We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Mis-made Lady Blades (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2227 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Which is the best version of the Mismade Lady?

Years ago, I made one using the Osborne plans. It had 6 blades, 2 of which were gimmicked. I needed another assistant to push in the 3 other blades while I was also doing the others.

I have also seen it done with only 4 (hinged) blades. But I think you had to be careful not exposing the box bottoms.

Are there other (better) versions? And which do you prefer?
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I did the MisMade lady for Paul Osborne for 4 months, 3 times a day 6 days a week.

We use ALL the blades.. and I find that was is the best way for us. You never know the angles for the stage we were on.. (essentially 300 degrees.. and views from above AND below)...

My thoughts are that if you can get away with fewer blades.. do it.. however.. the more assistant's you ahve for this illusion.. the better it is!! I had 4 in the routine.. me , the girl in the box and two more assistants dressed as Keystone Cops.. the routine was funny.. fast.. and got GREAT audience reaction. We were totally out of breath at the end.. and still had the sub trunk and a talking trick to go!!. but we all loved doing it.

There are other versions of the effect.. I don't' think that any of them improve on the original.. as most involve either taking blades out for the reveal.. or not using them to begin with.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1589 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Makeupguy,

BTW - Great dancing cane video on Youtube. I was thoroughly impressed with how easy you made it look.

BYUDAD
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
A million years ago I used to assist on a mismade. We used the six blades, and like makeupguy we used four people in total to do the routine. It was a really smooth presentation, and as mentioned above, a real crowd-pleaser. I have seen it done with fewer blades, and while you can "get away with it" I've also seen many performers flash things that shouldn't be seen, etc.

Personally, I prefer the six blades.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
You can get away with 3 solid blades, and flaps to cover any openings you are concerned with (similar to a Stack of Boxes). I believe Chuck Jones works with this version. Also a streamlined version does not restack the boxes, but just moves the numbers on the front of the boxes, or the body shapes, if you are using this sort of design.

Blair
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
If you're looking for someone to make you a good set of blades, Michael Berends makes some great ones.

http://www.mb-fx.com
Paul_Rheaume
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Paul_Rheaume
Blair is right, I worked on some small details in the Jones version (the one that he built after the original was distributed by the maker). Without tipping his original secret, the Jones updated version does use 3 unprepared solid blades, and the numbers are switched. Another point is that the boxes are never turned around at all.
There are no back doors.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Paul,

Neat and clean, what an illusion should be!!!

Blair
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2227 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Thanks for all your replies. Yes, a long time ago, I used 3 assistants (lady and 2 male assistants). One of the males was handing out the blades, and the other and I were putting it in. Then, I had the 2 males separate the boxes. It was a fast-paced routine. I used to do it nightly in the Playboy nightclub for 2 years when it still existed 25 years ago.
I was just thinking of making a miniature version using a small 9 year old girl.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Lou:

Sounds cute!
Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
I had my blades made out of steel (I think) instead of aluminum. They are soooo heavy! My builder joked that I better have some big strong ladies helping me. They have to look realistic, how ever they're made. Flimsy looking ones won't do.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
A nine year old girl probably won't stay small for long. Build it fast and get it working!

I used four people to present this one, too; the girl in the box, two male assistants, and me. When three people are moving boxes around, it is easier to set them properly without things being obvious. We also used all six blades. I actually never thought of using less, although I doubt I would.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2227 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I uploaded this in youtube today. The 6 blade are ungimmicked. This is what I am planning to make for my 9 year old assistant. No need to turn the boxes around. The boxes could also be made smaller.
What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNNVB7qhC4o
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I've never seen that performance before. Who is it?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Jethro Magic
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Jethro Magic
Kababayan,Can't go wrong with Osborne plans.
Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
I use 6 blades (2 gimmicked), but they are made out of steel. They are soooo heavy!! (Stupid me thought aluminum wouldn't look as realistic.)

3 blades seems not as good if you are moving boxes around , IMHO. What covers the tops of the boxes when they are separated?
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Lothar,

Read my post above for the answer. If you do not follow, PM me.

Blair
freestylefingers
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of freestylefingers
I am looking for plans for the Mis-Made Girl Illusion! Do you have them?
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Paul Osborne does.

B
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Mis-made Lady Blades (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL