The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Show Offering (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
Hey guys (and ladies) - Before I start I want to say thanks to everyone who has helped me out and replied, my magic career is doing good so far! However, im still getting farmilar with the business. I have done 5 shows. 4 of them being birthday shows (my name is just starting to get around!!) - The first one, I was nervous but was ok. The 2nd was also ok. The 3rd show at an arcade wasnt great but could have been worsew and this past weekend i had my 4th and best show. it was 100% perfect. Nice quiet enviorment, plenty of space, half boys/half girls, perfect audience, said everything i expected them to, participated, screamed, laughed and had a great time! I had a girl say that my show was the best shed ever seen and it made my day! You have no i dea, it was 100% perfect. I have a show on the fourth of july, i have a show this saturday and i was just called by a lady that had heard about me from a pwerson at my mothers work, this lady is about 5 towns away, 20 minutes away so my name is being heard! Im 14 (once gain, i say it) and she offered me a show with 9 year olds. From my expierence im not to excited. Im not sure how my magic will suit these kids. Some of it is good but some like run rabbit run i hav e a backup plan for with 20th century silks. Im just not sure if i'll be ablwe to control kidsw who are only 4 years away from me. Im not sure if they will enjoy the show. I know I need as much expierence as I can get im just unsure about this one. Any thoughts? Im in a situation but its ok because if I don't take this job, I still have one This Saturday. im leaning twords denieing it, im just not sure ifim expierenced enough to handle 9 and 10 year olds. Also-Please be honest! You can come right out and say I shouldnt do it for any reasons, it will help me more then hurt me!!! Once again, I appreciate all of everyones help and look forward to hearing your opnions! Josh
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Josh,
Being fairly new myself, (a little less than a year), my advice would be to go for it and get the experience. There is a big difference between 9 and 14 year olds as I'm sure you know, and you shouldn't have many problems controlling them if you controlled your previous audiences fairly well.

I started with the same basic show and just changed a few things with the different ages, and I have performed for kids between 5 and 11. With the older groups you can add in some card effects that the younger groups wouldn't really be able to do.

I don't know what tricks you perform, but most can be used for a fairly wide audience, just change the presentation a little.

Good Luck whatever you decide!

By the way, congratulations on your early successes! It's always a great feeling when you're told by others how good a job you are doing--all those hours of practice are paying off! Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress!
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
Thanks Chad - Josh
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
JS,
Go for it! You'll never know how you'll do unless you try!
Back in the mists of time (!), when I was around your age, I did the same type of shows that you are referring to; mostly they went well but a few didn't.
However, I learned from the ones that went partly wrong.
Even if you totally screw up (which I doubt you will!), it's not a loss if you learn something from it.
The actor, Dustin Hoffman, once said: "When I'm rocking on the front porch of the old folks' home, I want to regret the things that I did, not the things that I DIDN'T do!"
So go for it!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
I learn more from by "bad moments" in shows than the A+ ones.

Keep growing and glowing.

The juiciest fruit is out on the limb.

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1165 Posts

Profile of Hill
Best of luck!
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2099 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I agree with the I learn more from by "bad moments" in shows than the A+ ones. I've done a show this morning and learned a lot as ive done a few new tricks today and I think because it was a longer show than normal I had to add a few things I don't normally do so, I must practise these new effects. I did a show at a local primary school last week and it was one of the best shows ever, I love that feeling, lets christin it the 100% feeling!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Show Offering (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL