The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » How are Bicycle "seconds" different from normal cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brett Sirrell Magician
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Brett Sirrell Magician
I perform coin in card, however to do this I need to carve open a pocket in the cards.

best quality cards I get so far and the top layer tears. However if I use Bike seconds I can make up the gaffed cards easily. So what is the difference? Could it just be that my seconds are much older and made in a different way? Or were seconds actually different paper stock?

Does anyone know of an easy technique to do this with 1sts bikes?
Brett
Brett Sirrell Magician and entertainer
www.brettsirrell.co.uk
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16251 Posts

Profile of tommy
Where does one get them from? If there are flaws in them can we use them as sorts?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I had never heard of Bicycle "Seconds" until recently. There's been a lot of talk about the USPCC sending seconds to big discount stores, which isn't true, of course. But, here are real USPCC Bicycle "Seconds", and they are labeled as such:

http://magicbox.uk.com/shop.php/shop/mag......252.html

Robert
Colin Mandel
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Colin Mandel
I use these as 'marked cards' there is always atleast one flaw in them. They handle the same, but they are a lot cheaper.
Cardician99
View Profile
Regular user
Maryland
158 Posts

Profile of Cardician99
Quite frankly, I've never heard of the term "Seconds" with Bicyle cards, or even given it much thought. But now that many posts are being mentioned about them, I will give one observation:

Whenever buying the cards over the years, I've always "pressed" the center of the deck to see if it had a "buckle." That is, like it gives a bit of a "Pop:" Meaning the cards were not exactly "flat." These were no good for simple things, like a DL.

If they felt solid and ungiving, only then would I buy them. Other than that, they were just fine.

Just as a "Tip!" Make sense?
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4145 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I have found that when I buy Bikes from cheaper sources, sometimes (again, sometimes) the edges are very rough and I cannot faro shuffle them. I never have had that trouble when I purchase them from a card or game store.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
There has been a lot of speculation on whether USPCC sends slightly lower quality cards to stores such as sams club, costco, ect. (in the 12 pack), but this does not corcern the actual "seconds" they market. But they really help my second dealing... sorry, I had to say it!
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Bicycle 'seconds' are clearly labelled on the front of the tuck case to differentiate from the regular decks. I would warn that they should not be used if the actual appearance quality of the card is important. The reasons for being seconds can be varied. I've had some decks that it is impossible to discern the difference whereas others have had severe inking problems or have been seriously miscut. Its a bit of a lottery as to what to expect. A bit like a regular deck really! Smile
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3212 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
I have purchased them in 12 pack bulks at Costco etc and they were never 2nds or labeled that way.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Quote:
On 2008-12-03 08:57, Rizzo wrote:
I have purchased them in 12 pack bulks at Costco etc and they were never 2nds or labeled that way.

Maybe not....But, they have been known to have sold Chinese knock off Bees which use a cheaper paper and different finish. Some were even pre-marked and come in a VERY similar Bee card case....but, not identical. Some of these marked decks even had a sticker telling people to "only buy orginal Bees"....how funny and insulting at the same time Smile

The Chinese do not lable these as knock offs and I think they just want these premarked cards to be used by the general population so those people "in the know" can spot them when their "friends" buy their own deck and deal them selves into the ground Smile
Long Island,

New York
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3212 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Most $1 stores have the Bee knock offs as described above with the insulting sticker on them. These decks are useless, not worth the $1 but I never have seen them in the stores where I purchase the Bikes in boxes of 12.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2008-12-03 09:25, Expertmagician wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-12-03 08:57, Rizzo wrote:

Maybe not....But, they have been known to have sold Chinese knock off Bees which use a cheaper paper and different finish. Some were even pre-marked and come in a VERY similar Bee card case....but, not identical. Some of these marked decks even had a sticker telling people to "only buy orginal Bees"....how funny and insulting at the same time Smile

The Chinese do not lable these as knock offs and I think they just want these premarked cards to be used by the general population so those people "in the know" can spot them when their "friends" buy their own deck and deal them selves into the ground Smile

I have never found these at Costco, only at the worst "Dollar Stores" that sell the cheesiest crap available. The only USPCC cards I ever found on sale at Costco have been the 12 pack Bikes.
Can you document when or where Costco has ever sold the "Bee" knockoffs?
As a paying member, I would be extremely upset to find them selling counterfeit merchandise.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2008-12-02 18:51, Brett Sirrell Magician wrote:
I perform coin in card, however to do this I need to carve open a pocket in the cards.

best quality cards I get so far and the top layer tears. However if I use Bike seconds I can make up the gaffed cards easily. So what is the difference? Could it just be that my seconds are much older and made in a different way? Or were seconds actually different paper stock?

Does anyone know of an easy technique to do this with 1sts bikes?
Brett

See Marty Grams booklet "Lickety Split: The Art of Card Splitting" ($10 on his web site http://www.martinismagic.com/Products.html ) or his DVD on the same subject and practice his technique, by the time you go through one deck you should be having 90-95% success dry splitting standard cards.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
limkris
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
165 Posts

Profile of limkris
I think they are only sold oustside the U.S.
I use them all the time.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Don,
I've never seen "seconds" at Costco either! This past weekend Costco even had a $3.00 off coupon for their 12 pack Bikes, $9.99 was way to good to pass up even though I still had a few boxes! I'm stocked till 6/09 barring any unforeseen event!
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2008-12-03 11:38, MickeyPainless wrote:
Don,
I've never seen "seconds" at Costco either! This past weekend Costco even had a $3.00 off coupon for their 12 pack Bikes, $9.99 was way to good to pass up even though I still had a few boxes! I'm stocked till 6/09 barring any unforeseen event!

I'm with you, Mickey, I buy the Costco packs all the time. I am really wondering about Expertmagician's assertion that Costco has sold the "Bee" knockoffs. I have found these at sleazy Dollar Stores but NEVER at Costco. If I ever did I'd be outraged, considering what I pay for membership.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I have a few boxes of Bike seconds, and can testify that mine are not much different than standard Bicycles. Given the poor quality of Bikes in recent years, one has to wonder how they differentiate the two.

But the boxes do clearly say 'seconds'. They seem to be hard to come by these days, though.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Brett Sirrell Magician
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Brett Sirrell Magician
The seconds I have are (and are always) marked as seconds in different boxes. About 5 years ago lots of magicians in the uk used seconds cos they we cheaper and hardly any different. However I heard that Bicycle found out that dealers were gaffing seconds packs and selling them in 1sts boxes. whether this is true or not I don't know, but the upshot is that seconds were no longer being imported.
This is why I have very few left and its really annoying cos I use them as they are easy to gaff for a trick. With only a couple of packs left this means I can only do that trick another 50 - 75 times!!
Unless that is anyone knows how to split a pocket in the middle of a 1st card!
Brett Sirrell Magician and entertainer
www.brettsirrell.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » How are Bicycle "seconds" different from normal cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL