The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Patter Poll (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

totalpackage56
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of totalpackage56
This may not be the best place to post this question but I couldn't find a better place so here goes...

If you could have great patter for one trick, which trick would it be?
BarryRice
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
88 Posts

Profile of BarryRice
Chameleon Cards. It is my favorite trick, but I cannot seem to come up with any patter that I am happy with.
"The magic of the tongue is the most dangerous of all spells."
-Edward George Earle Lytton Bulwer-Lytton

http://www.amazingbarry.com
RyanJonPilling
View Profile
New user
Calgary, AB
35 Posts

Profile of RyanJonPilling
Now, I am fully aware that my opinion of what makes for good magic differs greatly from the majority of magicians, but...

Call me crazy, but...

I may be pushing it, but...

All Your Tricks Should Have "Great Patter"!

(ahem)

-Ryan Pilling
Playing Big - http://www.PlayingBig.net
A blog for performers about "Making Magic Out Of Tricks"
WDMagic
View Profile
New user
Memphis, TN, USA
4 Posts

Profile of WDMagic
I concur.
--WD Smile
Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordian. -- Don Rumsfeld
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Totalpackage writes: "If you could have great patter for one trick, which trick would it be?"

Professor's Nightmare -- and I do!
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
My vote would go to Strat-o-sphere.
I have thought long and hard and haven't been able to come up with anything good and original.

I disagree that all tricks must have patter.
That is not true at all. I do several mime routines. My favorite is the zombie ball. However, I do use music.
Smile
Daniel Faith
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
A fine point: All tricks DO have to have patter; sometimes it's not spoken (as in mime or music) but it's a form of patter, nonetheless.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I have never considered music to be patter. Patter is the spoken word. Music does not have to have words.
But I understand your point.
Daniel Faith
pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
The linking Ropes; I just can't get anything good, aside from play by play as to what I'm doing as I do it.

Pete
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
Quote:
On 2003-05-06 06:16, Peter Marucci wrote:
A fine point: All tricks DO have to have patter; sometimes it's not spoken (as in mime or music) but it's a form of patter, nonetheless.

That's why Henning Nelms, in his excellent book "Magic and Showmanship,” suggests using silent scripts to make the performer's gestures and facial expressions more expressive. The patter or words on the silent script are conveyed to the audience via the pantomimic stage movements of the performer.

That's a long-winded way of saying I agree with Pete's view that all tricks, including those performed in pantomime, have patter.

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Patter is perhaps the last part of the routine a magician learns and that is sad. Even worse, many never even get to the body gestures. I'll always give Johnny Thompson an A+ for his ability to "Mug it". It says it all.

Magic is an acting job. The lines are not the main thing. However, they are part of an entire set of behaviors to support an activity. Fit is everything.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Patter Poll (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL