The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Lacrosse Balls in Johnson Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BobMc
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
151 Posts

Profile of BobMc
I have checked the archives, and what I gather is that there is some amount of variation in the sizes of lacrosse balls out there. Some sound like they work perfect in Johnson cups, and some don't at all. Of course, I am looking for some reliable lacrosse balls that will load cleanly, especially if I can order them online. So if anyone has gone through this exercise and has found some that load cleanly in johnson cups, I would truly appreciate that information on a specific brand.

Much Thanks,
Robert
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
http://www.dube.com juggling balls, lacrosse balls, etc.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
It has been suggested before but what I have done is actually take my cups to a sporting goods store and find the perfect fit!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The permissible leeway in size for lacrosse balls is such that you MUST select them individually. There are only a couple of brands on the market and ALL of them vary like crazy.

Here is a quote from the Rules of Lacrosse:

Quote:
The Ball: The ball must be made of solid rubber and can be white, yellow or orange. The ball is 7.75 - 8 inches in circumference and 5 - 5.25 ounces.

Do the math on this, and you will see that the ball can be as small as 2.46 inches or as large as 2.54 inches. That's almost 1/10 inch variation in diameter.

I have a box with about 4 dozen lacrosse balls in it. About half of them will fit into a Paul Fox cup. I can't vouch for all Johnson cups, although they should be close.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Perfect fit? My dad worked for a tailor and when asked about a perfect fit... HE THREW ONE... bada boom!!!
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
BobMc
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
151 Posts

Profile of BobMc
Thanks guys. I didn't realize that there was that variation in size within the same brand of balls. I figured it was that some brands were slightly bigger than others. So I'll bring one cup to a sporting good store and try different lacrosse balls, while I am sure I'll look like a complete freak to the guys watching me on the security cameras
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Go up to one of the salesmen or helpers and explain to them that you need to purchase several lacrosse balls that fit into one of these cups. Tell them that you are a magician, and this is one of the classic tricks in magic. If they ask to see a trick, show them one.

You may even become their favorite customer. BTW, if they ask why you need to try the balls, explain that the rules of Lacrosse actually allow almost a 1/10 of an inch variation in the size of the balls.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Lacrosse Balls in Johnson Cups (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL