The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Warming Up The Audience! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
First I "discover the audience". That is, I haul my trunk onto the stage and start setting up with my back turned to the kids. Sooner or later (usually sooner) one or more of them says something, and I stop suddenly, looking from side-to-side (but not behind me) for the source of the sound, then shrug, and resume setting up. Well, as you may imagine, that's all the encouragement the kids need. They start calling "hey!!" and shouting things, whilst I look around...under the trunk...in my hat...all in vain. I call out asking where the noise is coming from and of course the kids yell "behind you!!!" I turn, look, and give a startled yelp at seeing the kids. (GALES of laughter) I ask why the kids are there, and upon learning that there's to be a magic show, I try to join the audience with Damon's comedey chair. Eventually the kids make it clear that THEYRE watching the show, and I'M performing it. Finally I do the Axtell clapometer. The kids now know that I'm funny & freindly NOT scary (I'm a pretty big guy) and they feel empowered after having had to explain things to me.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
517 Posts

Profile of spatrick
One Word - "Fushigi" !

Talk to the audience while contact juggling. Easy to do and you learn allot!

S. Patrick
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Quote:
On 2011-01-02 03:50, The Mighty Fool wrote:
First I "discover the audience". That is, I haul my trunk onto the stage and start setting up with my back turned to the kids. Sooner or later (usually sooner) one or more of them says something, and I stop suddenly, looking from side-to-side (but not behind me) for the source of the sound, then shrug, and resume setting up. Well, as you may imagine, that's all the encouragement the kids need. They start calling "hey!!" and shouting things, whilst I look around...under the trunk...in my hat...all in vain. I call out asking where the noise is coming from and of course the kids yell "behind you!!!" I turn, look, and give a startled yelp at seeing the kids. (GALES of laughter) I ask why the kids are there, and upon learning that there's to be a magic show, I try to join the audience with Damon's comedey chair. Eventually the kids make it clear that THEYRE watching the show, and I'M performing it. Finally I do the Axtell clapometer. The kids now know that I'm funny & freindly NOT scary (I'm a pretty big guy) and they feel empowered after having had to explain things to me.

Classic. I like it. I bet you get great feedback from this.

Patrick
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Oh yes indeed, thanks!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
This one is for Peter Marucci where ever you are
I like to do some hat manipulation in order to both get their attention, and to encourage their applause.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Hey Al!
I start both my kids shows and my adult act with some hat manipulations and hat gags.

I'm like Al Angello, how cool is that? Yey!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
George
Since we both know the KGB secret hand shake, and we both do hat manipulation, why don't we start our own little exclusive club. The biggest obsticle to it that I see is my wife won't let me get on an air plane unless there is a big fat pay check involved. The silly girl seems to think that I am too old to go out to play with my friends. I really don't think that she would let me go to Belfast without her, she seems to think that I'm always thinking about women, and she would never believe that I was going to Ireland to chat with a MAN. Niether do I, ah George are there any attractive women in northern Ireland?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Loads but I'll not tell your wife.
Simon Mandal
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Simon Mandal
Warming up the audience is soooo important.

I generally lead the kids in a series of "follow along" gestures and sayings.
The way I do this establishes my persona and gets everyone laughing and warmed up.

The ideal warm up really depends on a performers personality.
Anything that gets a performer's personality across, while getting the audience moving / following your lead is great.
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Axtell Off the Meter hands down. Then I go into the magic word thing. I have them shout abracadabra and have a banana appear in mid air. I say, "hey, who said have a banana!". I repeat this a couple of times trying to figure out who's saying it. By the end they all are and all are laughing. Now I'm ready to perform.

Mike Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Warming Up The Audience! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL