The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Art of Astonishment - Specific Effects (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
I did the Dollar Bill Fold. I have tried the Ping Pong Ball thing, but not putting a hole deck inside.

I am not that good at the PMCM, but I can do it for atleast 30 seconds on the first try.

I would make a video, but my clips are INCREDIBLY low in quality and you probably couldn't tell what was going on.

Jakks
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
Quote:
On 2003-04-26 14:13, jhostler wrote:
Paul's Invisible Rising Card is a great one for a borrowed deck. Uses the spread cull to great effect, and you won't find too many others doing it...

I completely agree, this is a fantastic effect - the switch at the end is great!

Smile
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
Hey, I forgot to say. I loved "Backlash."

Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
jw_2101
View Profile
New user
Singapore
76 Posts

Profile of jw_2101
Galaxy... mmm... easy, STRONG and pretty much self-working... what more can I ask for!! And yes, solid deception is a GEM as well!!

regards,
Jonathan
He is no fool who would give what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
Quote:
On 2003-04-27 13:19, phonic69 wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-04-26 14:13, jhostler wrote:
Paul's Invisible Rising Card is a great one for a borrowed deck. Uses the spread cull to great effect, and you won't find too many others doing it...

I completely agree, this is a fantastic effect - the switch at the end is great!

Smile

Yes, I like that switch too! And I love the patter that is Rising the Invisible card! ^_^~

Michael Lam
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
spiral-stares
View Profile
New user
New York City
90 Posts

Profile of spiral-stares
Quote:
On 2003-04-25 22:11, midknightmagic wrote:

Flip flop plop-this really is a great force.

I don't have my books on me, but I could have sworn flip-flop-plop was a control not a force. Am I mistaken?
Gidon
View Profile
New user
Tacoma, Wa
80 Posts

Profile of Gidon
I'm pretty sure the flip flop plop is a control for the selected card to the top of the deck as well. Also, Bill Malone references this control in his on the loose set. It really is a pretty deceptive control if you have convincing patter to follow it up. If not most specs catch you.
Chris Harland
"No WAY...wait...do that again."
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Wow, lots of responses! Awesome!

For some reason, I hate Re-Set. It's probably because it took me 4 nights of reading the routine before bed until I memorized all the actions. Then the first few people I tried it on saw the same cards multiple times as I tried to pass them off as new. I don't know, maybe I need to practice more and do it faster before I show anyone else.

I recently started practicing Re-Cap and Uncanny. Uncanny was pretty easy for me to learn and it got a great reaction on my first spectator I tried it on.

Pepetual Motion Coin? Oh man, I would love to see this being done, I really thought it was just something Harris threw in the book to keep us busy trying the impossible. Speaking of which, is Pain a real effect?!?! I can't tell if it's a joke or just a dangerous effect?! I knw it's one that I will skip.

Has anyone done Creation?! I would love some feedback on that effect. The whole idea sounds really interesting and with the flower and coccoon creation first, the ending sounds like it would blow people away! Any feedback?!
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Jasonm921
View Profile
New user
NYC
86 Posts

Profile of Jasonm921
I tried PAIN....the pin wont hurt you (as long as the sharp side is down and you are hitting the blunt side). I actually tried it last night for the first time. I didn't get the full effect because I was too worried about not maiming myself. Smile
Jax
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
170 Posts

Profile of Jax
I love these books - especially GALAXY and BACKLASH !! - been trying the one with the orange but just end up with sticky fingers !! althouh a tip is to draw the cut lines on first with a marker pen ...... makes it easier to see where they go & join up !!

I did post a question in the I want to see the Manager Section about a AOA forum as the tricks in these books cover cards, coins etc etc - never got a response though !
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
I enjoy backlash as well. Does anyone else try Guts. I don't think it is as good as Backlash.
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
What a marvelous idea; having users choose their favourites from a specific book. I just wrote one famous and generous author saying in essence, that without a Video tape, I could not judge which of the effects in his book might most appeaal to audiences. I asked which were his favourites, meaning which obtained best audience response.

We can, none of us, any longer go through every trick in a book, learn it, try it, and then discover that audience reaction may be "ho-hum". Nice guy though he is (and he really is) his answer, "they are all my favorites", was not totally helpful.
Marty K
LostJavan
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, Maryland
3 Posts

Profile of LostJavan
I've done creation, but don't try to do it in the cheesy manner that is outlined. I happen to really like the tongue in cheek style of the books and I perform pretty much in the same vein, but the first time I did Creation I got screams. Real life screams, as opposed to the kind magicians normally tell other magicians they get.

Ever since then I make it a really special thing. I read that Nate Leipzig used to do the same thing. Be careful not to rip the wings. Try to touch the moths as little as possible. I look forward to every spring and summer because it's a seasonal trick.

Also, I read about Pain in a routine by (I'm almost positive) Anneman. My all time favorite from AOA is Limo service. I always have an extra jack so I'm clean at the end.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I finished Book One last night and tonight I rip open the plastic wrap on Book Two and begin to learn more Art of Astonishment. How does Book Two compare to One?

By the way, Las Vegas Leaper floored another victim for me last night, leading to the nervous giggles at the end!! I love that trick!!!

I have a question about Las Vegas Leaper. I am very comfortable with the false counts involved, but there is one part which I got caught on last night while performing this trick. It was a fellow magician who I was performing for, so it's not a huge deal to me. But the part he said he saw is the backs of the 3 cards on the bottom when I handed him the packet of his 10 cards. Now, I handed them to him all squared up as tight as I could, and explained the count to him and told him to count out loud. But immediately after I handed him the packet, he started to spread them out a bit, thus leading to him spotting the packet on the bottom. This was the first time this happened, usually they just hold the packet tightly and start the count when I tell them. Is this something that I can control? How can I get my spectator not to fan the cards at all without making it look suspiscious?

- Edwin Louis Cole
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1361 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
You say: "Hold the pack just like this..." and demonstrate the grip you want. Then when you hand them the cards, adjust their grip for them.. (when I do spongeballs, I always close their fist for them and then turn their wrist so it points down. This keeps them from opening their hand early.)
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
One trick I enjoy, and always gets geat reactions is 'Juke'. This effect is so under-rated it doesn't read great but try it out. It is pretty easy as well.
Smile
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
Headache is another overlooked trick. It takes seconds to do and it's not much, but everyone I've done it one has been quite impressed.
kryptonite76
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of kryptonite76
Pain is a very scary trick the first time you do it. The first time I did it I was with a couple of magician friends and we were all hesitant to do it. However, it doesn't hurt at all and it does look really neat!
Solid deception rocks as does Limo service!
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
This has turned out to be a great Forum, collecting exactly the type of info I was looking for! Who is the genius that thought of this topic??!! Smile

But seriously, there are a lot of effects that I kind of read once, and then sorta moved on if I was short on time or didn't understand something totally. I can't wait to go back now and try some more effects that I may have passed over earlier on. I can't believe that at first I was a bit disappointed with my books, I have done a 180º after only Book One. I can't recommend the set enough!

- Edwin Louis Cole
wert
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of wert
If you don't use sufficiently pliable pins for "pain" you can get a nice hole in your hand as the pin snaps in half. Yes, I'm speaking from experience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Art of Astonishment - Specific Effects (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL