The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » This is my confession (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
irontoaster
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
10 Posts

Profile of irontoaster
Ok, so I'm an aspiring magician, really new but very keen however, I think I may have alienated myself from my peers.

Monday night I went to Magic Mondays, which is a two hour magic show held once a month. I was sitting in the second row and the next act was announced, it was a female magician, performing for her first time at magic Monday. She needed two volunteers and asked me up on stage. It was definitely comedy magic, she had us sign fake consent forms and talked about the scene in Ghostbusters when Bill Murray shocks the two people trying to get them to use their ESP. She rids me up to this little shocker thing and says she is going to ask me what I can see. HOWEVER, right before this about to begin, another magician calls out the she can't shock the audience members, they don't have public liability. She asks if I could shock her, to which he replies yes.

So she gives me these 5 ESP cards and, knowing how easily a magician can glimpse a card, am very careful not to show her which card it is. She guesses it right. I immediately know these are some kind of marked card and begin very obviously looking for markings on the back. The audience laugh. She asks me to hold up another one, but this time I hold it up with my hand blocking the entire card. The audience laughs harder. She jokes that I am making it very hard for her, but guesses anyway and of course gets it wrong. She says to shock her, which I do. She says "Ok, try again", so I shocked her again. The audience laugh again. She says "I must see the card to be able to use my ESP." So I hold it one, this time only showing one corner. She guesses wrong again. I shock her (Note, that it isn't a real shocking device, just one that makes a beep noise when the button is pushed). I decide the joke is over and hold the card up as normal. She guesses correctly. She gives me a badge and allows me to leave the stage.

I didn't even think again about it, until I left, when my girlfriend had a go at me, saying that I acted like the kind of person I hate, that I was a trick ruiner and that I ruined that part of her act. I am immediately struck with overwhelming guilt. It is now Thursday and I am still guilty. I went to the magic shop where one of the regulars at magic Mondays works and he barely said hello to me, despite me staying in the store a good 15 minutes. I feel like a real jerk. I welcome all feedback on this story of mine. Thanks for reading.
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
You (or rather she) live and learn! Maybe next time she'll use a subtler method…
Christo
View Profile
Loyal user
Cyprus
229 Posts

Profile of Christo
Your a jerk!!

Sorry irontoaster, you asked for feedback....

Chris
"Humpty was pushed!!"
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Covering the card once could be a joke (yeah right, freaking hilarious.) covering it 2 times?... You knew she was dying and you didn't even throw her a line? What a cad!

No wonder you got the cold shoulder, you merely insulted a female magician -one of the rarest of breeds of magicians...

Hi Ho... I'm sure you'll live it down, someday... Smile

Truth be told, though... What an awful magician to not have an out for such an obvious dilemma an "audience member jerk" might throw her way!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
I give you points for being honest with us but not cool dude,
You're suppose to be on her side. Redeem yourself, apologize, make it right...

As the others have suggested though, hopefully she learned something too.
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Quote:
On 2008-12-04 04:57, gaddy wrote:
No wonder you got the cold shoulder, you merely insulted a female magician -one of the rarest of breeds of magicians...

Well put by Gaddy. That's a double whammy. Not a good combo at all. Much as I hate to say it, you were a bit of a knob mate Smile I think you will feel a stack better if you apologised to the lady. Embarrassing as this may be, I know I would appreciate it if it were me.

However, that being said this gives you excellent insight into how narky an audience member can be. Needless to say I am sure you won't do it again, and you will always think twice about your own choice of spectator in the future.
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
Your girlfriend was right. Sabotaging someone's act is, as agent61 said, Not Cool Dude.

There are a lot of threads here on the the Café about professional courtesy. Read them.
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
I agree, that was not the right thing to do. Was it her first time on stage or just the first time at the Magic Monday event? Put youself in her place, how would you have felt ? If it was her first, or close to it, time on stage she might not want to perform ever again. I think you should apologize to her, and to the other magicians that were there. Maybe buy her something as a peace offering.
Bob.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
That will be
4 Hail Mary's and 5 Acts of Contrition.
rorythegreat
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of rorythegreat
Yes, I agree with everything that has been said here. You need to put yourself in her shoes. It takes a lot of courage to get up on stage and perform. Imagine how it would feel if there was someone trying to ruin it like you did. Not cool! It's good to know that you now feel bad. It shows that you're taking responsibility for your actions. Make things right, apologize. We all learn from our mistakes, I think that sometimes we really need to think before we act.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
I know this sounds corny… what goes around, comes around. For the most part this always proves true. Always try to be the best that you can.

Thanks,
Bruce
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
All that has been said up to now in this thread means nothing by me. If you really feel bad then telling us means nothing. Go tell the girl you are sorry and you should tell the people in the audience who were embaressed by what you did (you may be surprised at the amount of people who enjoy watching magic and get annoyed when people ruin it) you are sorry too. Telling us may make you feel better because you are getting some slack from here but still.
After you have done that come back and tell us how it went. Then you are on your way to forgiveness.
Get on stage and say "Ladies and Gentlemen. LAst week I was a jerk and I am sorry." That way everyone will know you said it and know you meant it.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I'm thinking you both learned something about performing for magicians, and hecklers Smile here. Sounds like she held her own. Bet she does better next time.
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
925 Posts

Profile of muse
It's one of the reasons why flowers were invented, and why florists have cards that say 'Sorry!"
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
You ought to apologize, both to the performer and the audience.
I know it was said above but, really, that's what you should do.
"But there isn't a door"
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
I don't know if apologizing to the audience will have the effect you want. I can see it working for some, but I get the feeling that others will see it merely as a token gesture. Even if they did accept the apology, if somebody were to do to you what you did to her, I bet the common feeling would still be schadenfreude, rather than sympathy.

Find her and apologize to her directly. Dealing with the way other people consider you will have to be your penance.

That said, any spectator, magician or no, could have done to her what you did that night. Marked cards are a highly common "how does card magic work?" theory, and any magician should know better than to blatantly employ a technique that would be so high up on the list of suspicions, with so little to disguise it as being anything else other than that. To be honest, if she really wants to be a good magician, you did her a favour. (If you do apologize to her directly, though, don't say that to her)
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Arthur-Zep
View Profile
New user
Riga , Latvia
22 Posts

Profile of Arthur-Zep
That was really uncool! Why did you do it? it didn't make you look better or smarter,but only made things worse , imagine how she felt! You,a magician, became a person that every magician hates! That was really bad thing to do. I hope you've learned a lesson and I agree that you should apologies!

Arthur
homegrown
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
85 Posts

Profile of homegrown
Ok I'm only playing devil's advocate here- so please don't hate me! I haven't performed in front of a crowd before- so I don't know that feeling, but that being said, I have done seminars (on other topics), in front of as many as 200 people, I've been doing stunts on Live TV (after which they decided to go with the tape thereafter with me - even though it doubles their work hahaha). So in my experience, I've had difficult people who would do everything they could to discredit you- for whatever reason. In the moment, I absolutely hated them- hated their challenges, them being difficult, etc etc, but at the end of it- I enjoyed it. They actually challenged what I said/did, made me know my stuff down to the smallest detail. In the end, I made sure if they were a regular, the next time, they can't fool me.

I think going too easy gives a false sense of security. It's like working any job- would you rather have the 3 months easy training and be frantic when dealing with "customers" or dropped in the fire and be totally comfortable after day 1?

I've just started on magic too- but if I perform- I certainly ask them to challenge me. Challenge my moves, challenge my patter. That's the only way I see myself getting better- especially for the unexpected.
CamisBoss
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of CamisBoss
I somewhat agree with homegrown on the false sense of security part. Some magicians just have a nice spectator who won't call them out, even if the effect sucks. Oftentimes, they will think they did a great job, simply because the spec said they enjoyed it. The magician can be lulled into a form of hubris, and think they are better than they actually are.

But I do not think it is even moderately ok to give a fellow magician a difficult time when they are performing. I find that to be completely unacceptable.
T. Sebastian
View Profile
Loyal user
Ozark Mountains, USA
223 Posts

Profile of T. Sebastian
I agree that you should make amends.
I also hope that she learned from it. Spectator control is not easily mastered.
So sorry I soiled your precious eyes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » This is my confession (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL