The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Cardshark by Darwin Ortiz (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cootetom
View Profile
New user
UK - West Midlands
61 Posts

Profile of cootetom
Does anyone have this book? Is it good? Were can i get it in the UK?

I know Darwin Ortiz has other books but this one looks good for me. Another that i was looking at was Scams & Fantasies but i'm not sure.

I want to buy a book that teach's me some more advanced card handling techniques and tricks. Cardshark by Darwin Ortiz looks good.

Thanx for any input,
Tom
Smile
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
This book is unfortunately out of print, so if you have access to it, I highly recommend it.

This is probably my favorite of Darwin's card magic books. Granted, I like all of his books, but this is my personal favorite.

His newest book "Scams and Fantasies with Cards" is fantastic. Forum member Ron Giesecke wrote a wonderful review that will probably benefit you more than anything I could write.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=29
ME
cootetom
View Profile
New user
UK - West Midlands
61 Posts

Profile of cootetom
Thanks Mark, that post you pointed me to was very interesting. As Cardshark is now out of print I'm seriously thinking of getting Scams & Fantasies.

I have seen it at http://www.topsecretmagic.co.uk for £36.

Does the book teach all the sleights needed to perform the routines? I'm talking about the harder sleights of course.

Also if anyone has the Scams & Fantasies book could you tell me the ISBN.

Thanks
Tom

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
petersd
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of petersd
I believe that it will be reprinted later this year as per Richard Kaufman. I got the book and it is great!!!! Contact Richard and he can tell you when the reprint might happen.

Dave
michael640
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of michael640
cardshark is imo the best book darwin has ever written, virtually flawless work. I wasnt as impressed with scams and fantasies but it is still a top notch book worthy of your interest
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
"Does the book teach all the sleights needed to perform the routines? I'm talking about the harder sleights of course"

For the most part, the answer is yes. There are a couple of effects that require a memorized stack but he leaves it up to the performer to decide which stack he wants to use. I also don't think he teaches the faro shuffle.

Believe it or not, practically all of Darwin's magic is well within the capabilities of the serious card worker. The sleights he uses should be in your arsenal if it isn't already. However, his gambling demos are very demanding and require the performer to have mastered a deceptive bottom deal, second deal and there is also some shuffle work (not for the feint of heart)
ME
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
I emailed Kaufman and Co and they said the book will be reprinted later this year and to look in Genie for more info.
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
Quote:
On 2003-04-24 09:31, r4bid wrote:
I emailed Kaufman and Co and they said the book will be reprinted later this year and to look in Genie for more info.

Well this never happened....lol
~joeKing
bumbleface
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of bumbleface
Loved Scams and Fantasies. Loved Cardshark. Really loved At the Card Table. Get Darwin's stuff...
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
Don't forget "Strong Magic" and his Annotated Erdnase too!!!!
Drive Carefully
mysterious_guy
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of mysterious_guy
I have Strong Magic and Cardshark, plus some of his videos. Great card guy... worth all the practice!
MesmerEyes
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
63 Posts

Profile of MesmerEyes
It also depends on what type of performance situation you are pursuing. The material in Cardshark revolves around 3+ of Darwin's actual professional acts. If you have the opportunity to perform in a similar setting, then this is the greatest material that I have personally ever seen!

If you are looking for quick material for walk-around or table-hopping then this may not be your best choice.

You need to know yourself and your situation to be able to determine just how much you will get out of this book. Hmmmmmm.... sounds like something you might explore in Strong Magic!
Fayaad Manie
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Fayaad Manie
Darwin Ortiz's material is a must have for all serious card workers.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I concur. Absolutely stellar material and most definitely worth your attention.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
tylerdurden
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of tylerdurden
What about for dealing sleights, bottoms, centers, seconds, etc.

Is that info found in the book or must I look elsewhere?
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
You are better off looking elsewhere. cardshark has a few effects with false deals and he doesn't go into detail.
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
For dealing sleights, you might wanna look into Marlo's "Revolutionary Card Technique" instead, or Martin Nash's videos.
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
944 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Cardshark does have a routine ("Face Up Centers") which imitates (and claims to be to the layman) a center deal. I like it better than an actual center deal myself.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Cardshark by Darwin Ortiz (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL