The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » A question to Mr. Jacquin - mentalism and hypnosis combined (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Derren Brown has been combining hypnosis and mentalism for nearly a decade. I was doing it 20 years ago. And I saw other performers do it when I was a kid.

Its nothing new.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Hi Photo-Wizard,
I do The Berglass effeect and of course I understand the coin effect you mentioned.
The Berglass effect I perform is accomplished without using hypnosis. However, both these effects can easily be accomplished using only hypnosis without any othert form of trickery. And with respect, unless you can tell me where & how, there is no NLP used in either at any time.

bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I don't know about this effect. But NLP can be used to structure presentations in a way that maximizes the impact. Not in the way magicians use it as cover for the "trick".
Photo-Wizard
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester
141 Posts

Profile of Photo-Wizard
Hi Bobser

The version I have spoken of and witnessed used Hypnosis and nlp in a covert manner to ensure that one person involved in the ACCAN number routine had NO idea what had gone on (secret wise) and as I and many others did witness, it worked a treat!

The actual main method he used involved a TT and also a seperate NW along with one specially gimmicked playing card in the most off the wall,yet devishly clever manner I've ever witnessed, read about or contemplated.

Let me say it again we all witnessed the TRUE Berglass Effect nonone had a clue at the time that a TT and NW were being used as nothing was ever written down and logically there was no reason for such items to be used in ACAAN,but that's why it worked because it was (and is) so unexpected.

Having emailed the performer today (via facebook) they tell me that their bending coin effect is to be inluded in Anthony Jacquins next Reality Is Plastic supplement and that they intend to offer readers of that supplement the chance to get a DVD teaching the ACAAN effect for aound £10 (he says we will have to supply our own TT and NW and make the gimmicked playing card ourselves) but having seen them all at Blackpool its easy to do.

So in this version yes Bobser the covert use of Hypnosis and NLP was essential and there was no pre-show work.
Photo-Wizard
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester
141 Posts

Profile of Photo-Wizard
Hi Mindpunisher

Just to clarify as I understood it (and yes to be honest I was a little ****ed like the rest of us in The Ruskin watching) the NLP talk is essential to the final outcome of his ACAAN effect and the hypnosis of course is the secret of the non bending bending and straghtening coin!
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Hi Photo-Wizard. Thanks for the reply. I'm kinda' guessing what you're saying but to be candid I don't really get it, and I understand that you can't actually TELL me in here. But if I understand you correctly then we can agree that hypnosis does it all completely, however, the TT and NW are used to add some other ingredients to its presentation? If so, I'm sure I'd find it interesting. In fact off the top of my head I can think of 3 or 4 things I'd do personally with the same 2 appliances. The TT and NW, as you are no doubt aware, are essentially magicians tools, and anyone who comes from that background will know 50 or so things to do with them. That's why the great Simon Lovel calls it Jazz Magic I guess.
I also agree with MP (this always pleases him when I offer him any form of encouragement) in that although I personally don't rate NLP too highly, I do see it as something which, as MP says, can: "be used to structure presentations in a way that maximises the impact". Thus NLP is good for helping magicians do tricks.

bobser
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Bobser it pleases me more when you constantly give me ammo to give my views credibility.

Just because you don't rate NLP doesn't mean its not valuable or that it actually works. The same as just because you think hypnosis is thriving and progressing on the street doesn't mean it actually is. The street is usually that last place you find yourself when destitute. And that kind of summs up where its going for me. And in some cases even the toilette (thanks for that)

I rate NLP highly. It just wasn't designed to pull off magic tricks. Although I don't rate the majority of those with worthless certificates.
Photo-Wizard
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester
141 Posts

Profile of Photo-Wizard
Hi Bobser

Regards the ACAAN effect I understood it such when explained to us that the TT and NW are the most needed gimmicks for the effect to work in the manner we saw it performed which is exactly as described on here.

The NLP/Hypnosis covert use of is just to ensure that one of the volunteers (and only one) has no clue or recollection of what truly just occured to them and remember eveyrthing in the same manner as the watching audience.

And yes this is all done in full view of the audience without any pre-show work and without anyone being any the wiser.

As I said its the most off the wall combined use of a TT and NW that I've ever come across and feel certain that when Anthony Jacquins nextreality is plastic supplement comes out,those who get it and take up this performers offer will discover perhaps the most effective, reliable and clean version of ACAAN to date, assuming that they are prepared (have the bottle) to use the covert confusion methods explained and used in the effect.

For the record if the performancewas video and played back it would look exacty like my original description on here.

Indeed I emailed the performer in question again on Facebook and asked them if they have a video on You Tube and their reply was such

"I've been very underground and advising some top television names for several years now, so have been in two minds whether to release these effects to the general market. However Anthony Jacquin has persuaded me to revealthe full work on mynon bending, bending and straightening coin routine for his next Reality Is Plastic Supplement so only at that time will I also releasea video of the ACAAN effect on You-Tube and reveal exactl who I am to everyone"

Having got his reply I thought fair enough regard the tricks, but what a bloody ego as I already know exactly who he is as do the several dozen magicians who witnessed him perform these effects in the foyer lateat night (early morning) in The Ruskin, still that's creative artists for you - lol!

Anyhow sorry to end, Ionly ever meant to illustrate that at BlackpoolI'd witnessed a couple of "miracles" which truly concreted my belief that magic, hypnosis, mentalism and NLP can all be combined to create a whole that is far greater and more impressive than the sum of its parts.

I've just re-read over my original posts in this thread and its starting to sound like some sort of ad for this performers effects and/or for Anthony Jacquins Reality is plastic and I truly never intended that.

Theres more than enough people on here already who will tell you to get Ants book and those who get his next supplement are sure to grab the chance to get this version of ACAAN.

Oh and my final word on this subject (lets get back to the general thread which was trulythe point of my postings in the first place) is that I triedout both of this performers routines as described in my postings on this thread last night in a very rowdy funbar and although I expected them to work, I'dunderestimated the impact these effects would have on a member ofthe general public.

The reaction was far in excess of my usual sleight of hand and years ofpractice to achieve effects.
Photo-Wizard
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester
141 Posts

Profile of Photo-Wizard
Hi Bobser

Regards the ACAAN effect I understood it such when explained to us that the TT and NW are the most needed gimmicks for the effect to work in the manner we saw it performed which is exactly as described on here.

The NLP/Hypnosis covert use of is just to ensure that one of the volunteers (and only one) has no clue or recollection of what truly just occured to them and remember eveyrthing in the same manner as the watching audience.

And yes this is all done in full view of the audience without any pre-show work and without anyone being any the wiser.

As I said its the most off the wall combined use of a TT and NW that I've ever come across and feel certain that when Anthony Jacquins nextreality is plastic supplement comes out,those who get it and take up this performers offer will discover perhaps the most effective, reliable and clean version of ACAAN to date, assuming that they are prepared (have the bottle) to use the covert confusion methods explained and used in the effect.

For the record if the performancewas video and played back it would look exacty like my original description on here.

Indeed I emailed the performer in question again on Facebook and asked them if they have a video on You Tube and their reply was such

"I've been very underground and advising some top television names for several years now, so have been in two minds whether to release these effects to the general market. However Anthony Jacquin has persuaded me to revealthe full work on mynon bending, bending and straightening coin routine for his next Reality Is Plastic Supplement so only at that time will I also releasea video of the ACAAN effect on You-Tube and reveal exactl who I am to everyone"

Having got his reply I thought fair enough regard the tricks, but what a bloody ego as I already know exactly who he is as do the several dozen magicians who witnessed him perform these effects in the foyer lateat night (early morning) in The Ruskin, still that's creative artists for you - lol!

Anyhow sorry to end, Ionly ever meant to illustrate that at BlackpoolI'd witnessed a couple of "miracles" which truly concreted my belief that magic, hypnosis, mentalism and NLP can all be combined to create a whole that is far greater and more impressive than the sum of its parts.

I've just re-read over my original posts in this thread and its starting to sound like some sort of ad for this performers effects and/or for Anthony Jacquins Reality is plastic and I truly never intended that.

Theres more than enough people on here already who will tell you to get Ants book and those who get his next supplement are sure to grab the chance to get this version of ACAAN.

Oh and my final word on this subject (lets get back to the general thread which was trulythe point of my postings in the first place) is that I triedout both of this performers routines as described in my postings on this thread last night in a very rowdy funbar and although I expected them to work, I'dunderestimated the impact these effects would have on a member ofthe general public.

The reaction was far in excess of my usual sleight of hand and years ofpractice to achieve effects.
Matthew Wright
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Matthew Wright
Photo-wizard, I was there that night. I would hardly say there were dozens watching. There were 8 people (if you include your girlfriend). Whilst I agree that the subject would say that the coin bent I would not say the performance was quite as entertaining as you make out. Also, does being a hypnotist give people a split personality? as you seem to be talking about the performer and yourself as two different people when I am pretty sure you are one in the same.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Oh oh! The plot thickens. Thankyou Mathew. can you now pm me please and reveal the performer's full name and address? Thankyou,
And MP, no matter how much ammo I were to give you, I really don't think I or anyone else could possibly give any of your views credibility! This hurts you I know, but in the long run, when you're back working in the brocolli factory, you'll thank me for being honest.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
You know bobser I don't think you could intentionally give me anything. However unintentionally you make me look brilliant.

You had a chance on a thread to show me ONE just ONE example of this new 'development' and thriving phenomena you claim I don't know about. It doesn't even have to come from your own repetiore. Surely the internet is a big place. Show something hypnotists weren't doing 20-100 times better 20 or more years ago.

I'll be honest when I did a search I was even surprised at how shoddy, bad amatuerish and ugly this street thing really is.

And how it has reduced stage hypnosis to below the level of a three shell and pea trick. At least these guys keep the secret safe and not sell it to any idiot for a few bucks.

It is only a few steps away from exposure. Putting hypnosis in the hands of magicians is like giving a monkey a paintbrush and telling me there is a new art movement which is thriving.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2009-03-04 18:42, mindpunisher wrote:... Putting hypnosis in the hands of magicians is like giving a monkey a paintbrush and telling me there is a new art movement which is thriving.

Even though most of the big illusions shows have assistants sign non-disclosure agreements, the secrets to virtually everything done by magicians and mentalists are out there--if you want to look for them. So why, if everyone knows how Harbin's Zig-Zag and any of dozens of book tests are done, are there so few great magicians and mentalists? Because even if you know the secrets it takes work, skill, practice, and talent to be a great performer, and the truth is that few people have all of that or are willing to spend the time to develop it.

MP--magicians have always had the availability of hypnosis in their hands. Few use it. And just thinkg of the advantage: no assistants, no crates, no boxes, no animals, just a microphone and some chairs. Wow! But few people, magicians or not, can do stage hypnosis well.

In another thread, some people are upset about Google wanting to digitize all books (hmm. they're just posting this very old news). The secrets are out there now.

Guard the mysteries. Reveal them constantly. Let those who can use them do so. Others won't care or be interested.
Photo-Wizard
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester
141 Posts

Profile of Photo-Wizard
Matthew

With respect you should remember me as you accidentily spilt your drink on me whilst watching the bending coin routine.

No offence intented but I'm GAY so don't have a girlfriend but do have a husband so no idea what you are intimating.
Photo-Wizard
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester
141 Posts

Profile of Photo-Wizard
Forgot to mention you can search photo wizard on web and you will find my website.

Also you will find me on facebook and with details of the nightclub I am the Manager and DJ of,so with respect you are way off the mark.

hugs

Stuart.

PS: if your in any doubt Matthew find my website and you can check out who I am and what I look like and its nothing like the performer as you will discover. by the way if you'd turned round you would have seen all the amazed people behind you that night.
Matthew Wright
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Matthew Wright
Hi Stuart, I am sorry if I mixed you up. As I said, if I remember rightly there were eight (perhaps 9) people watching Mr. Royles performance and six of them were friends, one was Jonathans girlfriend and the other must have been you (and possibly one more).
I have looked at your website and can see that you are not Jonathan Royle- although you do have a couple of pictures of him there too so perhaps I wasn't too far off the mark. I presumed you to be Jonathan by the way you put a glossy sheen on the nights proceedings and that most of your posts seem to be pushing this thread. I suppose being a friend of his means I didn't miss the mark by too much. I did look around to see who was watching and at times there were some others watching but only because they were standing there and they didn't watch for long. By the end I can assure you that there were only 8 which kind of says everthing about the performance.
Jonathan may be a talented hypnotist but his performance is far from entertaining as was proved in his 30 second appearance at "Beat The Wand".
This thread is about mentalism and hypnosis combined and (from the little I have seen) Jonathan is not the future of the genre.

PS. Sorry if I spilt my drink on you!
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2009-03-04 20:01, dmkraig wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-04 18:42, mindpunisher wrote:... Putting hypnosis in the hands of magicians is like giving a monkey a paintbrush and telling me there is a new art movement which is thriving.

Even though most of the big illusions shows have assistants sign non-disclosure agreements, the secrets to virtually everything done by magicians and mentalists are out there--if you want to look for them. So why, if everyone knows how Harbin's Zig-Zag and any of dozens of book tests are done, are there so few great magicians and mentalists? Because even if you know the secrets it takes work, skill, practice, and talent to be a great performer, and the truth is that few people have all of that or are willing to spend the time to develop it.

MP--magicians have always had the availability of hypnosis in their hands. Few use it. And just thinkg of the advantage: no assistants, no crates, no boxes, no animals, just a microphone and some chairs. Wow! But few people, magicians or not, can do stage hypnosis well.

In another thread, some people are upset about Google wanting to digitize all books (hmm. they're just posting this very old news). The secrets are out there now.

Guard the mysteries. Reveal them constantly. Let those who can use them do so. Others won't care or be interested.

Well not really. Stage Hypnosis is a different media than magic. When it becomes an everyday occurence in the street. When dozens if not 100s of teenagers and bad street performers upload video footage of classic routines done in their bedroom it devalues it beyond reproach.

How anyone can dispute this is beyond me. Reveal the secrets is all about making some easy money. Getting secrets of stage hypnosis is not that much more difficult than going to the grocers and buying a pint of milk these days. And not that much more expensive.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2009-03-05 03:42, mindpunisher wrote:
... Stage Hypnosis is a different media than magic. When it becomes an everyday occurence in the street. When dozens if not 100s of teenagers and bad street performers upload video footage of classic routines done in their bedroom it devalues it beyond reproach.

How anyone can dispute this is beyond me. Reveal the secrets is all about making some easy money. Getting secrets of stage hypnosis is not that much more difficult than going to the grocers and buying a pint of milk these days. And not that much more expensive.

There are 100s, if not thousands of teenagers and bad street magicians performing classic magical routines in their bedrooms, at birthday parties, at school, etc. I don't see it harming "beyond reproach" any skilled magicians.

There have been bad representations of hypnosis in the media since before Trilby. Just recently there was an evil hypnotist on CSI, one of the most popular shows on television. Has that harmed any hypnotists? I don't think so.

On a video training by Don Mottin, he states that every time there's a news report saying that hypnosis isn't successful for smoking cessation or weight loss his business in those areas increases. Perhaps Barnum's concept that there is no bad publicity is correct.

There will always be a desire to see good entertainers. Unlike currency where the bad chases out the good, bad entertainers bring out the desire to see good ones. Plan 9 From Outer Space hasn't slowed the desire of people to see Casablanca or Citizen Kane.

I realize that disputing you is "beyond" your ability to understand. You're just stuck in a limiting belief pattern. I'll bet there are hypnotherapists in your area who can help you with that! Smile
Photo-Wizard
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester
141 Posts

Profile of Photo-Wizard
No probs Matthew,

We are all entitled to our opinions on things and yes I've done some Photo Design work for Royle, but also for many other acts (as illustrated on my site)

Incidentally theres a video of Beat The Wand on You-Tube and a very bizarre description with it and it runs over 3 minutes...
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
>>>>There have been bad representations of hypnosis in the media since before Trilby. Just recently there was an evil hypnotist on CSI, one of the most popular shows on television. Has that harmed any hypnotists? I don't think so.<<<<

There has NEVER EVER BEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS EVER IN THE HISTORY OF HYPNOSIS. And at least over here the stage industry collapsed because of the flood of bad hypnotists on to the market in the mid 90s.

Hypnosis was always thought of as something difficult to achieve and something special. Then the "gloss" was removed by the 100s of crap hypnotists in every bar causing continuous problems and grief. It became so common place and performed badly the mystery had gone.

This latest development just drives another nail into the coffin and ensures it will never make a comeback over here.

I know from pms it has also started to damage the market in other parts of the world with prices for performing plumetting. Due the flood of of newbies buying courses and eager to work for almost nothing.

But to see it on the street just kicks it between the legs a few more times....

You will be getting hypnosis dvds teaching you in kids magis sets next.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » A question to Mr. Jacquin - mentalism and hypnosis combined (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL