The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Telephone Bill (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2845 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I am releasing my latest effect, “Telephone Bill,” after a whirlwind few days test-driving some potential tweaks only to realize that my original presentation plays the strongest. Every time I thought I was improving it, I came back to concluding that my first idea is my best idea.

I never strayed from the method, which is squeaky clean, but kept wondering and trying out different twists presentation-wise. To those of you here who endured this process with me, and you know who you are (!), thank you for your patience.

While “Telephone Bill” can be performed live and in person and plays very strongly that way, I designed it (surprise!) for use over the phone. Where given the inherent impossible conditions, it plays all that much stronger.

Here is the basic effect:

“After calling your friend or a potential client, you have him shuffle a pack of cards and randomly cut off about 1/3rd of the deck. The rest of the cards are set aside and not touched again.

He selects a “control color” and deals his pile into two hands, one for each of you. Picking up your hand, he counts the number of cards matching the control color, keeping the number secret. Without asking any questions or requiring any further steps, you tell him how many cards of the opposite color are in his own hand!”

Good friend and mentor Millard Longman was one of the first persons I ambushed with “Telephone Bill.” I simply left him a message telling to call me back when he had five minutes and a deck of cards handy.

Millard called back and I performed my new baby. At first there was dead silence and then he began laughing so loudly his wife came to check up on him and make sure he was OK!

He had this to say when I asked him to sum up the experience afterwards in a few sentences:

“When Dr. Bill did this effect for me over the phone, I was stunned! The procedure is fast and easy (no boredom here as in many phone tricks) requiring only a deck of playing cards. There seems to be no way for the performer to know anything about the number of cards since he is on the phone and cannot see what you are doing.

First class telephone magic!”

This exemplifies the responses I’ve received from magi and laypeople alike. Just so you know, not only do you not see what the person on the other end of the line is doing, you are not relying on hearing as they count or the length of time it takes to complete any of your requests. There is no guesswork or estimation.

Also, “Telephone Bill” can be performed with an incomplete deck, something very important when calling your average layperson. Or at least my family and friends!

“Telephone Bill” plays as “remote clairvoyance,” as the participant doesn’t know the number of cards until after you ask him to count to verify your impression. As usual, I include several tips that are applicable to many other effects and the performance of mentalism, especially phone mentalism, in general.

The PDF is only six pages long but packs a lot of information within. No essays or amusing anecdotes this time, just good, solid mentalism.

Given the holiday weekend, it isn’t possible to get the ad in place for a few days so I thought I’d get the ball rolling here.

“Telephone Bill” is only ten dollars and can be obtained by sending that amount via PayPal to wcushman@bellsouth.net. This is not a presale, the PDF is complete so turn around time will be within 24 hours.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6322 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Oh, boy... here it comes. I read it. It's good... just like everything else Bill puts out. An easy over-the-phone effect that uses the spectator's own cards.

I think Bill is keeping some sort of idea making machine under that fro.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I just had the opportunity to read through this manuscript and it is a fantastic over-the-phone piece. It is, as was pointed out above, "An easy over-the-phone effect that uses the spectator's own cards" but is not really a card trick. It is a wonderful, and easy piece of over-the phone Mind Reading.

I have to be honest with you, this is the first Telephone Bill I ever enjoyed looking at, and it is the first one that I will show to others. Smile

Tony
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6322 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Tony added some stuff I forgot to say. Bill has included his script that adds more deception to it and allows you to appear to have more hits than just the effect itself.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2845 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Thanks gentlemem! This one is so much fun to perform. Maybe becuase it is mine, but the directions are few and easy to follow.

It doesnn't seem like the effect begins until the very end and all the work is done. When that is out of the way, the person on the other end of the line holds their hand above their cards and you tell them the number. Easy-peasy.

And like mentioned above, along the way, you have numerous opportunitites to read other aspects of what is happening in the room the participant is callng you from. It can get a bit spooky. Quite the bang for ten bucks.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
This is another nice effect from Bill. Very easy to read, understand and implement.

As with most "over the phone' effects, audience management is critical. You must be able to give clear and precise instructions and the perticipant must be able to understand such instructions and be able to easily implement those insturctions. Over the phone, you cannot see if the participant is messing up nor can he understand if he is mession up.

Bill's instructions (heck, his script) are clear and are easy to follow. Almost as easy as a "paint-a-number" kit. Just follow the script...you can't go wrong--and the participant will easily be able to understand and implement your instructions.

Another winner from Dr. Bill.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
How did Bill come up with this fine effect in the first place? Just look at that photo and explain how he even gets a phone near his ear. C'mon. I'm waiting.

Oh well.

I called several friends and acquaintances (summer conjurors, summer not) this morning and had loads of fun baffling them easily. Later, when my neighbor dropped by to borrow some tools, I had him sit on the far side of the room while I walked him through Bill's effect. He left shaking his head in wonder.

This is a excellent out-of-the-room demonstration of clairvoyance, remote viewing, mindreading.

Grand Holidays,
Mick Ayres
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10577 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Spooky?

Heheh...

As Bill knows, I fired him off my idea to turn the thing into a bizarre magick mentalism routine that combines also psychic readings and the Ying Yang theme... and interacting with one's own dark shadow self - with the mystery entertainer being the facillitator over the phone to guide the person into the Twilight Zone!

Well worth the price!!! The method can easily be shaped for your own presentation style, like I just did.

So what is next? The Mr. Bill Roulette of Horrible Mr. Hand Events... or the Send me the Bill - a Mail effect? Keep em coming!!!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2845 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
How about, "The Bill Is In The Mail" and when you open your package, it is full of hair. Meanwhile back at the Café, may avatar is still fifteen but bald.
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1917 Posts

Profile of DT3
Telephone is SO much fun!
Rick
View Profile
Elite user
Va.
444 Posts

Profile of Rick
I just got this and man was it worth it..Bill I will use this! Thanks..
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
This is by far an Out-Standing effect, absoloutly devestating & for me the BEST effect for 2008!

Thank you Dr Bill.
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I got mine & haven't even read it yet...what the huh is wrong with me?

Tonight, tonight!

Nathan
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2845 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Thanks, guys, and while that is some compliment Dr. REvil, it is hard for me to imagine my short but sweet contribution to phone magic wearing such a grand mantle. But I do appreciate the sentiment.

And, yes, Nathan what the huh is wrong with you? Smile. Just teasing, I know you have a busy life and whenever you find time to give Telephone Bill proper attention that will be the best time to not just read it, but to USE it.

People seem to be having a lot of fun with this one and it is creating many inspired variations and presentations. I love when things work out in just that way.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
I finally read Dr. Bill's latest release...

Once again, Dr. Bill has provided our community a great resource and a clever idea. I really enjoy powerful over the phone mental effects and Bill's is just that. For years, I have enjoyed performing Eddie Fields "over the phone" effect (the proper name escapes me). I am sure Bill's will serve me in the exact same way.

If a person wanted a complete set of phone effects, I whole heartedly recommend:

Telephone Bill (our own Dr. Bill)
Eddie Fields effect (in the Greater Arfult Dodges book)
HASTERIX (Lewis Jones)

Now... who can I call at 6:55 in the morning?

Sean
Lumas
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
202 Posts

Profile of Lumas
I rarely comment on effects I purchase because the majority of the time, they are either 1) very bad or 2) mediocre. Also, a great deal of effects are not usable in the real world.

I read this a few days ago, made some presentational tweaks, and performed this last night to a few different friends on the phone. Needless to say, they were quite amazed.

Pros:
-Extremely simple to perform.
-Presentational directions are very clear, so there is no chance of your spectator messing up the trick due to him/her misinterpreting your instructions.
-Plays very strong.
-Minimal counting of cards, deck cutting, dealing, etc. This point makes or breaks most telephone effects for me.

Cons:
-Like most self-working effects of this nature, there are a few things the spectator has to do to make the effect work (you weren't expecting real mind reading, now, were you?). However, as I already stated above, the processes are minimal and it flows well, so this really isn't much of a con. I felt the need to tweak the patter a bit to go along with what the spectator is doing, though it will play just as strong as is.

Overall:
I would recommend that anyone looking for an impromptu, self-working, hard hitting effect, considers purchasing "Telephone Bill." I know I will not only continue to use this over the phone, but that I will also use it in person when I am requested to perform something with a borrowed deck. This would be a great opener.

This is one of the few times that I can truly say, anyone who purchases this effect will not be disappointed and will have a new, solid effect that they will actually use.

Good job, Dr. Bill!
dcoins
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of dcoins
This sounds terrific. Not surprising as Bill's material is always top notch. One question: will the spectator be able to reconstruct the effect after it is completed by simply repeating steps?

Thanks

D
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
No worries there, D.

One of the things I like most about 'Telephone Bill' is that it ISN'T a selected card revelation. Lately, I've been calling friends and performing Dr. Bill's routine...then I use their same cards to perform 'Reality Phone Experience' from Predict-Abilities. These routines dovetail perfectly.

Grand holidays,
Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
dcoins
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of dcoins
Terrific. Thanks a lot.

D
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
This is one of those things where it's hard to work out why it worked even when you do it yourself. I've only done it in person so far, rather than over the phone, and a typical reaction was "But that's impossible". There are instructions your victim has to follow, but they are put very clearly in the text, and I haven't had anyone find them either unclear or over complex.

This would be ideal to have in case someone asked you to 'do something' impromptu out of the blue, and had a deck of cards which may or may not be complete, and where you didn't want to launch into a series of effects, but did want to give a flavour of the sort of thing you do.

The pdf is clearly laid out and the text is easy to follow. Dr Bill has done a good job, in my opinion this is a clever piece of something to have tucked away in your brain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Telephone Bill (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL