seance and his ideas on the 20th century silk are great and the high light of the dvd.
and I guess that main essence of this dvd is that when you r performing for kid between 8-11, don't be silly and if you have a character on stage, modify it a little bit to suit this age
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2467 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
My review:
I had this dvd and viewed it one time and that was enough. It was one of the worst dvds I have ever seen on magic.
The show was about an hour long and took a lot of patience on my part to get through. My wife came into the room and agreed that his presentations were long winded and boring. Most of the jokes he told were sailing over the children's heads and weren't that funny anyway.
Now onto the explanation section. I believe the entire explanation section for his 1 hour show was a total of 15 minutes. Obviously he zipped through the job as the explanations were 1/4 the length of his show.
There was a section on his theory but I didn't watch it as I was so turned off by the rest of the dvd I didn't see myself learning anything other than how I don't want to do my show.

If you are wanting to do magic for older children get Silly Billy's book and learn from that. This dvd goes into my top ten worst ranking. Maybe even my top three. Just awful.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1636 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Got a bad review in Magic magazine too, for what it's worth.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I totally agree with Paul Rathbun.
The magic magazine review was very fair and mentioned some good points, but this was bad.
I did like the houdini seance.
I also liked the blendo effect he did, but like many of the tricks he shows there was no explanation other than you have to buy it. Also, if you go online to buy it you see a demo video that is at least as good as Pat Fallon's performance.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1636 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Managed to find a secondhand copy. It’s taken me a week to get through it, I can’t watch more than five minutes at a time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Magic for Older Children DVD by Pat Fallon (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL