The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Buck Color Changing Knives (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2465 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
I know there has been a lot of discussions on the CCK, and Mojars are very good. I bought a set of Buck Knives from Brad Burt many years ago and find that's what I carry all the time. They look good, handle good, and they are knives carried by many people. It would be nice to have other know knives as gimmicks. Just wondering about what others thought.

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
Steve,
The Mogar knives are the most realistic set of color changing knives that I have seen. They look like a knife one would carry. The Scotty York set came close but did not have the right feel (I thought the knives were kind of cheaply made). The Merrill knives feel great to use, but look kind of dated. The old Erdanase? (I can’t remember the spelling) knives were a cool set; they had a blade that would not open unless you knew the secret.
Enjoy your knives,
Bruce
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Joe Mogar even makes custom knives.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Mogar's DVD is wonderfull as well. I bought the DVD hoping it would come with the knives since it was basically a bargain, But nope lol. Still glad I have the video though.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I like Mogar's and I like Lanny Kibbey's. Kibbey's are made from real pocketknives.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
842 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Quote:
On 2008-11-25 19:51, BCS wrote:
Steve,
<snip>
The old Erdanase? (I can’t remember the spelling) knives were a cool set; they had a blade that would not open unless you knew the secret.
Enjoy your knives,
Bruce

Enardoe?

I have those and the Color-fusing knives with Smash Climax (Ascanio?) They're all probably rusty and "gunky"; how would I clean them up?

FN
James Kernen
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona
160 Posts

Profile of James Kernen
I like the knives made by Ray Szwec, and I have always been a fan of J.P. Jackson.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 1:08am
Here is a nice comparison of knives:
http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/artknife.htm

I wonder if the set you bought at Brad's is one made by JP.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
FN,
Yes, Enardoe sounds right. I have had good luck cleaning the blades with really fine steel wool. On one set that I have, the pearlescent side kind of yellowed. I used a polish for clear plastics on it and it whitened back up to good as new.
Thanks,
Bruce
relayer66
View Profile
New user
San Diego
54 Posts

Profile of relayer66
Has anyone thought of having a custom knife maker create a set of CCK's? I know I have. Price would be high, no doubt, but quality would be unmatched.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-11-26 01:08, James Kernen wrote:
Here is a nice comparison of knives:
http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/artknife.htm

I wonder if the set you bought at Brad's is one made by JP.

He gets the nomenclature wrong, though. The correct term for what he calls "handles" or "covers" is "scales."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Matt Herbert
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Matt Herbert
I also have a set of the Buck Knives that I purchased from Brad Burt years ago. Brad worked a deal with Buck Knives and the set that he sold was manufactured by Buck. They came in the original Buck boxes, and are a joy to work with.
MikeyM71
View Profile
Regular user
Chesapeake, OH
153 Posts

Profile of MikeyM71
I don't really like the color changing knives, then again, I just never got into knives I guess.
<BR>Mikey M.
jocdoc
View Profile
Inner circle
Carlsbad, CA
1181 Posts

Profile of jocdoc
Up until a year or so ago, Buck Knives was located here in San Diego County (a relatively brief drive from Brad's shop). They relocated the entire company up to Idaho b/c costs of doing business (workers comp, etc) got out of hand.

I purchased my set from JP, but they were actually made by a close friend of his. They're a set of pharmacy knives which works well in my medical practice.
Life is an improv. The game goes on...
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1321 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I'm always looking for sets for sale.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2008-12-07 19:12, MikeyM71 wrote:
I don't really like the color changing knives, then again, I just never got into knives I guess.

Which routines have you seen performed? The routine is extremely important. I find the knives to be one of the spectator favorites in my close-up formal and walk around shows.
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
One type of CCK not mentioned is the Spanish style knife used by DeLa Torre/Ascanio/Tamariz. I have a set of these and like them very much. They used to be available through Stevens, but I don't think they sell them any more. I got my set through a very kind Spanish magician, made by a craftsman. The link above (repeated here: http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/artknife.htm
) has photos and descriptions of these knives about half-way or so down. They are very nice to handle.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
A set of black & mother of pearl color-changing knives was the first magic trick I ever bought from a real magic shop -- Mr. Tannen's. This must have been in 1963 or 1964. I still have the gimmicked knife, mislaid the other two in one of my many moves. I was thinking of picking up a set of Mr. Mogar's, based on the fact that Mr. Haydn uses them. The "feel" feature makes a lot of sense.

Woland
sushimonster
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of sushimonster
Be sure to check out Chad Long's FLASH. It is knives without the knives.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2465 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Chad's is very nice and certainly different.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't like CCK's that have logo crests on one scale only. I think it telegraphs the method.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Buck Color Changing Knives (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL