The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Red Skelton (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
When I was growing up, my parents made us watch Red Skelton's Comedy Hour. I'm not sure "made" is the right word, but since this was long before the days of cable, if you were going to watch TV in our house at this particular hour, that's what you were going to watch whether you liked it or not. As a result, I became a fan.

As my career in magic started to take off, I was dealing with a used magic dealer who lived about 25 miles from my home in central Illinois. Her name was Leola LaWain and she and her husband Jack had been big time magicians who had toured with both Thurston and Nicola. He had passed away, but she was still running the used magic shop out of her home in Monmouth IL (not exactly the place where you'd expect to find a magic shop).

Once when I was at her home, I noticed pictures on the wall. I started looking at them and realized that one I was staring at was a picture of President Ford. Then I realized that it was the couch below me that he was sitting on! I said, "That's the President!" I was always one to state the obvious.

Mrs. LaWain just smiled. "Oh yes. We've known Gerry since he was a Freshman Congressman!" As it turned out, Mrs. LaWain knew A LOT of people, famous and not so famous. I came across another picture of a man sitting on her couch. Red Skelton.

"You know him too?!?! I used to watch his TV show all the time!"

"Oh sure. He still stops by if he's touring in the area."

Wow. I told her how much his comedy had influenced me.

A few months later, I got a call from Mrs. LaWain. She had something in her shop she'd just gotten in and she wanted me to take a look at it that afternoon before anyone else had a chance to see it. I was busy, but I learned that you didn't say "No" to Mrs. LaWain. I put whatever I was doing aside and headed for her house.

She met me at the door and ushered me into her front room. "Jon," she said in her sweet little old lady voice, "I'd like you to meet Red Skelton."

There he was standing there extending his hand towards me. I sounded like a cross between Fred Flinstone and the guy doing the opening to "Blue Moon." I couldn't formulate words, let alone complete coherent sentences.

Mr. Skelton sat there and shared an hour with me, telling me stories and giving me advice on my career in magic (or at least as an entertainer). "Always pretend your grandmother is sitting in the front row," he said. "Don't do any jokes that would embarrass her." I've tried to always keep that in mind.

If you're still with me here, thanks. I just felt like sharing. Mrs. LaWain passed away about a year ago, and of course, we lost Red several years ago. It's just kind of neat that someone of their stature would take time out of their lives to share some thoughts with someone like me.
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Jongallagher,

Wow! What an amazing story and thanks for sharing it with us. Smile
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
A nice story!

Taking Red Skelton's advice, we can substitute whoever we like for "Grandmother". In my case, it would be the Professor. I can always hear his voice "Hey Kato, be natural always". I can imagine his smiling face any time.

Hideo Kato
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3220 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
That's a great story, I like the advice Red Skelton gave you. I used to watch him on the Jacky Gleason show. I always liked his style. I was a young child, and my parents let me watch the show. Can you imagine letting a young child watch a variety show today?

Mrs. LaWain sounds like a great lady and a thoughtful friend.

Thanks for posting your story.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
markyeager
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of markyeager
Mrs. LaWain was a great friend. When I was in College in Macomb. She was located halfway between my home and the college that I was attending. It was only a short trip home so, I went home often. John Mendoza first introduced us. I remember the Sunday's we shared, I was going back to Western Illinois University after the weekend. The memories are still vivid today. I recently to the auction of her estate in Monmouth, Illinois. This was 20 years later. I was really mad at myself for not seeing her as much as I could. My friend Jay Marshall was there. I was shocked to see him at the sale. I bought a few items to remind me. Mrs. LaWain was the most interesting magic friend that I ever had. This is amazing because our ages were decades apart. We were just two people who loved magic. I'm glad to see someone who remembers her as much as I.
It's Fun to be Fooled
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Mrs LeWain sounded like an amazing woman to be spoken of so highly even 20 yrs later! You guys were very lucky to have met someone like her.

For Red Skelton to take time on his probably busy shedule to meet with you says a lot too.
Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
One thing that I will always remeber about Red Skelton was the penetrating sword trick he did. You know where he put the sword in the mark on the bottom of the box at a downward angle and the tip comes out the top at an upward angle? He was a funny guy, and for a guy of his celebrity to take time to talk with you, and Mrs. LaWain to introduce you, I envy you guy. Smile
I have the breath of dragons and the soul of a human.
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Palm Bay, FL
382 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
If you have not seen this bit with Red and magician John Calvert, you have to get a copy of this video.

This is an appearance that John made on Red's show. John saws Red in half with a very funny routine. Worth the price of the tape.

You can find this clip on John Calverts tribute video.

Steve Hart
Cape Canaveral, FL USA
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of Snidini
If you get a chance to see Tom Mullica's "Tribute to Red Skelton, by all means do so. I caught his act last year in Branson, Mo. and I he certainly does justice to a true comic legend. I hope to go back and catch his show again soon. Red was always a favorite of mine too and seeing Tom's show brings back fond memories.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Wonderful story friend!

Red Skelton was truly one of the entertainment greats in all of history.

No matter what the medium, stage, TV, whatever, his comedic genius shined.

He had universal appeal. And the reason was obvious. Nobody would be the brunt of his jokes except him. But he could deliver a monster line at a moment's notice.

I grew up loving his inventive spontaneous humor and many characters. Who can forget Klem Kiddlehopper?

A good man. A great entertainer.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
I grew up watching Red Skelton as well, and also reading of him in all of the weekly mags. You know, the ones that came with the Sunday paper and had titles like, "Live Ten Years Longer." There were many of these articles devoted to Red. Another of the reasons that he was so easy to watch was because you knew beyond the shadow of a doubt that he was a truly good man. And he was. While I never had an opportunity to meet him, I certainly spent enough time with him in my youth.
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
515 Posts

Profile of spatrick
I also love listening to old radio shows starring Red. He was the first real character actor as he did no less than 4 different characters per half hour radio show. His genius should never be forgotten.

S. Patrick
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Red Skelton had something going for him that many performers today lack: Genuineness. He was a genuine warm person. And that warmth poured out of his performances. And that's not to mention his comic genius, his impeccable comedic timing, his excellent mime abilities, I could go on and on. But above all, he was a truly patriotic red blooded American. If you have ever heard his talk on the Pledge of Allegiance, you will know what I mean. Oh, and one last thing: He was from Indiana.(tada)

But I too remember watching Red's show on Teusday nights (How many of you remember that detail?) But on those nights I would be sent to bed before the show came on, and I remember sneaking out of my room, climbing halfway down the stairs, sitting on the stairs and looking through the stair rails while mom and dad watched the show, unaware of my presence, until I gave myself away by snickering at his antics.

"Two seagulls! Gertrude and Heathcliffe! (flap arms and make silly face) I remember it very clearly! What a master clown this man was!

Yes, he was dearly loved, and will always live in our hearts.

Good night Red, and may God bless!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
I too loved the funnyman Red. My grandfather used to insist that I come over to his house (he lived next door) to watch the show every week. I would lie on the floor in front of the TV and watch.

Red would always break me up, and I would just about die laughing. Grandpa later said one of his fondest memories was watching me watch Red.

He could make you laugh with just a look, I loved the way he sometimes cracked himself up and had trouble getting the joke out. These are reruns I’d stay up for...
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ah, yes! What memories, what memories.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Jon,

Your story brought a tear to my eyes...I've met many celebrities, but the two I most wanted to meet were Red Skelton and Lucille Ball. I cannot imagine sitting with Red for five minutes, let alone an HOUR. Smile

You are one fortunate person. If that were me, it would have changed my life forever! I'm sure you'll cherish the memory forever.

I can't even think of anything...nope...nothing can top that...I have no stories to tell that come close...

Cheers!

Doug
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
I had almost forgotten I'd posted this story.

For my birthday last month, my wife got me several Red Skelton DVDs that they were selling at WalMart for some ridiculously low price. What memories!

"Gimme my hat, gimme my hat..."
"Two seaguls...."
"Goodnight, and may God Bless...."

When we met and I wasn't able to speak, Red looked over at Mrs. LaWain and said, "Doesn't talk much, does he?" I can still hear that in my head in his voice. And the thing that struck me most at the time was his height. I'm 6'2 and he was a little taller than me. I always thought from TV that he was shorter.

Well pardon me folks.... I've got a few more grammar things to fix here on the Café.... and then you all have talked me into another hour's worth of Red on DVD.

-Jon
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I've been known to pay people to make me laugh - comedy clubs. I'm not much of a "clown/comedian" but am still alive and happy because of them and our creator who put them in place. I love to laugh at a good joke or humorous performance. My cacklin' laugh has been imitated by friends, family, and guys at the bar. I really love a great comedian.

Red was a clown, student, and teacher of life who armed us with a very powerful tool:

"If some day you're not feeling well, you should remember some little thing I have said or done and if it brings a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart then my purpose as a clown has been fulfilled." -- Red Skelton

Those of us participating in this discussion have obviously followed and benefited from his advice.

Posted: Feb 20, 2004 1:41pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2004-02-18 22:09, Jon Gallagher wrote:
When we met and I wasn't able to speak, Red looked over at Mrs. LaWain and said, "Doesn't talk much, does he?" -Jon

Even off stage he was a killer!

Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I remember watching Red years ago as a child. Even now I still remember what he said in one of his acts. He has had one of the biggest effects on my performance by explaining that he never uses the four letter words that offends so many. He taught me to have morales in my act. And I thank him for that.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
He was a sweet gentle man.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Red Skelton (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL