The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Very annoying in the forsale threads. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
The one thing that I find really annoying here at the Magic Café are guys that keep selling stuff.They use one thread for one item and than post six to ten items and that takes up half a page.

I think a rule should be only one thread per sale and you have to list all the items and not use a single thread for each item.

If someone is just selling a few items they want to get rid of,in less than a day they wind up on page two or three because of all the other post.

Another good rule would be that you can only list once a month.There area about a dozen guys or so that use this site like a on line magic shop.I don't think this is the place for that.Go get a site.

Please let me know what some of you think or if you really don't care and think it dosen't matter.I'm sure the guys selling all the time will jump on me for this post.

Just my two cents.
Don
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I don't know. It would seem, if you are selling a few items, easier to keep track of things in seperate threads, but not hugely so. Seperate threads allow you to include more in the description, so people can get a clearer idea of what is for sale before viewing the thread. Minor things, but still plusses.

I don't care for the once-a-month rule. If someone started a sell thread for one item on January 1, and then wanted to sell something else a week later, he would have to wait 3 weeks before listing it.

I don't find either situation irritating. However, if the management wants to change, fine. Basically, I'm ambivalent about the first rule, and against the second.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I gave the magic Café's "for sale" sections another chance recently and still found them to be sorely lacking in breadth and depth...

I've pretty much given up on 'em. I've scored more gems on *b*y than I've ever even seen here.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
It's kind of a bummer listing something, and then later that day your items are 2 or more pages deep, but it is afterall, a free service to the sellers. I can't find myself complaining about that. I agree that separate threads for different items SOMETIMES will make for a less cluttered ad, and that I think helps both the sellers and the buyers.

What was annoying to me was seeing someone begin a sale thread with multiple items, and then a few days later start a new thread to give the updates on what was left. What was annoying was that there would be more than one thread running for the same items. That is just plain confusing. For what it's worth to anyone guilty of doing that, when I see that happening, I immediately stop looking at their items.

Also, any ad with many different items listed is much easier to understand, once sales are being made, if updates include more than just what has been sold. Rebuild, and include a list of what is left. That saves the reader a lot of time trying to get there by process of elimination.

I can understand some guys listing a lot of things and with a lot of frequency. This economy is hurting some people more than others, and from some of the things I've seen offered up lately, it has to be painful parting with them. Let's face the reality that some of these guys might be just trying to liquidate some of their collections to keep their bills paid. I prefer to cut them a little slack.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
[quote]
"I can understand some guys listing a lot of things and with a lot of frequency. This economy is hurting some people more than others, and from some of the things I've seen offered up lately, it has to be painful parting with them. Let's face the reality that some of these guys might be just trying to liquidate some of their collections to keep their bills paid. I prefer to cut them a little slack."

I'm not talking about these guys Michael.I'm talking about guys that have been posting things forsale just about every week for years here.You know what I'm talking about.

I guess if the staff dosen't care why should I.

Don
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
LOL! Don, you would have loved this house a few miles from me. These people set up a yard sale on their front drive, and it stayed for over two years!! In rainy weather, it was just covered up with blue tarps. I think someone finally made them move the stuff because now it's in the backyard and the blue tarps are being used like walls of a store.

I suspect some of the people selling here, buy as much as they sell. Maybe a revolving door on the magic room. LOL!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
That's a great idea. There aren't enough rules in the world as it is. Keep up the good work.
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I have profeesional "garage sale" people in my neighborhood.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Quote:
On 2008-12-14 04:06, bitterman wrote:
That's a great idea. There aren't enough rules in the world as it is. Keep up the good work.

I see how you got your name.

Don
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-12-14 08:53, Justin Style wrote:
I have profeesional "garage sale" people in my neighborhood.

ditto. here in San Francisco it's very common.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I don't know how middleman can make a living these days...
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Very annoying in the forsale threads. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL