The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Single most important trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wassabi_87
View Profile
Loyal user
moscow, idaho
226 Posts

Profile of wassabi_87
What, from your perspective, is the the single most important trick? What did you get the most reactions on? What was the simplest? etc. etc.

Thanks for the input. Smile
bike during the day,
do magic at night,
and very early the next morning,
homework.
Alex W.
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Alex W.
I think (after reading this board for a while) that many street magicians here will tell you that the Cups & Balls is the "killer" in their act.
Atlanta Magician
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, GA
13 Posts

Profile of Atlanta Magician
I have to say that what draws the most people when I busk is my escape from a straight jacket!

It builds a bigger crowd which of course translates into a bigger hat at the end of the day! Plus it plays huge and packs up nice and small!

Jeff
"There is no conversation more boring than the one where everybody agrees."
-Michel de Montaigne
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I know this is not what you are looking for, but my most important trick on the street is getting the spectator to put something in the hat. Everything, every joke, every trick, every bit of business is aimed at that one important trick (call it the “Hat Trick”). It is probably my most difficult trick too!

More to your point, my Bill-to-Lemon (Bill-to-Balloon) is probably the most fun, most interactive, most magical trick for the audience, and thus is probably my most important trick. It always garners a strong reaction. It is central to my act.

Trouble with this kind of question is that what works well for me may not work at all for you or anyone else and I may not be able to pull off what works for someone else.

You also asked what trick I do gets the most reactions. Well, every trick in my act gets a strong reaction or else I rethink it and maybe even replace it. I do try to build to a good strong “wow” finish. An impossible production usually closes my act. That is a short, chop cup, Benson bowl, or Cups and Balls that ends with an impossible final load.

Finally you ask what is the simplest trick in the act. All of them!!! I focus on presentation, fun, and magical outcomes, NOT on methodology. Ropes, Bill-to-Lemon (Balloon), and Cups and Balls (Chop Cup, Benson Bowl) is my act. There is nothing really technically difficult in it at all.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
I perform "the Mongolian pop knot" and people love it.
Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
BryanDreyfus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of BryanDreyfus
I have to agree with Harry.

The main concern for a street performer is to get the "Hat Trick" down pat.

I don't do street...I do restaurant...I don't need to go for tips but it beats the minimum the restaurant pays.

I would like for the table to think they came up with the idea of tipping and feel "urged" to do so.

just me,

Bryan
Oh sure, I can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism", but I can't type t-h-e.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
invisible palm from "On the Loose"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
My closer... a card in balloon routine. Also for bigger venues I use the Ken Brooke routine -- multiplying bottles. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
The rising card with multiple selections

alleycat Smile

Actually, the single most important effect I know is the famous "Eclipse of the Sun" deal. The only real drawback is that you have to do it in the daytime. Your timing really has to be impecable too.

I know we aren't supposed to tip the secrets of marketed effects here, but the method to this one can be found in Mark Twain's novel, _A Conneticut Yankee in King Authur's Court_. This book isn't even available from most magic dealers. Anyway, without saying too much, I will tell you that you will have to look at some scientific journals or at least some really good almanacs to find out when a total solar eclipse is coming. Okay, I won't say anything more--but this effect packs small, instantly resets, and plays really big!

alleycat Smile
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Alleycat,

But the reset takes seventeen years or so. Great trick though. Mind if I try it? Smile

Mark
What would Wavy do?
hat trick
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of hat trick
Did somebody say "Hat Trick"? To me, the most important trick is entertaining the crowd. As I say in my opening pitch, "...for it's my task to entertain you and it's your task to be entertained. So, if you enjoy the show, please, let my hat know."
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
the most difficult trick...well in new orleans its getting them to stop...i north carolina its getting them to give....the magic is easy!

koz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Single most important trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL