The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » need a bit of help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I have been searching for the "Jumping Discs of Edmund Scientific Fame", with no luck. It seems they no longer sell them! Does anyone have any other sources for these?
I would like to get a few.
Thanks.
k Smile
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
These things are also known as "bimetallic discs".

I posted a similar request on several other magic forums (possibly earlier, here on the MagicCafe) and was told that these jumping discs are no longer made.

I have the Edmund Scientific catalog; and have searched their web site, to no avail. I even asked Docc Hilford where he got his (he uses them in his new booklet "Moutains of Madness" [sic]), and he told me he got his from Edmund Scientific. I even did a search on the internet without any success, other than a couple of mentions of these in educational science projects.

To date: none of the responders, nor myself, has been successful in locating these little guys.

If you locate a source, please let me know.

Magickally,
Dave Birtwell
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of Sir T
Tell you what: send me a description of what these disks do, and I will contact my friend who works at a Scientific suppply house. I'll find out if they are made, but under a different name or by a different company.

Kevin Smile
themagician64
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of themagician64
Sometimes American Science & Surplus has them. Call (847)- 647- 0011. Ask them to send you a catalog. Keep checking the catalogs they send you.
They show up sometimes, when they get a surlpus. It's usually a good deal! Also check out http://www.sciplus.com to
request a catalog.
may the Greats Live On!
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Thanks, I called Edmund- they got sold/bought last year, and they no longer carry them! I will check Science Surplus, folks.

Kevin, the disc is made with two dissimilar metals. When pressed or heated they'll "set", and when the metal cools; it snaps. It sends the disc flying, or jumping. It can take a few minutes, which is the idea- gives the magician time to get clear! Smile
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
cogliostro
View Profile
New user
Tampa
99 Posts

Profile of cogliostro
My wife is a teacher, and they were given several jumping discs at a training class, along with a bunch of party favors. Instead of hitting up Edmund Scientific, perhaps a party store would be in order. Of course those are made out of plastic, and you get about... (quick timing here) twenty seconds to get out of the way.

- Rob
Wiley
View Profile
New user
St. Paul, Minnesota
33 Posts

Profile of Wiley
The folks at American Science and Surplus (who, incidentally, give great customer service and are really fun people) don't carry the bi-metal discs any more...they directed me back to Edmund Scientific.

Way back when, Edmund used to sell them as business promotional giveaways--you could get your logo, etc printed on them... The ones I have I bought from American Science and Surplus and have their logo on them. Maybe there's a business promotions company that still carries them....
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Thanks all!
I actually used to carry the plastic ones in my store years ago, alas they are too quick for my needs.... but further research has turned up the Klixon switch, the current trade name of the Spencer disc or Bi-metallic disc (named for the guy-Spencer- who invented it) I will keep checking the Sci surplus folks, perhaps they are getting them as no goes for the switch works.
Thanks again all for the help!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » need a bit of help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL