The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Attention: To all illusion builders...Require some guidance please!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
Hi

I would like to start building illusion stuff myself...

I got Andrew Mayne's illusion book and Osborne's series of four illusion books, Osborne's Black Book and Jarrette's book.

So what are the factors I should look into before building? (Factors that I am looking for are hints and tips in making bases, steps and measurements and more...) So that I can save much time and avoid errors.

Thanks
Symmatrix Smile
What We See Is Mainly Depend On What We Look For.
Only Those Who Can See The Invisible Can Do The Impossible.

Symmatrix Magic
Clarence
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore, City Central, Scotts Road
146 Posts

Profile of Clarence
I would suggest you hire a professional or experienced illusion builder or capenter to custom build your illusions. It is a fact that illusions are not cheap. You need business sense when you do illusions or you will go bankrupt. Building illusions yourself without experience is a very hard thing to do.

If you wanna hire a professional builder, be prepared to pay anywhere from US$5000 - US$15,000 for a good illusion.

Start from small and work your way up. Most world class illusionists are being sponsored all the way from the beginning. You need to have a firm grip on close-up first and earn your money before you invest in illusions.

A few beginner illusions that are cheap and good are the sub-trunk, shadow box.

Think about it, after you build your illusions, where are you going to keep them? Does your house have space?

This are some of the basic questions that you have to think about before going into the illusion business.

Hope my message helped you in any way. Smile

I would also suggest that you get books by Rand Woodbury, Sharpe's Optical Illusions and Gary Darwin's book on black art. Any books by Jim Steinmeyer as well.
fxmagik
View Profile
New user
UK
28 Posts

Profile of fxmagik
First and foremost, decide on which illusion you wish to build. Second make sure you have enough space to build it in. Third make sure you have the correct tools and you know how to use them! Then make a mock up in cardboard or hardboard to check sizes,workings etc. Then once your prototype works, transfer from cardboard to wood/metal.

As an illusionist who started small and then couldn't afford £$1000's, I started to build my own illusions, then occasionally I have built for friends (for a fee of course). But if you don't enjoy messing around in the workshop, THEN Don't Start!

I would get Rand Woodbury's Illusion Video Workshops as they will show you the work you HAVE to put in!! It's not easy but if you can build something that you like it's VERY satisfiying and SAVES you a Fortune! Hope this helps.
www.specialfxmagic.com
It ain't what you do! It's the Way that you do it!
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
Yes, first make an illusion out of cardboard. Smile
Alex Krey
---------------------------
http://www.alexkrey.com
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
Thanks pal for the reply guys...

Great information and materials guys.

Here is some information about me.

I am deeply interested in illusion which can be great for marketing over here... Secondly, I am very good with tools and machinery especially working with wood. Another word wide knowledge on wood working. Thirdly, space is not a problem for me. Last of all, I have low finances...

Please guide me along and hope to hear more material and comments.

Thanks
Symmatrix Smile

Symmatrix Magic
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Quote:
I am deeply interested in illusion which can be great for marketing over here

Where is "over here"?

Look for other materials to use other than standard wood and metal.

We have a lot of "one time" illusions which are only ever used once for exclusives.
These are built with Lexan, perspex, aluminium, and often the box is done away with completely, and the aluminium frames are stretched over with appropriate material - this saves on weight (travel to and from a gig can be very expensive but it is very cheap to send by overnight courier with no worries and full insurance) and a lot of decoration expense and time (priming wood, layers and layers of laquer etc.).

The last item we made like this was a vertical mirror box, and the only wood was a one metre square 12mm plywood base. The rest was aluminium and material, plus the mirrors (plexi). The whole thing weighed nothing, and so we saved on castors too.

The whole thing icluding labour ( aluminium, plexi cutteri tailor and carpenter)cost a ridiculous $60.00 ( and a similar illusion with a similar effect appeared recently on Hocus Pocus for over $3,000 (of course that is far superior and finished exquisitely), but what we came up with something that suited our situation - and it worked a dream.

The material sides allowed a perfect cue for the person concealed inside to make their appearance, simply by brushing the side of the box they could feel when "the time was right"!
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

https://www.devilshank.com/
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
Thanks Alex for the reply,

Hmm.... Aluminium, perspex and Lexan as working material for illusion...

I do agree that those material are light and presentable...

Great idea Alex, Thanks for the contribution and I will look into it and experiment with it...

Thanks again Alex...

Symmatrix Smile

Symmatrix Magic
Clarence
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore, City Central, Scotts Road
146 Posts

Profile of Clarence
It really depends.

If you are doing a show, you should use quality materials to build your illusions using aluminium and steel.

If you just wanna experiment and do a demo tape. You could just use wood or hard cardboards.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Attention: To all illusion builders...Require some guidance please!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL