The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I performed! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
WV
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa, Durban
293 Posts

Profile of WV
I performed last night at another dinner party.

I was amazed at how the people enjoyed themselves.

I started performing for 3 people, and when I did Ring Leader (the last half) and Las Vegas Leaper I had thw hole rooms attension. Around 15 people!

As usual I messed up a couple of tricks - I "slipped" up on the shake changed for Oz Pearlman's Blindsided.

One guy (thanfully he did not call me on it) saw how one of the moves for Gregory Wilson's Ring Leader was done (only after I did this a second time - against my better judgement.

I assume the ame guy also saw or think he saw a "seret" move for Jay Sankey's Mercuring.

And yet another one was Color Monte. Well, not really messed up. One of the guys said, "I saw that" at a point where I did a move. But after the final reveal of the money card, I think that "Thought he saw" blew out the window.

And finally for some weird reason, I pulled out the wrong card when I performed Oz Pearlman's Clutch! I had to admit I messed up as I han NO out!

Apert from that, they were pretty amazed. Chicago Opener, Las Vegas Leaper and Ring Leader (well, only 1 guy caught me with 1 move) really amamzed them. Blindsised also amazed the few that watched me, they don't remember me messing up the shake change. They just remember the deck changing color!

I'm slowly starting to overcome the dissapointment I feel when messing up. My wife pointed out that I shake when I perform. I don't have a fear of performing, I have a fear of messing up! But she also pointed out that the people enjoyed themselves. I actually got a round of aplause at the end.

I just had to get the fact that I messed up off my chest. After I messed up Las Vegas Leaper at a previous dinner party, I got it off my chest and well, last night I didn't mess it up. So next time I perofrm any of the other effects, I won't mess up Smile
Vernesto

"I'm not perfect, just forgiven!"
chidzuyo
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of chidzuyo
Wow, that's nice! ^__^

(Btw, don't perform a trick twice unless there's a variation in the effect.)
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
925 Posts

Profile of muse
Well done!
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
925 Posts

Profile of muse
Tried sending you a private message about this WV, but it says I can't send them to you
WV
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa, Durban
293 Posts

Profile of WV
Quote:
On 2008-12-10 05:22, muse wrote:
Tried sending you a private message about this WV, but it says I can't send them to you

I sent you a PM. Try and reply or email me at the addy I sent to you. Thanks in advance.
Vernesto

phoogestijn
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
26 Posts

Profile of phoogestijn
First of all, I'd like to congratulate you with your "first" performance. I haven't felt confident enough to actually perform. Till now I only perform sometimes for my girlfriend.

Quote:
On 2008-12-10 01:43, WV wrote:
I don't have a fear of performing, I have a fear of messing up!

I have the same problem. But maybe messing it up some times (not on purpose of course) is the only way to overcome the fear.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
I think we've all been there (well, not everyone I guess). I too get nervous to perform. But, I just keep doing it and it gets better. Congrats and I agrre about not doing the same effect twice UNLESS there is a variety or difrent angle as part of the routine...

mike
WV
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa, Durban
293 Posts

Profile of WV
Thanks for the encouragement so far. Its good to know I'm not the only one messing up. But I must say, after messing up Las Vegas Leaper the first time, I did not do it a second time. I'm going to set up my DV HandyCam in our spare room and whenever I practice, I'll perform for my camera! Any other advice you guys can gibe?
Vernesto

phoogestijn
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
26 Posts

Profile of phoogestijn
Maybe choose a victim how likes to watch you perform, even when you mess up. I think it's more informative to practice in front of a real spectator. Please correct me if you guys have a different opinion.
WV
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa, Durban
293 Posts

Profile of WV
This was actually my second dinner performance.
Vernesto

john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
Quote:
On 2008-12-10 08:32, phoogestijn wrote:
Maybe choose a victim how likes to watch you perform, even when you mess up. I think it's more informative to practice in front of a real spectator. Please correct me if you guys have a different opinion.

'NEVER practice in public.' - Henning Nelms

Infer what you will but I think Mr Nelms has a point! I agree, it is an advantage to have a ‘confidant’ to honestly critique a move or routine but they WILL get bored. I would only suggest this stratagem during the midst of a routine where it is appropriate to try new (though well rehearsed) material. Videoing your practice sessions ‘and’ your performances will give you the best insight in my humble opinion

One parting thought; mistakes are an opportunity to start afresh more intelligently.

Good luck!
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Good job - keep it up. The more you perform, the more comfortable you'll be performing.

Jim
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Congratulations for your work!!!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
phoogestijn
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
26 Posts

Profile of phoogestijn
Quote:
On 2008-12-10 13:20, johnscot777 wrote:
'NEVER practice in public.' - Henning Nelms

I definitely agree !! By spectator (or victim) I meant someone familiar: your girlfriend, your father, mother, etc. But always practice with the same person.
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
The problem with that (at least for me) is that their eyes glaze over as soon as I remove the cards from the box. ;-)
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Good for you, WV. It sounds like your not letting possible disappointments or fears hold you back and that's very important. It also takes a lot of guts to admit your "failures" on a public forum. don't stop now!

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
ArthurZep
View Profile
New user
Riga,Latvia
13 Posts

Profile of ArthurZep
Congrats Smile
don't let failures and mistakes stop you Smile
Arthur
Myrsolon
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of Myrsolon
Awesome job, keep it up.
krowboom
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago area
233 Posts

Profile of krowboom
Performing in front of a mirror or camera has limitations because it doesn't take into account all the angles. Before I try a trick before an audience I do it for my family. They try to catch me and figure out the trick so I know if I can get past them I can perform in public.
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
I hear you guys! Most of my performences have been for one or two people. I was at a Christmas open house this last Saturday, we were gathering toy's for children with cancer, so there were a lot of people here I didn't know. I successfully performed the following;

McDonald's Aces
Signed Color Change
A trick with the Coffin Guy from Ghost gaff
Alice in Wonderland
Ambitious card Routine (was a routine I watched a guy do over and over on youtube till I figured it out, not sure to whom the credit should go)
What I call 'The suffle mix-up' (learned this long ago as a kid, haven't found an auther yet)
Cactus Pete
And Twin Souls

Only one I 'slipped' on was Alice in Wonderland, but I was able to play it off as 'intentional' saying I was showing the card to prove thier card wasn't ontop ::wipe sweat from brow::
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I performed! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL