The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Changing IP adresss (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-12-06 13:15, MagicSanta wrote:
Think of the good ol' days Dougster, when people use to play by mail.

I remember those days well. I played a few postal chess games in my day. Of course, I suppose it's even possible to cheat nowadays in postal chess. As long as you are out of view of your opponent, cheating can be accomplished.

Myself, I think "What does it prove?" I play chess to improve my own mind, and if I used a computer to do my thinking for me, what would be the point?

I enjoy playing a real flesh and blood human, because even Kasparov himself admits that mistakes are made. And the game is to find and exploit your opponent's mistakes while minimizing your own. To me, that is what makes chess so interesting and fascinating. That is what gives it life. I have my own portable chess PC, but with all it's perfection of calculating, it's dull compared to playing a real opponent. The positions are static. With human's playing, there are a myriad of possible combinations and patterns to explore. It's the difference between night and day.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I have played a grand total of two games in my life. The first one, I was just a kid, was in a tourny at school and I signed up for some unknown reason. There was a guy standing behind me and he would talk to himself about what move HE would do. I did as he said, note he wasn't tipping me he was just an outloud thinker, and won! The dude I beat was really mad cuz he knew I didn't know what I was doing. The next game I didn't have anyone behind me helping and I lost about as fast as one can lose....never played again.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I've only played a few thousand games myself. Joined a chess club in the big city, and promptly and swiftly got my arse kicked.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Changing IP adresss (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL