The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Frank Hudson - R.I.P. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TonyMc
View Profile
New user
Glossop, UK
52 Posts

Profile of TonyMc
It is with great sadness that I have to report the passing of my pal, Frank Hudson. If you didn't know Frank by name, you would surely have known his work - he invented the Coin Press and the Ninja Coins and created gimmicked coins for many, many magicians and dealers. He passed away peacefully in his sleep last Saturday night and will be sorely missed especially by Jim Critchlow, Harold Cataquet and me at our regular four'ems.

I first got to know Frank through another of our mutual hobbies at The Stockport Militaria Collectors' Society. In his younger days he used to make the most exquisite miniature pistols - flintlocks, wheelocks and early Colt revolvers. A very clever and thoroughly decent bloke.

If anyone wishes to PM me I'll pass on any messages to his wifwe and family.

Tony
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1667 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Tony, I didn't know Frank or his magic, but I am sorry to hear of his passing.

Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Mystic Monk
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Mystic Monk
Frank was one of those very rare people, a very talented engineer and interested in magic. Some of the things frank has made for me over the years are staggering.
Frank and I worked on many ideas, the majority of which were too way out to be commercial but we had a great time and lot of laughs.
I will miss him very much.

Jim Critchlow
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
362 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Because Frank preferred to remain in the shadows, very few will have heard of him, but as Tony pointed out, many will know his work.

Frank was based in the North of England, and for almost two decades, he and I would get together once a month. In that time, he would have made some special coins for me, or some other metal work intended for magical use. My favorite piece is probably the ring on bolt. At the end of a ring & string routine, you put the ring on the string, close your hand around it, and when you open your hand, there is a nut around the string. You then reach into your pocket and remove a nut and bolt which contains the spectator's ring.

It was great to have a metal worker as talented as Frank. Whatever I wanted, he could make... It's a pity that Frank didn't publicly market his stuff. His quality was better than virtually all the coin makers out there. He would pick up the coins of these "masters" and point out flaws in their workmanship. I'm not putting down these guys, but Frank was a perfectionist at what he did.

I'll miss Frank!
Harold Cataquet
jennings
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of jennings
A couple of months ago Frank showed me some of his nested coin sets and gave me a demonstration of what could be achieved with them. Even as a hardened card fan I really did appreciate the quality of his work and ordered a set of coins from him. He delivered them to me at our last monthly meeting. I have been working on a routine with his coins for the past few weeks and I was intending to show it to Frank at our next get together. His loss was a shock and he will be missed by our group.
GG
View Profile
New user
UK
85 Posts

Profile of GG
Frank will be missed,by all that Knew him,and through his wonderfull craftsmanship, I have have never met him,but have spoken on the phone several times over the last few years,and have had many things made up. I once bought a bill tube from a famous brand name,and was not that pleased, on talking to Frank he told me of his, I bought one,and It's a beauty,flawless, brilliant, very kind and clever man.
I to will miss Frank.
davehcom
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of davehcom
Thanks to everyone that has posted comments in this forum. My fathers memory will live on through the craftmanship of his work.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Your father's memory will also live through memories you have of him and your descendants. I am sorry for your loss.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
lshudson
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of lshudson
I would just like to say thanks to everyone that came to my dads funeral on Wednesday and for everyones kind words. Lisa
TonyMc
View Profile
New user
Glossop, UK
52 Posts

Profile of TonyMc
Harold, Jim and I had our first get together without Frank last night - a strange, sombre and poignant meeting. We sorted through some of his finished but undelivered work for his wife, Jean and realised just how good his products were.

He'll be really missed in The Ruskin Hotel in February.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Frank Hudson - R.I.P. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL