We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The meaning of life? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
To ponder the meaning of life is to waste it. Make the best of every moment, treat others the way you would like to be treated, and make sure your house is in order before you worry about someone else’s.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
cardone
View Profile
Special user
858 Posts

Profile of cardone
If your asking ... your missing it ......
just my little theory
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2344 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Simple answers to such a deep question. Problem is, I can't answer it any better than all you have.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2008-12-06 07:27, gaddy wrote:

Duh!

42 will do.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2344 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Ok, how about this:

To love and be loved.

Is there anything more important than that?

Or to quote Doug Henning, "Love is the real magic."
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I thought awhile before answering this thread as the question deserves.

Any true meaning is self imposed, i.e.: To rise above rather than improve on the base animal instincts or to allow the most available options and just 'give in'. Cutting ones options toward violence or promiscuity may elevate the meaning but is no less meaningful to an outcome.

Perceived meaning is what others place on any given life other than their own, that either benefits or detracts from what they have self imposed.

Species meaning would relate to survival and improving the chances of that survival usually at the expense of another species but wholly relying on the predated species to survive as well...barring depradation which is not an option.

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 3:12pm
----------------------------------
Wow...was my answer that definitive? Left everyone speechless? Cool.
At least that's what I think this morning. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Matt Watts
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Matt Watts
Here is an interesting concept.

Is there life after death?maybe,Is there life before death?I don't remember before I was born so I don't think I will remember after I am dead either.Why does there have to be a meaning of life? Should you do things for the good because you are afraid of being awarded or punished once you are dead? I don't thing so.Should you accept some idea of the meaning of life just because some other group of people tell you your meaning of life and put rules and restrictions out on your life?Should they tell you to not do something?Should they tell you to do something?I don't think so.People should make up there own minds.

Food for thought...

Matt
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2008-12-09 16:59, Matt Watts wrote:
Here is an interesting concept.

Is there life after death?maybe,Is there life before death?I don't remember before I was born so I don't think I will remember after I am dead either.Why does there have to be a meaning of life? Should you do things for the good because you are afraid of being awarded or punished once you are dead? I don't thing so.Should you accept some idea of the meaning of life just because some other group of people tell you your meaning of life and put rules and restrictions out on your life?Should they tell you to not do something?Should they tell you to do something?I don't think so.People should make up there own minds.

Food for thought...

Matt

People like Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy and Adolph Hitler answered to only them selves, is that what you’re talking about?
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Cipher
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Cipher
Sartre has some nice thoughts on the subject:
http://www.openlibrary.ws/authors/jean-p......tions/0/

Condensed Version:
http://www.anselm.edu/homepage/dbanach/sartreol.htm

I feel that existentialism is one of the best philosophies dealing with human existence. There is only one person that can answer the question, "What is the meaning of life?" That person is the one asking it.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
The meaning of life:

(my version)

I see the most beautiful dress in a high end store and instantly want it. Although I love fashion it's unusual for me to want a dress this badly. It was one of a kind - and fits me perfectly. My birthday was coming up and I mention it to my b/f. He tells me to purchase the dress as my gift. Money in hand - with the intention of buying it after work, I now have second thoughts and can't convince myself to spend several hundred dollars on a ball gown.
You see in order to wear that dress and not look out of place, I'd also have to go to a fancy smancy place and also have an expensive dinner. Urg I can't justify spending that cash for one evening out.

Instead I place the cash in my account and write a check to my hero (I always talk about her on here) the previously homeless woman who does incredible rescue work with animals and also with homeless people she meets. The money was spread around and was in far better use.

I smooze with intellectuals, the wealthy and the wise. I also chat with the homeless on the street and look them all in the eye.

I have friends who visit church and those that have been shunned by churches. I like rebels, people who swear like truckers and those who drink tea with a cup and saucer. I am offended at neither. I like teenagers, children and old people. I have friends in wheelchairs and others who are considered athletic. I have friends of all hues of color and enjoy learning about their culture, traditions and experiences.

Whatever I have, I never take anything for granted and will share 1/2 of it as I still have lots left for myself. I'm able bodied and can work numerous jobs and so don't mind carrying the load for those that can't and help them out.

I never sell stuff I don't want anymore but give them away to others than can use them. People have done the same for me as well..what goes around sort of thing.

I can jump out of airplanes or climb falls in Jamaica and laugh about it afterward. Adventures excite me but so does sitting quietly in the garden weeding and observing the tiny bugs who live there, often un-noticed by most. There are many things that share the planet.

I will see the brilliance of a rainbow in the sky and marvel at nature. I will often stop and smell the roses.

That's my meaning of life
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Life is too important to take seriously.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5725 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
If you're looking for the meaning of life just Google it.

Wikipedia should have it's meaning.

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The meaning of life? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL