The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Polly wants a cracker... Ferrets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Has anyone tried using ferretts in their acts? They are cute and people really like them. They are, however, on the stinky side! I already use rabbits but was thinking of adding two ferrets as well.

Any thoughts???
Daniel Faith
DoveDude
View Profile
New user
Australia
7 Posts

Profile of DoveDude
To keep them quiet while loaded, rub honey (think it was honey) on their stomach. This will keep them busy and keep them in place.

There is a commercial ferret deodorant available - - not sure of the name.
Nothing is ever what is seems.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Thanks for the response DoveDude!

No one else has any comments or experience using Ferrets????
Daniel Faith
SnakeBabe
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
90 Posts

Profile of SnakeBabe
They love to play and are very curious. They could work well, but as always, the trouble is in healthy housing for them as you travel. Too often these intelligent creatures are forced into substandard living conditions on cruise ships or in small cages in back stage dressing rooms and as an animal person I feel compelled to encourage you to think twice before adding any animal to your act. However, if you are ready for a long-term commitment to an animal, then these are great pets that can actually have fun performing with you.

My last warning is be prepared to deal with the smell. On a cruise ship or hotel room for months and months they can become more than any one cares to deal with.

Hugs and Hissessss,
Maria
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
I know Simon Lovell is a big partisan of using ferrets.

What were you planning on doing with the ferrets?
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Thanks for the comments.

I do already use rabbits in my act so a long term commitment to my animals would not be a problem.

I was just wanting to add something different to my act. No one around here uses them so it would be unique.

I would use them the same way I use my rabbits - - haven't decided on anything concrete.

I am very careful on how my animals are treated, and in fact, I am guilty of spoiling them.

It is the smell that was making me think twice about using them, but I think they are really cool. Around here they sell for $130 each so a pair is a pretty decent investment as well.

Thanks again for the responses.
Daniel Faith
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24066 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
In my act I use a ferret, rabbit, guinea pig, dove, chinchilla and cat. I keep the ferret away from the others when she appears. She can cause harm to the chinchilla or dove.

I used to place her on a stand throughout the rest of the show after her appearance. No more, though, because 30% percent of the time she will poop shortly after she is let out of her carrying case.

In my area, 90% of the children do not know what a ferret is. A lot of adults think it's a weasel.

I would recommend you get a guinea pig to go along with your rabbit instead of a ferret.

Dynamike
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Thanks DynaMike.

I have considered a guinea pig actually.
They are so similar to a rabbit that I started thinking ferret. I was not anxious to deal with the smell though.
Daniel Faith
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
How big do guinea pigs get? Are they smaller or larger than a dwarf rabbit?
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Smaller. Maybe 1 pound.
Daniel Faith
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Guinea pigs can actually get rather large. (Bigger than a dwarf rabbit.) It depends on the diet. Feed them properly and they stay pretty small.
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
452 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
A couple of years ago, I was performing in Juneau with Doug Malloy, and I had arranged to get ducks for the show. I used a small one, and he used a HUGE one. Anyway, I wasn't able to get the small duck for my show. Needless to say, I couldn't even get a white RABBIT in Juneau! I ended up visiting a grade school class room, and borrowed a white ferret from a girl in the classroom. It got a GREAT reaction! And was easy to load, contain, etc.

I'd highly suggest using those cute little fur-balls in shows, especially if you aren't traveling much. I know nothing about traveling with them. Good luck!
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
So if you keep them on a restricted diet, will they stay around 1 pound?
AragorntheMagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Metro-Atlanta
304 Posts

Profile of AragorntheMagician
Have used Guinea Pigs for several years but wanted to move to something more exotic. Looked at Ferrets but the smell turned me off. Than a friend said, "Have you thought about Chinchilla's?" A great critter to work with. I now have a matched set. Live approx. 20 - 25 years as opposed to ferrets 6 - 7 years. No oder at all, eat about 1/4 cup of food a day and drink approx. 3 teaspoons of water. No fleas. Need to watch the temperature they are at though. They don't do well at over 75 degrees. Smile
aka: I used to be BOB (It's Cellini's fault)
"All Right, Who's Volunteering to be Turned into a Frog???"
www.aragornthemagician.com
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Vxj,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
The Danish magician Mox uses Faretts in his act as well as the Danish star magician/pickpocket Kenny Quinn also use farrets in his Magic Mafia act.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
I use a chicken
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
My ferret is crazy!!

I used him in a show a couple of times, but he's too playful. I had him loaded in a box and he just scratched away and made a ruckus... total mess.

That was 8 years ago and one of my first shows.

I did learn to do a card trick with my ferret. You can pick up some Ferrevite. It's a vitamine for ferrets. Use it as dob on the selected card. Spread them on the table and the ferret will find that freaking card and lick the daylights out of it. You only need a little bit of the stuff on the card.

Now my ferret is retired from show business and he just sits in his cot and sleeps.
Twitch
View Profile
New user
Buckley, WA
80 Posts

Profile of Twitch
I've owend ferrets since I was 10 (I'm 22 now) and I've even bread them. I wouldn't recommend them unless you were willing to put a lot of time into training them. They really do have a mind of their own and if your not on top of it you could end up with a big ruckus on your hands.

I've thought about using them in a show before but the only one I have trained to a point of sitting still for any amount of time is my 3 year silver ferret and it's taken me two years of constent training to get her there.

All in all if you got the time and the space for a ferret, go for it. But I recommend doing a lot of reading on them before you act on the "They're so cute and interesting" factor.
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
I have an ivory ferret that I use to change 4 doves into. (Of course in an indian dove chest.) It takes a lot of training and they do have a distinct smell about them. Either you love it.. or well, you don't. They make amazing pets, but aren't the easiest to work with. I have a guinea pig who is seven pounds actually so they do come in different shapes and sizes.. but they are really great to work with, because they love dark areas, so to them, being loaded is like hiding.

Take care,
Justin
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
J.S.llusionDesigns
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of J.S.llusionDesigns
I was going to use them but a law stops the owership of ferretts in California.
Joe Smith Illusion Designs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Polly wants a cracker... Ferrets (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL