The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Hot Leads (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Wow, bummer for you, better for me. I have a hot leads and have used it constantly for 3 years. I load about 10 or 12 business cards up with fluid before I go perform, and they last me for hours. Soak the cards up half way.

I put a cheapo electric lighter on the back that never fails to ignite. Yes, my electric lighter makes a click, but I work in a loud environment and I never have a problem.

Hot Leads is not a terrible product, it is just not for everyone. Just as cards or coins are not for everyone. It is all a preference. I love my hot leads and that image of a business card on fire in their minds sticks with the spectator. I can't begin to tell you how many clients bring it up when they call me to book a gig.

Jim's product has paid for itself 100 fold in my book.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2009-04-22 23:11, Brian Proctor wrote:
Wow, bummer for you, better for me. I have a hot leads and have used it constantly for 3 years. I load about 10 or 12 business cards up with fluid before I go perform, and they last me for hours. Soak the cards up half way.

I put a cheapo electric lighter on the back that never fails to ignite. Yes, my electric lighter makes a click, but I work in a loud environment and I never have a problem.

Hot Leads is not a terrible product, it is just not for everyone. Just as cards or coins are not for everyone. It is all a preference. I love my hot leads and that image of a business card on fire in their minds sticks with the spectator. I can't begin to tell you how many clients bring it up when they call me to book a gig.

Jim's product has paid for itself 100 fold in my book.

I guess this is why I have bought all 3 version really trying hard to make the dang thing work because it seems like it would work so great... When I saw the Electric Hot Leads... I thought FINALLY!!... HE DID IT!!... The realize dthe power of the coil get week like Afterburn and need flash cotton too.. I am stunned when I keep the Hot Leads in a zip lock baggy in my pocket and still they don't work! Maybe its my cards what type of paper are you using.. I know NOT laminated but are there some papers that are better than others?

I was really bummed out by Elelctric Hot Leads only to see its just like Afterburn.. Ohh and my battery died after only a few uses..
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I use this, sort of.

I keep my cards in my TeleThought Wallet. I simply palm the lighter underneath. I too did not care for the click, but also did not care for always loading flash cotton for each use as I planned on using it in my walk around work.

To compensate for the click, what I have done is pull the card out part way, then flick it with my finger at the same time as the click. Then pull it the rest of the way out, on fire.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Yeah, I am not sure what stock my cards are. I just ordered standard plain from Vista Print and they hold fluid for quite a while. I also put them in damp and I am careful to not let them sit out more than a couple minutes before I put them in the wallet. I make sure they are in there snug too. You are right though, definitely do not use laminated cards.

I think I think I have success with it because I squeeze the fluid onto each card and shake it until the card soaks up all of it. That definitely helps keep them ready for hours. I have been told in the past to put the fluid on a plate and lay the cards half way into it, but I find they do not soak up enough. So that is why I treat each card individually.

I once put too much on a card, which can be dangerous. I pulled it out of the wallet and you could hear the flame roar. It startled me quite a bit because I didn't think it would go out. Thankfully it was not for an audience. I use the yellow bottle of lighter fluid found at most stores.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
To compensate for the click, what I have done is pull the card out part way, then flick it with my finger at the same time as the click. Then pull it the rest of the way out, on fire.
[/quote]

Thanks for the idea! I will have to try it out in a quieter setting to see if it flies by my audience. I normally work in loud places, so its not a problem. But you can't go wrong having an out.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
I never found logical Hot Leads for restaurants, BUT EVEN I BUY ONE AND BE VERY DISSAPOINTED.
Sorry!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
dlachance
View Profile
Veteran user
Mississippi
344 Posts

Profile of dlachance
I Love it........love it....love it....have had the same one for over 3 years and I use it almost every day. I have had to change out the lighter....but I love it. Did I say I loved it.

Dorian
-Dorian LaChance
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Anyone like the newsest one Electric hot lead which the exact same thing as the original afterburn... I think the BIg issues is the falsh cotton..

Guess that is why Hot Leads is better than electric hot leads and afterburn...
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I have both - the electric one is in the drawer. I use the "lighter" one all the time, and in the words of Dorian, I love it, love it, love it. I did a 40 minute show last Saturday, and after the show, someone walks up and says "show me the burning card". This isn't even in my show, I just gave one to the show coordinator when I arrived.

Jim
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2009-04-23 20:53, jimhlou wrote:
I have both - the electric one is in the drawer. I use the "lighter" one all the time, and in the words of Dorian, I love it, love it, love it. I did a 40 minute show last Saturday, and after the show, someone walks up and says "show me the burning card". This isn't even in my show, I just gave one to the show coordinator when I arrived.

Jim

Don't you feel the cards look low quality not being glossy? Would you show us a copy of you business card?
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
If your cards are glossy, they will bubble up from the fire. I choose to just go with plain printed cards.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I actually use a glossy card, and have had no problems. I have mine printed by VistaPrint.

Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
I've heard terrible things about VistaPrint, terrible, grave things...
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Yeah, vista print is not the greatest. But I have used them twice without a problem. They do take forever and try to charge you for every little detail, you just have to dodge the prices and be willing to wait a long time (2 or 3 weeks).
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Smile

I ordered 250 BC's from VistaPrint and had no problems whatsoever with them.
As a matter of fact the order was at my door 3 days after I placed it on their website.
The cards are nice and very affordable.

Respectfully,
Rochaz
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

:Juan R Rocha:
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
Me too rochaz. I ordered the premium cards that has the gloss finish. Order arrived 4 days later. Very happy with them. For the extra $2.50 to have the advert on the back taken off is well worth it.

Ron
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I think I am just a cheap skate. The cards are great, they nickel and dime you on all the shipping and added choices.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I think I am just a cheap skate. The cards are great, they nickel and dime you on all the shipping and added choices.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
A lot of places do all those extra charges too. At least that's been my experience.

That's just how they make their money. Cards themselves, cheap base rate. Every little detail you add, $$$.

Makes sense though. You should be charged for double sided, colour, and finish. Otherwise those who just go with B&W one side, matte finish would be getting ripped off.

Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
There's a reason that my liability insurance doesn't cover the use of fire. If claims were few and small, they would insure it, but it's obviously a problem. I won't use fire in my shows.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Hot Leads (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL