The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Helping the Muscular Dystrophy Association (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24053 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
If you gave 10% of your total to the Muscular Dystrophy Association weekly, do you think they will approve you to show their sign or wear their hat/shirt while performing? If a person ask if you work for them, tell the truth, "No, I donate a percentage to them."
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
That is a cheap and unscrupulous way to build a hat. You get tipped because YOU are entertaining and have EARNED the money, not because people think it's going to a charity.

Peter.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
248 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
Sad. Really sad.

In the worst cases of this illness, a person will be in a wheelchair by 12 and dead by 20.

And you are thinking about profiting from this??

I really hope there is a joke I am missing...otherwise, you are sick.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Slow down, guys, it's a fair question.
Personally, I do think the charity would benefit from 10% of your hat. 10% of a weeks taken is a **** load all should be.
On the other hand, I don't think you will take more 'cause of it.
So if you want to support a charity, I suggest that you just give them 10% and just say nothing. Or, perhaps put a link on your web-site and so on.
Mario
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24053 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks, Mario. At least, you are one with a brain on this page.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Mike, I STILL DISAGREE!!! You ignored Mario's concept that you should just give the money and tell no one about it.

You, on the other hand, are insinuating that you are working for the charity. In fact, you are working for yourself and throwing a small bit to a charity. That makes what you say and do a lie. Hey, you can live as a liar if you want, but I won't. This is the way I see what you are asking.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Mike, I understand your charitable motivations, but I agree with Paddy. Advertising that you donate to the charity without actually *working* for them sounds like you're trying to capitalize on the name to increase your hats. There are frauds out there that supposedly work for charities when, in fact, they do not and simply pocket the money. You don't want to be mistaken for one of those; it'll do you more harm than good.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Kozmo was asking a question. He wasn't saying he was attempting it. You do not even know WHY he was asking the question. You just got all holier than thou and flamed the guy. Some of you might want to think about listening once in a while instead of talking.

For all you know, Kozmo saw a guy doing this and thought it was disgusting. You have NO IDEA why the question was asked.

Kozmo also happens to be one of the best street performers working today. EVERY SINGLE TIME he tries to post something here, he gets flamed by some wannabee who thinks he knows more than his head can hold.

Mario, you're a rock star.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Kozmo? We're talking about Dynamike, aren't we?

Whoever it is, hypothetical or not, the answers would be the same. It would reek of profiteering. Even Mario said that if someone does donate to a charity, they should just do it and not advertise it.

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 1:40pm
Maybe "profiteering" is the wrong word to use, but it's all I could come up with at the moment.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Hey, who's the idiot? **Dan, raises his hand** That's right, I'm Dan, and I'll be your idiot today.

But I still stand by my original objection. Nobody knows WHY he asked the question, the guy just asked a question.

No need to fillet him over it.

Thanks, Dave, for the help pulling my noggin' out of my backside.

My question for Mike is WHY do you ask?

Best,

Dan-

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 1:42pm
I do know that a lot of entertainers that DO support certain charities list their appearances on their website.

I just made an appearance on a local telethon and noted it on my Facebook, as well as listing the number people could call to support the cause.

I don't think that makes me a carpetbagger.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
248 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
Where did Kozmo come into this? I learned more from Koz when he was down here working than I have from just about any other street worker, and as far as I can see, he did not ask the question, Mike did. What did I miss?

Isn't this spot about street performing and how to get better pay?? Truthfully, what other reason would there be for wearing the shirt or asking the question? It is not about caring about the illness. If it were, he would just pay the money and and do free show or charity fund raisers.

Let us say I was wrong and jumped the gun on Mike...what reason do you have for asking the question? Like I said, it just seemed sick to me, but I can get things wrong.

Mike, why do you want to wear the shirt? I really want to have a brain, too.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2008-12-09 13:43, Mad Doctor wrote:
Where did Kozmo come into this?

Mike's new avatar is of him and Koz. If you are skimming the thread and just see the picture...
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Quote:
On 2008-12-09 13:26, Dave V wrote:
Kozmo? We're talking about Dynamike, aren't we?

Even Mario said that if someone does donate to a charity, they should just do it and not advertise it.

I did not. I suggested it, and I did not say should.

I have worked for charities in the past, and this is quite common exchange between business and charities. I see nothing immoral about giving 10% of your takings to a charity and then wearing the t-shirt. I don't think it is a good idea for the show, but immoral, what a load of crap.

Mario
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Having worked for Comic Relief and CALM the Cancer movement as an entertainer, it should be noted that both Charities contacted me and paid me to do shows for them in order to set up public attended and ticketed evenings. This gained their Charities more cash for the charity than the money paid to me for supporting them.

Many Comic Relief performers work this way, and like them, we are permitted to display their Logo at any shows we do.

To me, this is upfront and very worthy. It also scratches each others back (nothing wrong with this at all). So to work with, rather than use, is properly the correct way to view the issue.

Ken
tomterm8
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of tomterm8
I would suggest contacting the Muscular Dystrophy Association by telephone and asking them. Only they can give permission. Make sure you get it in writing, with a name attached.

In the UK, it is fairly common for street collections to be staffed by professional fundraisers, but there are laws regulating the practice that the charity should know. Failure to abide by these laws can result in fines that are very large... or even jail.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24053 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-12-09 13:14, Danny Hustle wrote:
He wasn't saying he was attempting it. You do not even know WHY he was asking the question. You just got all holier than thou and flamed the guy. Some of you might want to think about listening once in a while instead of talking.

Thanks, Danny.

I was asking the question to find if it would be a good idea helping get publicity for the magician. If it was wrong some type of way, could there be a way to solve the problem?

You are right, Danny, I was not attempting it. If I knew it was wrong and was going to attempt it, I would not have posted it in the first place.

I never seen the topic listed anywhere else, so I wanted to ask to get information from the professionals with brains, not the "wannabee" criticizers.

I like your answers, Mario, Dave, Tom, Ken and Danny.
Quote:
On 2008-12-09 13:49, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-12-09 13:43, Mad Doctor wrote:
Where did Kozmo come into this?

Mike's new avatar is of him and Koz. If you are skimming the thread and just see the picture...

That is why I believe in wearing noticeable colors while street busking instead of the common shades.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Wow! Dynamike asks a neutral question, and others sure speak their mind! On the topic of giving to help others, isn't it recorded in one of the Christian gospels that "Jesus" said something about giving without broadcasting the fact? And it didn't occur to me before, but I think it was him who said along the lines of "When you give, don't let your right hand know what your left hand does." Now if that isn't a conjurer's mastered approach, what is? Don't look down. Keep your eyes on the spectators, please!
The presentation makes the magic.
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
248 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
Mike, I am not a "wannabee" criticizer...I was a "criticizer."

But as I said..I could be missing something.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24053 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-12-09 13:40, Danny Hustle wrote:
Hey, who's the idiot? **Dan, raises his hand** That's right, I'm Dan, and I'll be your idiot today.

No, Danny, you are not the idiot here. You only took a quick glimpse at the avatar and made a mistake. The real idiots are the wannabees that you mentioned earlier, who have nothing to do but criticize. They will post any stupid thing just to get attention. I don't interact with them because I'll just be wasting my time.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm not offended by Mike's question. It's an honest one.

I handle charitable work in my own way. I think the public might perceive advertising that you donate a percentage of your hat to any particular charity as a self-aggrandizing move.

I'm not the public.

Just do what you feel is right. The audience will let you know if you have made the right decision.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Helping the Muscular Dystrophy Association (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL