The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Cups ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GTBROTHERs
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of GTBROTHERs
I am currently on the quest of having my own cups made. Any clues where to start looking for someone with these talents?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Are you looking for a single set for yourself? Or, are you planning on marketing these? What are your requirements? Desired material? Do you have a design in mind? Any metal worker will need to know this.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
725 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Shawn.
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
691 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Be prepared to spend many thousands.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Perhaps you need to know what it costs to have a set of cups made.

Spinning is the most common method. The initial cost will be about $10,000. This is the cost of the "chuck" or block that the cup is spun on. That, by the way, is the cost for just the block, not even the first set of cups.

The second method is machining a cup. Some makers, such as Roy Kueppers, do this by hand. If this appeals to you, send him a design and find out how much he would charge for it.

The third method is CNC machining. This requires that a program be written to get the machine to cut the material properly. Cost depends on the programmer.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
These days, I would assume that "programming" means drawing the cup in 3-D on a CAD system (that has an option to convert the drawing to CNC codes) and then adjusting the 3D design as needed to get it cut properly.

At least, that's how we did it when I was involved in making CNC airplane parts.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
GTBROTHERs
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of GTBROTHERs
I'm interested in making just 1 set for now... I simply enjoy building or having my props made. I like the joy of it.... I have had about 3 pouches made and thought, "Why not try and make my own cups...?" Looking as I am familiar with auto CAD, this might be an option for me. I'm not sure, but if I could buy the machine that cuts the metal, I could have a ball..

Bill, you stated the first method of spinning...after the block has been made, is reproduction easy if I wanted...?

I'm not sure even how my cups where made, but I'm sure someone does... They're Gazzo's solid copper.
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
725 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Gazzo's are spun...
Shawn.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
You could just pick up a used lathe and turn them out of wood. Work on the design, turn them, play with them a while, tinker with the design, and then make some more.

You'd have about the same possibilities (and limitations) of cups design with turning them as you would with CNC cups.

I personally don't like CNC made cups. The smooth inner surface just doesn't sit right with me. I like spun cups...where a bead is REALLY a bead...but that's just me.

Anyway, if you just want to mess around, then try turning. That way, you could be the designer AND the builder. You could make countless changes to your design without paying a cent after your start-up costs.

Plus, you could make all kinds of other fun things too...like pull knobs for lights, candle sticks, big knobby pens that are uncomfortable to write with, handles for ferreld screw drivers...ya know, essentials.

The cost is then just the price of the lathe and tools...which can be around $300-$500 bucks if you buy a used mini-lathe, twist chuck, grinder, and tools.

Go get 'em, tiger!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't think a mini lathe is going to be adequate for turning wooden cups. It's not so much the size of the finished product, but the size of the original piece of wood that would be the problem. When you turn a cup, you run into a problem with the way the humidity in the wood and the humidity in the air interact. Cups tend to become oval after they sit for a while.

Some turners combat this by using segmented turning blocks. Joe Porper, for example, uses two pieces of wood that are glued together. A turning block made of four pieces of wood could provide some interesting results.

Spinning metal is not an easy procedure to learn. It is very dangerous. If you are going to spin copper, you might be able to produce a set of decent cups after a year of practice.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
My Delta mini lathe has a 10 inch swing.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Then, it should work fine. Most mini lathes have about a four inch swing. My big Nova 3000 has a sixteen inch swing, which is fine for just about anything short of a beer barrel!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3225 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-12-15 23:50, GTBROTHERs wrote:
I am currently on the quest of having my own cups made. Any clues where to start looking for someone with these talents?

If you're just looking to customize your cups, consider engraving some cups you already have. Most art supply houses will carry a product that will acid etch metals (practice first!). Also, you can use a Dremel engraving bit to do some nice free-hand etching as well...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
GTBROTHERs
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of GTBROTHERs
I definitely want to customize, but the design is where I want it to differ... Another question, how are chop cups made? I know you said there were 3 methods... Is it difficult to get the ma$%et in there? I really am thinking about trying to pick this up, as it seems like a fun, creative hobby.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Spinning the gaff into a Chop Cup is even more advanced than the cup itself. For the most part, spinning is your only option. So once you're tooled up for cup production, changing to make Chop Cups shouldn't be a problem. Unless you're specifically interested in a combo set, most Chop Cups are a different design, so it would require a different set of chucks and yet another big cash outlay. You might get away with a hardwood chuck for a single prototype so your cost may not be as high as for someone who wants production quantities.

I don't know the specifics of any of this, just a general knowledge of what's involved. I'd start small, spinning other objects before attempting things like this. Just the tolerances involved in making a good C&B set seems to be pretty tough. Not only do you have to control the I.D., but you have to accurately estimate the final O.D. and taper so it works well with the I.D. of the second cup so the cups can stack properly. Just following the online trials and tribulations of Jake and James Riser as they work through these details should be a sign that this isn't for the squeamish.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
GTBROTHERs
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of GTBROTHERs
Ok, thanks a lot, Dave.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-12-17 09:24, GTBROTHERs wrote:
I definitely want to customize, but the design is where I want it to differ... Another question, how are chop cups made? I know you said there were 3 methods... Is it difficult to get the ma$%et in there? I really am thinking about trying to pick this up, as it seems like a fun, creative hobby.

This is really a subject for the Secret Sessions. How you do the work depends on what the cup is made of.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

angeloturn
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of angeloturn
If you have an autoCad drawing of what you want I'll take a look to see what I can to do to help you. You can e mail it iafrateturns@cox.net

Angelo
Leave no wood unturned.....A
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Cups ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL