The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Is this legal?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Hey. I was thinking about going to Kinkos and copying my dollar bill for a mismade bill trick. I want to copy the bill on both sides of the same piece of paper so that one corner is folded down almost covering one entire serial number. Would this be illegal to do?
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3160 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Mark, why not just use your own printer/copier? I'd imagine people at Kinkos seeing you do what you described above can cause a problem no?
Nothing Personal-Strictly Business
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I would be careful about this, some copy machines shut down if you try to copy money on them & a service person has to come & unlock the machine.

Mike
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
We have one of the old 1990 copy machines with the waxy paper. The kind that parts are no longer sold for lol. It broke haha. So yea, I can't do it on my own. plus it was only black and white.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Mike, that could have been entertaining in itself to see Mark trying to explain why the machine he was using to copy currency locked up!

Mark. Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Kinko's is pretty fussy. I'd look for dome small outfit that has a machine.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Here are the facts as I remember them when I spoke with the treasury dept years ago.

Yes, it's illegal, sort of!

If you do photocopy it, you can, as long as you enlarge it by double its size, or copy it in Black & White, or print the front on one page and then the back on another page. I would strongly caution you about printing it in full color and at the same size. The reason they recently changed the look of the 5, 10 and 20 is to stay ahead of counterfeiters. The new bills are much harder to counterfeit.

If you need any other info, just ask.
Good luck,

Sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Even if I am making a distorted image of the bill It cannot be done?
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
A distorted image is probably fine. Just don't try to make one look "real" or you're asking for trouble. Anything that is copied that looks, even remotely, like it could be spent or mistaken for a genuine bill could possibly get you in trouble. I really don't think you'd want to meet the guys who would end up talking with you. It would really ruin your day.

That said...good luck!

Mark.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Anything you print that might possibly pass as real money, and could possibly be abused, if the Treasury Dept finds out about it, you will be meeting people from the Secret Service and the U.S. Attorney's office. Do not expect them to be magic fans. Besides the commercially available mismade bill isn't all that expensive and you won't end up trying to explain it to the judge.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yep...Father knows best!

Mark. Smile
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1350 Posts

Profile of Stucky
As for mis-made bills, you can buy sheets of un-cut money and make your own bills out of real currency.
Official Thread Killer
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Mark, I would save money by either buying a Mismade Bill or a color printer. They are both less than paying bail and attorney fees.
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Ye it looks like this trick is goig nowhere so I might just drop it or do a version of Jay Sankey's mismade monopoly or something.

Thanks

-Mark Tirone
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
We hope you the best of luck, especially for the new year.
jocdoc
View Profile
Inner circle
Carlsbad, CA
1181 Posts

Profile of jocdoc
You can purchase sheets of $1 bills directly from the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. Here is the link: http://www.moneyfactory.gov/store/section.cfm/69/83

Be sure to use a straight edge whilst cutting the bills. You can buy a sheet of 32 bills and cut them down. $55 for the sheet and this will yield 12 mismade bills. Brings your cost to under $5 per mismade bill. You can sell the extra bills to your magician friends and cover your costs!
Life is an improv. The game goes on...
MiketheMagicDude
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
270 Posts

Profile of MiketheMagicDude
Devil's advocate...?

is it illegal if you print with no intention to use as a medium of exchange?
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
It's not, but so does many other magic prop. As long as you don't use this...
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
I don't think you'll need a big fancy color copier to do this work - Just stop by your local electronics shop and pick up one of those all-in-one printer/copier/scanner machines. Scan the bill in, high resolution, and then use your favorite graphics program to make any changes.

If you're nervous about making copies, just change the "this note is legal tender" part of the bill to say something else - something blatantly obvious about it being fake - something that even the Dept. of the Treasury wouldn't waste time on.... Like... "This is not a chicken tender", or something stupid like that. Maybe make the face a bit Picasso. And don't leave the bills too crisp; I like to crumple them up repeatedly to give them a bit of a worn look.

I made scans of postal stamps, to stick on "these just arrived today" envelopes, and I too was a little paranoid about the legal issues, so I made tiny changes to the stamps. They look real from a few feet away, but close inspection will reveal about 5 different cracks in the Liberty Bell, and instead of "Forever" it says "Fake-ever."

With inexpensive fake bills, you can put them through a paper shredder, set them on fire visibly, eat them, etc. They're a lot of fun, even around the house. I'll never forget my friend's face when I lit a cigar with a burning $100 bill.

Good luck.
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of mayniac
There is a method of making a mismade bill that a spectator can keep on Andrew Mayne's Twisted DVD.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Is this legal?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL