The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Sound System Help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Actually, when some people tell me it is too loud, they mean it. It's not because they are sitting too close. It's because I don't really need a PA system in some circumstances, but I was using it.

I've never used a PA system for a birthday party, nor a child care centre show, nor a classroom show.

In some cases, I have found that I don't even need it for assembly shows or other large audiences. The students would have heard me fine without it, and my voice wouldn't have be strained.

There are really two problems. People not using a sound system when they should. And people using a sound system when they shouldn't.

Too often, performers don't pay attention to this second problem.

- Donald

P.S. I actually have set the mic aside, and just talked to the audience without amplification, on a few occassions, even at assemblies with groups of up to 200 students.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
KidMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Bradford
183 Posts

Profile of KidMagic
Thanks a bunch guys! I don't think I could have got better help!

I am going this weekend to hopefully pick up the Fender Passport 150 after what I have read I think having 2 speakers would be best. I may even pick up the Mackie for smaller shows, but for now I want something like the pasport.

Zach
Magically yours,
KidMagic/Zachary Gauthier
www.kidmagic.ca
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2008-12-04 11:48, magicman845 wrote:
I agree that a 2/4 speaker setup is always preferable. However, the Mackie will allow you to grow into that system. In fact, if you daisy chain two of the Mackies, you actually have 150 watts per channel, or a total output of 300 watts. In contrast the Fender Passport only has a total output of 250 watts. So, two Mackies could actually be considered the "bigger" system.

The specs for the Mackie unit state that it is 100 watts RMS, which I believe is the normal "cruising speed" for the system. Although it is technically capable of running at 150 watts, this is a "peak power" measurement and not something that it can do for normal or extended periods of time.

Although this is somewhat misleading, it is not uncommon for audio manufacturers to advertise wattage in this fashion. My own "50 watt" PASO Procast50 is actually a 30-watt unit, which you will see if you read the fine print in the specs, click HERE to view. SETH

So I think that two Mackies running together would realistically produce 200 watts, not 300. But that's still a very respectable amount of audio horsepower. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
I have a Yamaha Stage Pas 300. Again technically capable of 150 watts a side, but 100 watts a side is probably more realistic. Zach, if you haven't already purchased your Fender 150, take a look at the Yamaha system, you might be glad you did.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Knowledgeable Café member/staff (?) Michael M. put me onto JPL Eons 10 inch (powered units. On stands, they provide very good sound in a relatively large reception room with 150-250 guests. I contine to rent them , as needed. Sometimes, if the room and crowd are not too large, I use only one unit with very good results. Thanks Michael!

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
The Countryman e6 you can't ge better than that. I think all the American Idol contestants used them
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I use the Fender Passport PD250. I like it a lot! Another system to consider is Carvin's Stagepass. It is a one speaker system, but Carvin offers an optional speaker if you want stereo sound. It also has battery-power capability.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
Regan,
I think you maen Carvin Stagemate. The Stagepas is a Yamaha system.
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Believe in the Impossible
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2008-12-07 22:58, IDOTRIX wrote:
The Countryman e6 you can't ge better than that. I think all the American Idol contestants used them

I don't watch the show but... don't they use handheld mics?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
As Jonathan mentioned, I love my JBL Eon G2 10 speakers. They have incredible sound for such a small speaker. If size isn't too big an issue, I would consider Carvin's newer powered speakers:

The Carvin LM12a speakers are more powerful, should have a better coverage area (because of the larger woofer) and are very economical (the price you see if for 2 of them):
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/s......=LM12A-2

The Carvin LM15a speakers would give the biggest sound but they are a little heavier and bigger:
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/s......=LM15A-2

I mention these speakers because I had a pair of their predecessors (PM15a) and they sounded amazing at the price.

Two of the LM12a speakers will cost just slightly more than one JBL Eon G2 10, although the JBL's are still smaller and lighter.

Michael
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I am getting a Fender Passport 250. I found one on craigslist with stands.

If you don't want to pay full price, look on craigslist and ebay.
-Matt
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1252 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
I suggest the Yamaha Stage Pass 300. Just make a search and you will find a lot of information regarding this model.

Also, try to invest in a new equipment, avoid the used ones.
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
I also recommend the Yamaha stagepas 300. I put it up against the Fender Passport 250 in the store and there was no comparison to me in sound quality. Much deeper sound from the Yamaha. There is a site called AABACA that has the Yamaha stagepas 300 with speaker adaptors and heavy duty stands for $549! You can't touch it anywhere..it's where I got mine. aabaca.com It's a heck of a deal! No I don't get a commission..just look around and you'll see what a deal it is.
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Yes John,that's a real deal. It cost me $610 for the StagePas and another $140 for the speaker stands. He threw in the speaker adaptors (woo-hoo). I'm Canadian, but at the time I made the purchase our dollars were pretty much even. Also what I liked about the Yamaha system is that it's doesn't come with a bunch of stuff I'll never use, like hand held mikes or CD players. Paying for something that's of no use to me doesn't make sense. I do suggest the optional carry case. It was an extra $115 but well worth it. The only thing that Yamaha could have done smarter was to supply longer speaker cords. It comes with fifteen foot cords which is just to short. Had to buy twenty-five footers but other than that the StagePas is a great system.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I just picked up my Passport 250, with the stands.

It cost me only $300 for the unit and stands. It is used, but is in excellent condition. The seller hurt his neck and can't carry the system, so he got a lightweight bose system.

The system is perfect. It is more than I will ever need. It is 250 watts and can get really loud. I will be running my cd player through it alone, since there is a remote.

I will still use my portable cd player alone for birthdays.

They run around $699 new, I think.
-Matt
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Good for you Matthew. Great price and I'm sure you'll be happy.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Here is another big plus I just discovered. The fender passport stands have small holes in the pole, so that a stopper can go through, to put less strain on the clamp.

Guess what you can do with all the extras.

Lights! You can use the extra holes to mount lights!

This way, when the stand is fully extended you can use them as light trees and have the lights going vertically. I am definitely going to make use of this feature.
-Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Sound System Help! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL