The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » How to script moves? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

simchamagic
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of simchamagic
Hi!

How do you guys go about scripting moves, especially at a 'magic to music' part? I mean - this could take pages over pages of tedious sentences.

Let's say vanishing a card (music at background):

Right foot - step forwards.
Left foot - step forwards.
Right hand - move from the waist to shoulder level.
Right fingers - move inwards and outwards showing the card on both sides.
(Head - looking at hand)
Right hand - make upwards motion whilst vanishing the card.
(Head - looking up to the air)
Etc. Etc. - this is only for a 3 second part!

What is the correct way to go over here?

Thanks!

Simcha
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
How you choreograph your moves would depend on the your character and the style of music you use.
Tempo will dictate.
Classic, rock, jazz, etc, etc?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Is this a real question about choreography and dance?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
Quote:
On 2008-12-01 16:22, simchamagic wrote:
(Head - looking at hand)

Is this how you want the audience to perceive / remember the effect?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
You can draw a diagram of the steps and notes of rhythm and music.

- Slow, slow, quick, quick
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Whatever works. I don't do dance magic, so I can't really answer that part, but whatever it takes to produce clear, usable instructions for anyone who will need those instructions. You are trying to create consistency. Your script (blocking) exists to facilitate the creation of that consistency. Use still photos of each pertinent move. Video yourself making the motions, whatever gets the job done. In blocking my performance, I only insert basic literary descriptions of pertinent moves, then look for potential difficulties in early rehearsals. Those problem spots receive notes as well and I take that information into my final rehearsals and performance. Once learned, the script itself has little use.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Quote:
On 2008-12-01 16:22, simchamagic wrote:
Hi!

How do you guys go about scripting moves, especially at a 'magic to music' part? I mean - this could take pages over pages of tedious sentences.

Let's say vanishing a card (music at background):

(Head - looking at hand)
Etc. Etc. - this is only for a 3 second part!

What is the correct way to go over here?

Thanks!

Simcha

If you want to be complete and accurate what you laid out is exactly what you should do. it is tedious. It will take a long time and it is a lot of work. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
It depends how much of dance steps you know. You could write out each move you make to the music. That’s what I do. This way I can remember years from now. Each step to each beat of the music must be broken down this way. If you have a move or step in between the beats, then you count it by halves. For example, one and two and three and four, etc.

I like to put the counts on one part of the page and the step underneath. For instance:

One, two, three and four, five, six, seven and

Step, step, step ball change. Step, produce fan, step, cross right over left and

eight.

touch.

If you are not a dancer, you can still draw it out this way. I like to combine the steps with the actual movement to the trick. For instance, walk a few steps, produce a cane, then move some more. This way it’s not dance, dance, dance… then do the trick. Then dance, dance, some more.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Re:
Quote:
I like to put the counts on one part of the page and the step underneath. For instance:

One, two, three and four, five, six, seven and

Step, step, step ball change. Step, produce fan, step, cross right over left and

eight.

I did that once to record a handling for a coin vanish ... about twenty years ago and kept the page until recently. You see I recorded the timing or the actions but lost the sleight itself - and so kept the scrap as a reminder in the hopes that I could remember the rest. No such luck.

IMHO you can use a video recorder and work with a dance coach to get things into proper notation if you need it on paper.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I think choreographers use something called Laban notation to record their dances. Don't know much about it. MIght be useful . . . or not. Google?

Jack Shalom
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
It's like Sanskrit if you have ever seen it. It's a good idea, but like a foreign language, you have to learn.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
You can script moves in a number of ways, but it really comes down to what you want from the exercise: a written record or a magic act.

It's easy to get carried away with the details and totally forget the point of the thing. Besides, every time you make a minor change in the moves, you need to go back and change the notation. I've been there. Eventually, I settled on just enough notes that I could remember the routine. And then came the videotape.

If you're doing the act to music, by far the best way is to get the sheet music and jot your notes right on it, using a shorthand that you can develop yourself. Of course this requires that you can read music, at least enough to know where you are.

Ballroom dancers often use such a shorthand: RF for right foot, F for forward, and so forth -- basically what tommy described. Sometimes it's in a column format, where one line is for tempo, another for footwork, and another for direction. But the trick is to avoid getting so wrapped up in the abbreviations and detail that you end up missing the forest for the chlorophyll in the leaves. Ballroom teachers have lots of stories of people who had the moves down perfectly -- and moved like a robot.

Memory and repetition still work, and a video camera is invaluable.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Become the effect (And I'm not kidding) Do the thing to the music until it feels perfect. Then do it until your muscles remember it by themselves ( In conjunction to the music). This frees your mind. Then use your mind to analyze the crowd as you perform the effect and make the necessary changes.

This works very well until the client has your wife turn off the music while you are in the middle of it all Smile
(Those darn retirement communities here in Florida!!!)
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Script is focused on effects when your question asks how to illustrate methods (body language in this instance).

I could therefore give an infinite number of replies to your question.
"Like the fog blurs everything when it gets to it..." (illustrating the parrallel between the forward move and the vanish)

"Like life disappears when the trap opens under the feet of the hangman"

I can't move my hand further 'cause it may get chopped as well

The air is pretty acid there...

What you see is not always what you get

Just a question... does it vanish or does it become invisible?

If you get there, you just move into a blind spot

There are black holes that no one can see, they swallow everything

Love is in the air... or is it death?

Some people are nihilists... don't give them your card

Cards have always expressed destiny: even if we know what they mean, the future can't be seen

Don't think that giving your card means a lot: when people look for it, most often they've lost it.

etc...
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » How to script moves? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL