The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » On the Necessity of Rabbits (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pob14
View Profile
New user
Illinois
4 Posts

Profile of pob14
My daughter is turning four, and I'm actually going to go public by doing a show at her party. I'm now considering doing more birthday shows, and my question is:

Can I get away with a rabbitless magic show? We have two dogs; I'm not adding a rabbit to the household. Smile I've read Sammy Smith's opinion that rabbits are unnecessary, and possibly even distracting, but I also know the rabbit-from-the-hat is the profession's icon. (Edit to add: And this MESSAGE's icon, at left!)

What say you all?
POB
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Why would a rabbit be a necessity? I've never used one, never felt the need for one and never intend to use one. the rabbit production is something that kids do like but there is plenty of other stuff they like just as much that doesn't involve as much looking after. Also if your going to be doing more than one show a day then the rabbits welfare can cause you extra problems especially in the heat of the summer.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I don`t use a rabbit, and If I`m asked I explain that it`s not fair on the rabbit.
I think you will find that most families don`t want a rabbit dirtying their carpets. You could try a sponge rabbit !
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
Most of the childrens entertainers that I have seen do not have a rabbit, but rather some sort of animal puppet(sometimes a rabbit puppet).
I think that the puppet is very animated and adds as much to the show as would a live rabbit.
Magic is fun!!!
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
Rabbits are great! However, if you are unsure then I would say that the answer should be no rabbit as they are not just another prop. As Emazdad says many magicains perform supurb shows without one with regards welfare a full time pro performer would likely need more than one(I have 3)
in order that they are not out working all day every day at busy times.
I would hate to go with out one in my childrens show, but who knows what will happen in the future and I could work with out a bunny if I really had to.
Phillip
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I agree with the above posts. Make your show your own and don't worry about trying to do something just because other people do it. A show can be great with a rabbit and great without it--it depends on YOU the performer. So go out there, do YOUR thing, have fun, and create some magic!

ps. No one has ever asked me why I don't pull a rabbit out of a hat...although I do have a pet snake, lizards, tarantulas, and a cockatiel at my home...hmmmm...hmmmm...instead of a rabbit I could...nah! Smile
boltt223
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona, USA
175 Posts

Profile of boltt223
I do use a rabbit. I usually end my show with it. But I recently added the rabbit. My shows were just fine without it, but I really enjoy producing it now. Smile
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
744 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
In answer to your question "Can I get away with a rabbitless magic show?", of course you can. Most birthday magicians do.

I use my rabbit in every birthday show. He helps set me apart from the other magicians in my area and I find people are willing to pay a higher fee to get a Bunny at their party. I have even had people hire my magic show just because they wanted the to have the rabbit there & the actual show was a bonus for them.

I have never had him mess on the carpet. He has been a very well behaved Bunny. They are not as difficult to look after as most people think & they make great pets.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
P.B. Jones is absolutely right; a rabbit is a sentient being, not just a magic prop.
Unless you would have a rabbit as a pet (without doing a magic show) DO NOT get one just for a magic show!
I have never used a rabbit or any other animal in my shows (although our Yorkie used to find a chosen card -- until she got bored with it!) and have never felt the need.
I finish with a drawing of a rabbit on a silk (which vanishes, only to reappear thanks to a volunteer). I explain that my rabbit is on vacation and this is her picture.
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
I used a rabbit for about 14 years at EVERY show I did, but at that time I was only part time. I loved using my rabbits, and the children loved them too. I never had a rabbit dirty anyones carpet, and only once in all that time did someone complain. And I never ever thought I could be without a rabbit in my show.

But when I wen't full time two years ago, I decided to stop using them because I was too busy, and as Emazdad said, I felt it wasn't fair on the rabbits being out of the house for so long. So what I'm trying to say is.... you don't have to use rabbits, but they are a fantastic addition to your show if you do decide to use them.

Good luck Smile
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I don't produce a rabbit but I do make a big plate of haussenfeffer appear, does that count?
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
If anyone asks if you can pull a rabbit out of a hat just say "no but I can pull a hair out of my nose" Smile
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I almost hate to give this away, but I use the rabbitless show as a positive benefit when selling my show. I use the point-of-view of cruelty to animals as my reason and how children are given permission by inference to do what they see an adult do. I paint a picture in the mind of the parent that some child from the party may try stuffing a family dog or cat into a box to rather dubious results. This has often given me the edge over say someone who uses rabbits or even a cool wild animal in their show.

My other job is a psychologist and I once had a child client who during the course of a blue and gold banquet was mauled by a tiger cub,supposedly tame and produced by at the time local performer so there you go. Needless to say the traumatic experience had some far reaching consequences. "Can you say lawsuit?...I thought you could"
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
pob14
View Profile
New user
Illinois
4 Posts

Profile of pob14
Frankft, I promise not to move to the Twin Cities and compete, but I may steal - er, "be inspired by" - your marketing strategy. As a prosecutor, I have convicted people of animal cruelty - great thoughts!

Peter, I also love the "my rabbit's on vacation" line - with your permission, I may use that (but with Rocky Raccoon rather than a rabbit silk).

And I would reply to Payne and Emazdad's one-liners, but I don't want to split hares. Their jokes don't warren my attention. I better leave rabbitly; after all, "No time to say 'hello - goodbye', I'm late I'm late I'M LATE!" Smile
POB
Pandora
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Pandora
I used to do a squared circle production and at the end I would look into the box with a surprised look on my face and encourage the children to guess what I just found. Usually it did not take long for someone to yell out 'a rabbit'.

At this point I would get them to settle down and tell them about how our furry friends should be looked after. At this point I asked the birthday girl if she would love and look after a rabbit if she could have one. Getting a promise I would slowly pull out a small toy rabbit. This does sometimes get a groan but mother and daughter were always delighted when I gave her the toy rabbit to keep Smile

With a boy I used to give a model car. Not so much because that's what they preferred but because I once was performed at a boy's party and one of his friends teased him about it which made me feel terrible. Smile

No animals are involved and everybody is left happy Smile

Love Pandora
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Nowadays people are a lot more concerned about animal welfare and I often get asked by people if I use live animals as they don't approve of it.

A lot of Magicians who use rabbits take great care of the animals well being and it's a pet as well as a star of the show. Unfortunately as in everything there are the low lifes who treat the rabbit as a prop.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Sir T
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of Sir T
I myself love the Rabbit in the hat puppet!! Get the book, the props you can make or buy, but the puppet, gets all the laughs!! All the fun and none of the responsiblity of owning a rabbit.

Just me,

Kevin Smile
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
You ought to see Dan Garrett's routine with the rabbit in the hat puppet>

It is hilarious.....
Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3395 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Quote:
On 2003-04-26 21:32, pob14 wrote:
As a prosecutor, I have convicted people of animal cruelty - great thoughts!
" Smile

POB,
Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU! for convicting people of animal cruelty. You have my deepest respect.
Best regards,
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » On the Necessity of Rabbits (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL