The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Kent Gunn's Cups Routine (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
BobMc
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
148 Posts

Profile of BobMc
Hey Kent - just wanted to say that I bought your cup routine and wanted to acknowledge that I think it is completely brilliant. I really like it. Somehow I need to personalize it in someway because I'd feel like a complete hack just stealing everything from you, but the combination of the different colored balls, your final loads, and using the chop cup like you do is frickin brilliant and very original, at least for me. So thanks for sharing the routine my friend – well done and much appreciated.

All the best,
Robert
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Kent WHO? Smile
Actually Bob, I debated long and hard about purchasing Kent's notes and decided to pass because it is IMO one of the best ever and I LOVE being fried! This routine leaves me extra crispy!
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
I'm the same way. I almost bought the notes just to tip Kent's hat for putting this together...but then I knew I'd read them...and then the magic would have been lost for me.

There's a couple of things I've vowed never to learn:

1. What that metal thing was on Jim's site...looked like a futuristic shin guard
2. Where that wretched red hanky goes every time the guy stuffs it into his fist
3. Kent Gunn's cups routine.

I'm better off if there's still a little magic left in the world for me to wonder about...

(ok, so a bit of this was tongue in cheek...but most was written with sincerity)
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1632 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Robert,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you liked the booklet. I tried really hard NOT to sell it to anyone who didn't know it took some stuff outside the norm, to do. I didn't want to leave anyone feeling like they got ripped off.

Mickey, Chad:
I never want to know how Lennart Green does his magic. I refuse to watch the explanation several of Tommy Wonder's effects. I prefer, to remain certain they use real magic.

Robert, you gave me a heck of a lift. Thanks you!!
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of dcjames
I know what you all mean. Sometimes it's just better to enjoy the magic than to understand the mecahnizations that make it so.
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
840 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Is there a vid of kent's routine? If so - where? If not.. how did you all discover it?

Cheers!

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1632 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Ok, that was too weird.

The message from Dorian, was posted by me, Kent. I just realized he left his login when he was here last night.

Hey, I could post all kinds of stuff, under his name . . .

Ok . . . I won't this will be the last time I do it. Heh, heh, heh.

Kent Gunn, Disguised as Dorian Rhodell.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2739 Posts

Profile of Tom G
That routine of Kent's is a piece of genius. Worked to perfection.
I will say the reply from Dorian, had me more confused than normal..
Tom
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Me too!

Couldn't figure out why he was thanking folks for praising Kent's routine.
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

I just thought KG shaved his mug, dyed his hair and changed his name to confuse folks!
BobMc
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
148 Posts

Profile of BobMc
Kent/ Dorian,

Yes there are aspects of the routine that took some stuff outside of the norm that will probably completely fool other magicians, but I personally don't think that those things are what make the routine so entertaining and unique to laymen and me. Rather it is the use of the different colored balls and they way you used other certain gaffs. So thanks again Kent - very entertaining
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Bob,

I just wanted a routine that was one I could call my own. I think many, if not most magicians have their own routines in their soul. Once you've mastered a solid routine, I like to think that's when the real magic can begin. I don't think what I came up with will ever approach the polished performance of Michael Ammar, Tommy Wonder or any real professional magician.

I'm another joyous amateur who loves magic. I exhort one and all of my brethern here: experiment, ponder and goof off with the props you love. I know if you work at it and consider tools that are not in vogue . . . neat stuff can happen!

For me it has made all the difference.

Thanks again Bob,

Kent
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Kent
your routine is the best ive ever seen
better than Ammars and wonders
sometimes I don't think you realise how good it is!
all the best
Barry
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Barry,

I've all the pride in the world over it. What real magicians, like:

Vincent, Ammar, Wonder etc. have, is performing ability! I watch my practice videos, I see myself still watching my props, not the audience: I hear unpolished blathering:

I like the routine and am happy with the sequence. I'm glad you like it too. Perhaps in a few years, I will be more polished. I'd still rather watch a magician who has years in front of an audience. I think the magic delivered by those folks has a beauty and directness of effect I still lack.

Many magicians have given me some great postive feedback here on the Café. It has been heart-warming and very, very nice for my ego. Don't worry, I'm egotistical enough for both of us!!! Take a trip over to the Busker's Café . . . They tore me a new orifice on my lack of presentation skills.

I think that any discussion of best, or most skilled is always moot. I like my routine best too though!!!!

All my best and Happy Holidays!!

KG
BobMc
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
148 Posts

Profile of BobMc
Quote:
I like my routine best too though!!!!

Me too - and there were several things in there to make magicians stratch their heads, but frankly none of that is really what interests me the most. For me personally, it is the most enjoyable cup routine I have ever seen for any laymen. So now I have been practicing on borrowing probably a little too much from Kent, but I'd be too embarrassed to copy too much so hopefully I won't. Much Thanks Kent. The cups and balls was probably the 2nd or 3rd trick I learned 30 years ago. Probably out of nostaltga, but I still think it along with the linking rings are my favorites. Yet your routine that is different enough from Dai and Gazo which is very welcomed, and it now feels fresh again. wow this sounds like as a-kissing post, so be warned Kent, my next post will be obligated to slam you for the sake of balance Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I would much rather watch Kent Gunn do his routine than watch Ricky Jay perform his version.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

There's a hellava compliment!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I like 'em both...
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
milesg
View Profile
Regular user
(of experimental medications)
160 Posts

Profile of milesg
Well, I can watch Tommy Wonder's, Ricky Jay's and Michael Ammar's routines and figure them out with lots of rewinding and careful observation, but this has TOTALLY fried me! I mean, I get some of it, but I'll be ***ed if I can figure it out.

I may have to go with the idea of keeping this one secret from myself. It's just too much fun!

Kent, as far as your performance and patter issues; I think the problems are very minor. If you took some time to block out the whole routine with a written script/action list that you hone and polish for a while, you'd be able to perform just as well as Ammar and Wonder.

Keep up the good work, and thanks Robert for bringing this routine to my attention.
-Miles
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Kent Gunn's Cups Routine (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL