The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Sprung and Dagger by Ryan Schlutz (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2913 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
SPRUNG AND DAGGER BY RYAN SCHLUTZ

Effect: In a wonderful take on the classic Card Stab Plot, a "sword card" appears visually from nowhere, impaling the side of a rubber-banded deck. Upon removing the rubber band and spreading to the sword card's location, it is revealed to have landed directly on top of the previously selected card!

Review: I honestly had no idea what to expect when I received Sprung and Dagger. I didn't know if there would be a gaff involved or even if (god forbid) it was simply a manuscript. I was very pleasantly surprised by Sprung and Dagger.

What you get upon purchasing is an attractive packaging with a nice Medieval appearance to it. I opened the bag and dumped out a small brown envelope. Upon opening I discovered two of the gaff necessary to pull this effect off, as well as a few rubber bands for practice. I whipped out a deck of cards and got to work.

Are the playing cards received gimmicked? No, not at all. What you get are two playing cards. Both have normal faces and the backs are plain white with a clear image of a small dagger printed right across the back. There are very nicely made, in Bicycle stock naturally and I appearciate that two cards were included. The dagger on the backs can also be quite visisble in a parlour setting, which is also a plus because my intent was to use this effect as a performance piece.

The instructions are well-written and easy to understand, however I feel some parts could have been more specific. You received a booklet with black and white (but quite clear) photos and naturally typed instructions. A few subtleties, tips, and even olther handlings are also outlined, including an impromptu method that excludes the use of the sword card.

What Ryan Schlutz is marketing is, basically, a brilliant new method for a rubber-banded deck revelation (ala what Paul Harris and Jay Sankey, among others, popularized). This method is my new favourite. The revelation is instantaneous, surprising, and impossible. Also, after the deck has been "activated" and the cards are ready for the revelation, you can actually casually handle the deck or even table it! That's right, it will not spring open prematurely, it's quite secure until you use a very simple move to activate it.

Essentially, the revelation looks like this: The deck is being hald on it's side, long edges parallel to the floor. The deck isa double wrapped in a rubber band. A gentle shake, and suddenly a card appears, standing upright and protruding from the deck!

Combined with the sword card, this is a FANTASTIC revelation. The sword concept makes this revelation a very logical one which is also a very nice touch. It's also very instantaneous and will not require much jerking around or cover to mask a hidden move. Just a very gentle shake will mask the dirty portion of the revelation (when the sword card swings up into view.

My current presentation uses Sprung and Dagger as a performance piece that goes on for about five minutes. I like my routine, but you certainly do not have to use this as a performance piece. It's great for a walkaround setting or even formal close-up and parlour shows. It's quite flexible and it all feels very organic. Plus, if your presentation suggests that you'll be attempting the World's Most Dangerous Card Trick (as mine does) you will no doubt keep your audiences attention from beginning to end.

Overall, this is a great effect by Ryan Schlutz and I give it an 8/10. Lots of thought has been clearly put into this and the result is a flexible, logical, entertaining, and amazingingly visual card revelation. This is definitely recommended for all close-up or parlour workers, I have a feeeling most of you will start using this.

Sprung and Dagger is available at http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com

Michael Kras
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
Montgomery Village, Maryland
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
Thanks for the great review work. I'll be trying this one out in the near future I hope.
Visit my blog: ScienceIsMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Sprung and Dagger by Ryan Schlutz (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL