The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » 3 card monte - learning (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
It seems to me that the mix is the key to the game. While throwing the cards is the hype, I feel that making your audience think that they could follow the money card by following the mix is the lie that you want them to believe. Same as the shell game.
Yehuda
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Yehuda
If you want a very magical and entertaining 3 card monte effect that is more of a magic effect than a gambling game, check out Jon Armstrong's "Blank Momte."

Yehuda
chronica
View Profile
Loyal user
France 94 Vitry s/s
246 Posts

Profile of chronica
Another very deceptive and fun to perform is the great 'Monte Monte Plus' by Harry Lorayne. I like it very much.
leko
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
202 Posts

Profile of leko
I guess you don't mean Ken Krenzel's 'Monte Plus Plus' in Apocalypse Vol.1, July 1978 page 81?
No crimped cards, cards may be borrowed.
Very devious.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
For the record: The basic move in Monte Plus Plus is Trevor Lewis's; then Ken and I added some ending points. I demo/teach it on one of my "Best Ever" DVDs, and the credits are as above. HL. (It is, incidentally, the only monte routine I perform.)
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
chronica
View Profile
Loyal user
France 94 Vitry s/s
246 Posts

Profile of chronica
And the move with the crimped card at the end of the routine is really great Smile
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Hi All,
The School for Scoundrels notes ( a misnomer – these “notes” are a work of scholarly history, fantastic entertainment, great photos and all the moves, routines and psychology you will need to toss the broads) and the accompanying DVD set are value for money.
As a bonus, the customer service is 10 star all the way.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Howard Hamburg
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Howard Hamburg
Vernon told me once that the player must think he knows where the money card is at all times.i took that to mean the moving around of the cards must not ever confuse him as to its supposed position.the old boy was no slouch.bt
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
On 2010-06-11 16:08, Howard Hamburg wrote:
Vernon told me once that the player must think he knows where the money card is at all times.i took that to mean the moving around of the cards must not ever confuse him as to its supposed position.the old boy was no slouch.bt

This is the best advice on this thread. I've seen some monte routines in which the mixing of the cards was so fast that a hype wasn't even needed. That's the fastest way to lose the attention of an audience.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
No matter how fast the mix is done, a four year old kid could follow it. This is what makes it so much fun.

The sucker "knows" where the card is, because he knows he can follow the mix.

As long as the toss and hype/flash hype are separated from the mix, and the cards are called face down, the sucker will be convinced of the position of all three cards on the table before the mix starts.

He will be totally puzzled as to how he could have missed after following the mix so closely--perhaps he blinked, or let himself become distracted.

This is because he DID follow the mix. The location of the money card at the start of the mix was not the location that the sucker was convinced was the starting point.

Without the mix, the spectator looks back to that last move with the two cards in your hand--must have happened then. The mix keeps that from happening.

On the street this doesn't matter so much, because they only need to use the hype and hype/flash once, or maybe twice in a play.

Magicians have to win every time. This changes the nature of the whole presentation, and the sleight of hand and routining required.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » 3 card monte - learning (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL