The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbit Care (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
magiciangirl902
View Profile
New user
Charlottesville, VA
74 Posts

Profile of magiciangirl902
I hate to say it but rabbits are a big pain. Unless you're up to spending lots of time cleaning up after one I wouldn't consider buying one.
Most magicians do magic tricks, I do magic
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I have mine outside in a hutch...no real problem so far....have newspaper under wire (2/3 rds wood to stand on). Pretty neat animal.
SonSHINE
View Profile
New user
Mesa, Az.
37 Posts

Profile of SonSHINE
Do you ever have to trim your rabbits Teeth ??? I have four Netherland Dwarfs, All about three years old, never have to trim their teeth..........But I hear some rabbits teeth never stop growing ?
Quote:
You can only keep, That which you give away........
Holy Spirit
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
All Rabbits teeth continualy grow, However in a completely perfect situation they are self maintaining in lenght, now and agian you get a bunny who's teeth are miss-alighned then they do not wear down properly when eating and need trimming, there can be other causes too... some very selective eating rabbits or rabbits that are not fond of hay can suffer.
Phillip
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Nice to know, thanks PB....just couldn't imagine filing down Cheddar's teeth::)

WC
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2107 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Does anybody know were I can get a neth. dwarf in the UK. I have one but they can't get anymore

Matt

And looking back at the thread, my rabbit loves when cats come up to his run, he goes crazy he chases them in the inside the run when the walk off and he tries to touch them with his paw, maybe he's lonely. I don't like the way neth.dwarves are said to be aggresive mine is adorable. I think that just happens when they aren't handeled enough.
Matt
J.S.llusionDesigns
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of J.S.llusionDesigns
Bunnys are low maintenance pets so easy to take care of.
Joe Smith Illusion Designs
EricHenning
View Profile
Loyal user
Laurel, Maryland
218 Posts

Profile of EricHenning
Talking with my vet (board certified in rabbits and other "exotics"), apparently the latest research is showing two things rabbit owners should know: a high fiber diet is more important than previouisly thought, and cedar or pine shavings can cause serious liver damage and death.

I am now seeing recomendations for bunny pellets to contain at least 17% fiber minimum. I use products from Oxbow Hay Company, available at my local pet store.

Also, apparently alfalfa is too high in protein for many rabbits and timothy hay is better. Just thought I'd pass this along.
Cheers,
Eric
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Bunnies need to have something to gnaw on because their teeth do continually grow. This will keep them trimmed naturally.

Regan
Mister Mystery
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
As a former 4-H'er having raised rabbits for projects, I probably will never get another rabbit to use for the act. They are not difficult to care for but like any animal they do require care.

I know here in Ohio and many other states, the Cooperative Extension Service (which helps run the 4-H program) has a lot of very good booklets or project books used by 4-H'ers to raise their project. They are simple and straight forward information. They can also put in touch with local 4-H clubs that have more contacts for rabbits and information.

A great place to get rabbits is the county fair. One of the projects 4-H'ers have is to have a litter of rabbits and care for it. The problem is many of them do not want to care for all the rabbits after their project is completed. You often can get a rabbit for $5 at a fair.

I do like the netherland dwarf and the mini rex is also nice.

There is a lot of very good information in the previous posts. I would also add that in addition to poor diet lack of exercise also contributes to the early demise of rabbits. Matt Picnick, when he had his trained ( yes it was trained) rabbit, Rabbit E. Lee, he would make it go up and down stairs at least once a day. The rabbit lived until he was 14 years old which is pretty good for a rabbit.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Anyone know where I can find Timothy hay? They only sell coastal hay at the feed store here.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Candini,

You live too far south to get Timothy hay. The rabbit won't know that. Coastal Bermuda won't hurt him. You will find that the feed store will also have alfalfa and clover hay in pellets that are easier to store and feed. If they have the range pellets (large pellets) it will make your life easier. Here in Alabama they are about $6.50 for a 50-pound bag. That's about the same price as a bale of hay that is hauled in from the northwest. (Local hay is about $2.00 a bale.) However, the space requirement and ease of handling make the bale of hay bad news. (You can also bring in a larger variety of unwanted insects with the bale of hay. Scratch, scratch...)

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Clover hay in pellets that are easier to store and feed.

I need to check on this Bob. I store my hay in a plastic container but you are right, it's a mess.

Thanks!

Posted: Nov 6, 2004 3:11pm
---------------------------------------------
Where is a good place to buy antibiotics and sulfa for my rabbit just in case he catches something this winter?

I know I can take him to the vet and spend a lot of money but I use to treat my banam chickens with antibiotics added to drinking water....

Thanks!

Not so Great Candini
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
I'm not sure Candini. I have a vet near me that will help me out when I need her to. She doesn't "specialize" in rabbit care, but if mine has a problem, sometimes I can describe the symptoms or take a stool sample to her and she will prescribe something without actually seeing the rabbit(s). It costs a lot less and she can usually tell if I need to bring one to her clinic or not after symptoms are described and/or lab tests are done. If it is something that seems serious, I would take the rabbit in, but you know what, I haven't had to yet. (Knock on wood)

I've really only had a couple of minor things to happen in all the years of owning bunnies. I guess I have been very lucky. I know Netherlands have a very sensitive digestive system and it is easy for them to get a parasite that can kill them. Be careful when feeding them any sort of raw vegetation or tree branches or anything like that. Wash it thouroughly! When I first got the Netherlands I had two to get sick once from a protozoan infection and I had to treat them with antibiotics. They most likely got it from eating unwashed vegetation. I had owned some large white rabbits years ago and they could seemingly eat anything and it did not bother them, but the Netherland breed is a different animal.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Candini,

It would seem logical to me that the company that sells supplies to commercial rabbit breeders would be a source of the things you seek for rabbits. From my experience, they have many cage and cage building supplies I use with doves. I never was a rabbit breeder, since there were plenty to buy all around me. My visits to their Rogers, Arkansas office/store give me a lot of ideas for both cages and tricks. They have some hard to find animal hardware for sale (like spring doors!). (And they will sell to anyone.)

PEL FREEZ INC
205 S ARKANSAS ST,
ROGERS, AR 72756
Phone: (479) 636-4361

Do remember that these people see rabbits as a food source, not stage entertainers. But rabbit health would be critical to them. I'm sure they would have the best of rabbit vets on staff also. They are nice folks!

If you and I ever get together at Eureka Springs, we'll have to go shopping there. It is just a few minutes away, down the mountain.

Enjoy!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Regan and Bob. My local feed store sells some medicine that is for pnemonia and sniffles. It is a nasal medicine. Fortunately my rabbit seems very healthy but winter is coming. Not too many cold days but we do have some cold. His hutch is protected by bushes and I have added some extra windbreak cardboard etc. Still looking for another N Dwarf though. Will have to be careful if breeder keeps him indoors with weather change.

Do rabbits need the salt wheel they sell at the feed stores? I would think the pellets have enough sodium.

Posted: Nov 8, 2004 7:35am
Found this neat website for home medicine care for the bunnies:

http://islandgems.net/meds.html
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Candini. That could come in handy.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Welcome....may save some time and money.

Posted: Nov 13, 2004 2:12am
Does anyone know how cold of temperature a young rabbit can take? I am suppose to get a 8 week old dwarf tonight and it's in the 40s here. The rabbits is from a climate controlled environment.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
Rabbits are Ok well below freezing point. They are more prone to draughts than cold as a harmful factor. My bunnies love to play in the snow.
phillip
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Phil. I have put up plastic on one side of hutch and will do the other when the next cold front hits....We are in 60s and 70s temps now.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbit Care (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL