The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Kent Gunn's Cups Routine (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
The most brilliant thing about Kent's routine, (there are a few) is that it is SO fastly different from every other C&B presentation. I watched it over and over watching for some false transer, tip over load, wand spin, anything that looked familiar, but nothing. He just put a ball in the cup and then it was gone. He put an empty cup on the table, and then it had a big ball in it. No tell tale trips to the pocket or anything. It's brialliant.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I liked Ricky Jay routine very much and highly recommend it.

Now I just watch Kent Gunn's routine and I was really impressed, very smooth, could not tell how any of it was done. What I saw with Kent Gunn's routine was MAGIC! Hope to see more of it.

Again, I am hearing Impaired and his Patter went out the window the minute the video began, so you know where you can stick that! But I could tell that the timing of his Patter appeared to work well with his moves, therefore I think his routine was flawless.

I liked the fact that Kent moves were not quick as if to hide something, he went slow enough for all of us to follow and still fool us, and that is what we call Magic.

Thank you Kent for making Magic worth watching.
Sincerely
Keith
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-12-22 01:50, Pete Biro wrote:
I like 'em both...

Me too.

Kent's steals are different among most/all doing the Cups and balls.
tgold65
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of tgold65
I was at work when I first watched this with no audio. Yowsa!! With no audio, Kent's routine blows away Ricky Jay (which I have only watched with sound). It was very obvious what Ricky Jay was doing and his loads were all easy to catch if you are a magician. I have no idea what Kent is doing. The routine itself beautiful.

When I go home I will listen to it with audio.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I'm sorry I found out Kent's methodology... I was really happy to be so fooled.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
TGold,

I think if you showed both Ricky Jay's routine, with that Incredible patter and circular story line, and my rambling routine to a layman:

They'd pick Ricky Jay's routine as the one that was more magical. I really enjoyed his historical bent on the trick. He is a consummate performer. He and I are in entirely different leagues!! I'm flattered by your comments, nonetheless.

I think magicians, with entirely too much knowledge about such matters, like new things best. I'm just happy to have a routine to call my own.

Dynamike:

Alexander DeCova does some very similar things. Denis Behr brought that to my attention. I was unaware of his work, when I came up with the stuff I'm doing. My main inspiration was the work of the incredible Bob Fitch! If you don't have his DVD set on the topit . . . I think you're really missing out on a magical treasure.

Pete . . . I am looking forward to seeing you again at WMS. I hope I can bend your ear and spend a little more time with you this year. I was so keyed up over competing, I was not at my best. I'll bring some Nikon toys this coming year!! The D700 is a thing of beauty. I have some VERY old, manual focus Nikkor lenses that are just too darned much fun!!!
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
831 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
And now there are specially modified cups and balls to go with the routine! Smile

http://www.rnt2.com/product.aspx?productno=745
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
So what's the difference between regular Mendoza cups and these modified ones?
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
906 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
Quote:
On 2008-12-24 08:37, agent61 wrote:
So what's the difference between regular Mendoza cups and these modified ones?

Sounds like a stronger ma***t.
www.cesaral.com
Sales Manager for Cesaral Magic
tgold65
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of tgold65
Kent,

I did have a chance to listen to the routine with audio on and with the audio ON, Ricky Jay is definitely better. BUT, with the audio OFF, you are definitely better. I am not exagerating here. Everyone should try this.

I think this just goes to show how important presentation is. Ricky Jay's routine is nothing spectacular technically, but he does maintain a nice story line all the way through and as a result, it builds nicely as entertainment.

Personally, I am big fan of Tommy Wonder as the pompom and the bag disappear right under the audiences noses and then reappear and he also does something unusual with his Cups and Balls in that he involves the audience by revealing the balls on a spectators hand.

I think maybe we as magicians really need to think about taking acting lessons as time and time again it seems that great presentation can take a mediocre trick and turn it into amazing entertainment.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Tgold65,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean in your critique. Please post a video of yourself performing the cups and balls.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Tgold,

I knew if you listened to Ricky Jay: then listened to me . . . You have to see/realize/(for me admit!) he is the freakin' man! That presentation of his is witty, charming, educational and darned funny.

Mine . . . none of the above.

He makes his living as an actor. I make mine . . . who cares what I really do for a living, it ain't acting. I'm not signing up for acting lessons. I don't need to compete with Ricky Jay. I'd lose!!!

This isn't about being the best. For me, it's about doing something out of the ordinary. I mean just being a magician. It's a cool and wacky part of my life and I love it.

Ricky Jay - easily the most successful actor who is also a great magician.

Kent Gunn - an old sailor with a weird cups and balls routine.

Ricky Jay focused on the entertainment. I focused on fooling the snot out of magicians. For those magicians, in the know, they still seem to like it. I couldn't be happier.

Point - RJ.

KG
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
And a happy new year to you Kent... well said.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
mydogripper
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
182 Posts

Profile of mydogripper
Hi Kent
Merritt here.... all I can say is I am having fun with YOUR routine... thanks again for your emails
http://www.MerrittAmbrose.com
2011 Greater Atlanta Magician of the Year
milesg
View Profile
Regular user
(of experimental medications)
160 Posts

Profile of milesg
Well, I figure that I'll have to learn this eventually. I have a set of John Mendoza Combo Cups on the way from RNTII and I noticed that they are also selling the Fun Shop ball set separately. They claim that they work with the cups I ordered, but the special cups they sell are supposedly 'tweaked' to work with this specific routine. Does anyone have some insight as to weather I'll be able to do this routine if I get just the ball set to go with my copper cups?

Thanks,
-Miles
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Quote:
On 2008-12-28 19:36, milesg wrote:
Well, I figure that I'll have to learn this eventually. I have a set of John Mendoza Combo Cups on the way from RNTII and I noticed that they are also selling the Fun Shop ball set separately. They claim that they work with the cups I ordered, but the special cups they sell are supposedly 'tweaked' to work with this specific routine. Does anyone have some insight as to weather I'll be able to do this routine if I get just the ball set to go with my copper cups?

Thanks,
-Miles

Thanks for asking this Miles! I was wondering the same thing myself.
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Miles,

The copper Mendoza cups will not work for a single vanish. I think you could routine the vanish easily and do 95% of the routine, as written. I sure do like that blue ball vanish though . . .

I have not experimented with the aluminum cups RNT2 is selling.

I list the two sets of cups that I know have worked for me, in the instructions I supply. I hope I'm the only source for them. If anyone but me and my girl lulu are supplying either the pamphlet or the pdf, let me know.

Of sets I've personally verified work:

The least expensive set I know of is: The Johnson set.
The best is the cups made by Brett Sherwood.

Epiphany was kind enough to send off a set of the aluminum cups to me, gratis. I doubt they'll make very much money from these sets of cups. I am touched they thought enough of my routine that they came up with a set of cups that works for a very, very reasonable price.

When they get here I'll let you know if they work for the routine. (After reading their explanation on their site, I'm sure they have it right) At 200 bucks, with the custom made ball set that is a steal. The next most expensive set up would be easily more than twice that (Johnson Products set is over 500 with shipping). You'd still have to order a set of balls for 70 or eighty bucks on top of that.

I advise anyone who is starting out to learn the Vernon or Ammar routine. Don't start with my routine. It has too many restrictions and off-the-wall requirements. Plus you can do the Vernon routine with any set of cups. I don't think there are any laymen who would perceive my routine as any different. The effect is the same.
milesg
View Profile
Regular user
(of experimental medications)
160 Posts

Profile of milesg
Thanks for your information Kent. I don't intend to start with your routine, but there are some really great methods which I may want to incorporate into my own routine as I become more comfortable with the more standard methods.

I have to agree with you: That blue ball vanish is pretty great! Oddly, it was the only thing I think I figured out when I first watched your routine, but I believe the layman would find it to be the most magical without knowledge of the apparatus. Of course, if my guess as to how the blue ball vanishes is correct, it messes up my theory about how it comes back with the other two. It's all just too good Smile

Really, I think curiosity is getting the best of me and I'll have to buy the pamphlet.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-12-24 02:10, kentfgunn wrote:

Dynamike:

Alexander DeCova does some very similar things. Denis Behr brought that to my attention. I was unaware of his work, when I came up with the stuff I'm doing. My main inspiration was the work of the incredible Bob Fitch! If you don't have his DVD set on the topit . . . I think you're really missing out on a magical treasure.

I have Ammar's Topit DVD. I have Scott Berry's Topit. I will check out Bob Fitch's Topit DVD since you mentioned it.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2004 Posts

Profile of puggo
Kent,
I take my hat off to you and your routine. Most different, most entertaining.
Charlie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Kent Gunn's Cups Routine (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL