The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Red Skelton (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
I remember watching Red when I was a boy also. Good, clean fun--Great comedy. At Christmas my son (now 7) received 3 DVDs of Red Skelton. Having not seen the show for 30 years, I wasn't shure how he would react. . . nothing but laughter. He loved it.

Good entertainment is timeless.

Scott Smile.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
mightydog
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan now living in the Florida panha
156 Posts

Profile of mightydog
I also can remember watching Mr. Skelton. He could always make you laugh without using any four letter words. His Ab libbing was awesome. Few folks knew it but in later episodes the producers made it a point to use only material written by union writers. Red got back at them by saying when joke did not go quite right, "don't blame me! I didn't write this stuff!" And who can forget his "Pledge of Allegiance?" Did any of you know he was also a painter with many of his works selling in the high 5 figures.
To Red
"Good night and may God bless"
Illusion and magic is the same, if it was possible to achieve the impossible by genuine powers then it wouldn’t be impossible and therefore it wouldn’t be magic. That’s why magic is an art; the art of creating the illusion of the impossible.
Raphael Benatar

mightydog
David
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I was also made to watch Red when I was a kid, and loved every minute of it. I think the two things he did that tickled me most was when he misread the que cards and when he got so tickled at his own material he couldn't give the punch line for laughing so hard. Entertainers of his caliber are nearly impossible to find anymore. Don't be too flustered at not being able to find words when you met Red, we have all embarassed ourselves in some similar manner in our lives. Just imagine trying to live down telling Harry Blackstone, Sr. that he needed to learn magic from Mark Wilson. I still haven't.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
I fondly remember watching the Red Skelton Show on a console television that had 11 channels on its dial, even though there were only three networks available - and those channels had to be changed with a pair of pliers. The only "remote controls" available in those days were us kids, and we never needed new batteries.

There were plenty of weekly TV shows in those black-and-white days, but as a family group we only watched a few - Red Skelton, Lawrence Welk, and Ed Sullivan - and we never missed a week.

For those who are wondering about Skelton's Pledge of Allegiance performance, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZBTyTWOZCM

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Red Skelton (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL