The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » UFC-Fight for the troops. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Right now the UFC is showing a live event on Spike TV to benefit the Intrepid Fallen Heros fund. http://www.fallenheroesfund.org/

It's a real good cause. You should kick them something if you can,they'll take donations in any amount. They fight for us, if you can, help the fund build this state of the art facility to help our injured service men and women. Kick a buck if you can.

https://www.fightforthetroops.com/donate.asp
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21005 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Fantastic. I like Dana White more and more.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I was surprised at how fast/well the main events were.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Yeah, it was a good card. Some good fights.

Did you see Cantwell pop that guys arm? Ouch!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCE2PvXvfqc
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I was looking at the video with a guy at work and he was a bit put off that Cantwell said he'd been waiting a long time to do that to someone.

I told him. "Tap or snap baby. Tap or snap".

Did you see what happened to Corey Hill in one of the fights that didn't make the braodcast? Nasty, nasty broken leg.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21005 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That is odd in the UFC. They have VERY few major injuries. It is something Dana White brags about. No wonder it didn't hit the braodcast.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
The arm snappage made the broadcast. The leg snappage didn't but I think that's only because it was a live event and they were juggling in some of the undercards when the main events went so quickly.

Honestly, I don't even know if they would call those "major" injuries. They look nasty and they hurt, but broken bones can heal stronger than the original. They haven't had any major head injuries, or anyone paralyzed, or anything like that though.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTgx7g7cqwc

That is the Corey Hill injury. That is pretty much exactly like a kickboxing injury video I saw ages back.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
That was nasty. Hart checked that kick and it was like Hills leg wrapped around his. One of the nastier breaks I've seen. If he didn't completely tear up all the muscles in the leg and ankle it should heal up fine.

Why didn't Cantwells opponent tap? He may have serious damage to that elbow now. At the very least he won't be able to train for a while. What was up with that? Did he not believe Cantwell could break his arm?
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1562 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
WOW! Corey Hills leg snap was nasty. What do you guys think about Koschek's KO. Pretty sick.
Justin R
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of Justin R
Quote:
Why didn't Cantwells opponent tap? He may have serious damage to that elbow now. At the very least he won't be able to train for a while. What was up with that? Did he not believe Cantwell could break his arm?
I didn't see the fight, but it seems like a lot of fighters have some kind of "code" against tapping; kinda like the Royce fight against Matt Hughes. Did you see that one? Matt had Royce in some kind of wicked looking armbar/Kimora. I read in some interview somewhere where Matt said that the only reason he let the hold go is because he knew Royce wasn't going to tap and he didn't feel like breaking his arm.
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Quote:
On 2008-12-11 19:23, Justin R wrote:
Quote:
I didn't see the fight, but it seems like a lot of fighters have some kind of "code" against tapping; kinda like the Royce fight against Matt Hughes. Did you see that one? Matt had Royce in some kind of wicked looking armbar/Kimora. I read in some interview somewhere where Matt said that the only reason he let the hold go is because he knew Royce wasn't going to tap and he didn't feel like breaking his arm.

Fortunately that isn't really true. Most fighters will tap rather than be sidelined for at least 8 months due to a broken arm. There is no shame to tapping to a submission. Royce fights once a year and they paid him a truckload of money to come back and fight Matt. Royce would let Matt break his arm but he is the exception to the rule.

Corey Hill's going to be out for at least 12 - 18 months. It was a clean break and it looks nasty.

Razak Al-Hassan did not break his arm, believe it or not, but he dislocated his elbow.

Both Yoshida and Goulet were sent to the Hospital for concussions. Yoshida left the Octagon on a stretcher and was released this morning. It was one of the few cards where a bunch of fighters got injured. Great card. Hopefully Saturday's will be good. I hope Mir gets his ass kicked.
ME
Justin R
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of Justin R
Mark Ennis- You're probably right, but I've seen a fair number of amateur fighters in gyms who would not tap. I shouldn't have assumed it was the same way with the pros. Furthermore I shouldn't have assumed that the gyms I've been to are represenative of all gyms. I apologize.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2008-12-11 20:33, Mark Ennis wrote:
Corey Hill's going to be out for at least 12 - 18 months. It was a clean break and it looks nasty.

Razak Al-Hassan did not break his arm, believe it or not, but he dislocated his elbow.

Both Yoshida and Goulet were sent to the Hospital for concussions. Yoshida left the Octagon on a stretcher and was released this morning. It was one of the few cards where a bunch of fighters got injured. Great card. Hopefully Saturday's will be good. I hope Mir gets his ass kicked.

Great report, thanks!

I agree about the "code". That's not he case most of the time. These guys don't want to be injured. Like you said, when you're caught, there is no shame in tapping out. That's why it was bizarre to me that Al-Hassan didn't tap.

When I said Cantwell "broke" Al-Hassans arm, I didn't really think he broke any bones per se. I figured it was dislocated and/or torn apart. I call that busted. lol!

I had really high hopes for Yoshida but Kosheck really jacked him. I love judo players and I wish there more guys like Hiromitsu Miura in WEC and UFC. I hadn't seen Yoshida fight but from what I heard I was looking for a good fight. Especially with Kosheck being such a good wrestler and Yoshida being a great judo practicioner. Oh well. It was a good card.

Hope everyone heals up allright. That was an unusual amount of carnage for one night.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21005 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2008-12-11 10:43, Vandy Grift wrote:
The arm snappage made the broadcast. The leg snappage didn't but I think that's only because it was a live event and they were juggling in some of the undercards when the main events went so quickly.

Honestly, I don't even know if they would call those "major" injuries. They look nasty and they hurt, but broken bones can heal stronger than the original. They haven't had any major head injuries, or anyone paralyzed, or anything like that though.

True they have had 0 injuries like that and the guys can speak after a career. It is because they take so few punches to the head really. I mean they throw them but boxers bet beaten and beaten and beaten, where the ref jumps in here way sooner.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21005 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The "code" is often misunderstood. The "code" is if it is just pain, don't tap. There are holds, some leg locks, which just hurt like a mother, but don't cause injury. So in those cases there is no need to tap, just push through it.

BUT when it is going to sideline you, there is no shame in tapping. Broken arms and joints, muscle tears and such, really can sideline you for a long time.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Quote:
On 2008-12-11 20:45, Justin R wrote:
Mark Ennis- You're probably right, but I've seen a fair number of amateur fighters in gyms who would not tap. I shouldn't have assumed it was the same way with the pros. Furthermore I shouldn't have assumed that the gyms I've been to are represenative of all gyms. I apologize.

Justin. No need to apologize. You are probably also correct when you talk about the amateurs. I am pretty sure practically every gym has a couple of guys with egos who would rather be put to sleep or have their arm broken rather than tap. That is, until it really happens Smile I was strictly talking about the pro fighters where injuries cost them money, especially ones that can be avoided.
ME
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » UFC-Fight for the troops. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL