The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Plastic Bicycle Cases - Source, Opinion? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
I'm looking for bicycle card cases made of plastic. (they're identical to the cardboard cases)

I figure they'll wear forever, but I'm not sure how "legitimate" they appear. Anyone have a retail source and/or an opinion of these cases?

Smile

Thanks - Ron
Poindexter
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin USA
57 Posts

Profile of Poindexter
MagicSmith's got 'em... see "Plastic Bicycle Cases" on his index page.
I haven't held them in my hands yet.... on my list of things to order Smile
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
If the design is not critical for you you can get the plastic cases that some 8mm Video or Data Cassettes come in. As long as they don't have the raised circle for the spindles they work great.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Justin McWilliams
View Profile
1983 - 2005
New Jersey
157 Posts

Profile of Justin McWilliams
Nice idea, Rob, I'm going to have to give that a shot
Hey I'm a magician, i've never told a lie.....oops:o/
Great Domino
View Profile
Special user
Canada
541 Posts

Profile of Great Domino
There's always the Card protector thingy. t's made of metal and it won't allow your cards to bend or warp.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3220 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
I usually carry a red and a blue deck with me, and eventually the cases would get frayed and worn.

So I bought "Card Guard Superior", the stainless steel card protectors. They do work great, but they are quite expensive. PenguinMagic.com sells them for $6.95 apiece.

Card Guard Superior is essentially, a three sided shell, i.e. a piece of stainless steel, with two bends in it. It also has a small half moon shaped opening so you can grasp the cards and pull them out of the metal shell. They should easily a lifetime.

You can buy several bicycle decks for $6.95, so if you don't carry cards with you a lot, then it is probably not worth the price.

I am not familiar with the plastic cases. I will have to check them out. I am not sure how they would hold up to being in a pocket with car keys, but I might want to use them as a cheaper solution for regular decks of cards, and use the metal guards for some of my gaffed decks.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
The plastic cases I have work really well. I've kept one in my pocket with a deck of bikes for a couple of months now. It doesn't flex or mar the cards. The plastic is quite thick and durable and damage would almost have to be intentional.
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi,

The reference to MagicSmith http://www.magicsmith.com will provide the cases.

I have used them and they seem to work fine. They will split on the folds after a time.

Personally, I just replace the box!

Regards,

Paul Green
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
826 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
There is a school of thought that thinks special cases look proppy. Who carries a special cardcase and why? Cards are $1.50 per pack at Costco. Use them for Mercury card fold practice and crack out a new deck.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
I like my plastic cases even more after today's circumstances. Someone set their soda down on my magic table while I was doing walkaround and it got spilled onto several decks of cards. All that weren't in the plastic cases were ruined. Those in the cases are just fine.
WizzBang
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of WizzBang
Out of the box with a rubber band around it is how I carry my cards, it gives an 'impromptu' feel. I give them away faster than they wear out anyway.

Storage is in the card box in a press seal bag in a suitcase.
markkwan
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of markkwan
I was going to place an order for the protector from Penguin, but now I'm leaning towards the Magic Smith plastic Bike cases. Maybe I'll go all out and just get one of each.
What good is a night, when you can't break it.
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
I've found that keeping the plastic on that Bike decks come in prolongs the life of the box. By that I don't mean don't open them, but when you tear the warp-around piece by the top around the deck, just tear off the top part, leaving the lower 80% on the box.

You can then use that as a sleeve for extra cards (dupes, gaffs, etc).
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
G. LaBarre
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
121 Posts

Profile of G. LaBarre
You could use the clear (not invisible) scotch tape/packing tape (2" wide) to wrap the card case up after it has been opened, including the flap.
This keeps my card cases (and cards) clean. I just use this so my practice decks in my pockets don't look so gundgie.
In essence you're making a second skin over the entire box. You'll have to snip new expansion flaps at the back.
Cheap - who me? Nah, just finding simple solutions to little problems. But, if you are going to put in your two cent worth, I've got a piggy bank!
Glen Alan - "The HOW in your Magic should be Secondary to the WOW in your Magic."
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Are plastic cases good for doing Card on the Ceiling?
TengLun
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of TengLun
I was also interested in buying a metal card case. However, I also like
more expensive card decks (read, $5.00 instead of $2.00). I think ten dollars to
protect really nice cards is a good investment, especially if I use it for years.
I figure 2 years of use will justify the cost.

Labarre,

Great idea with the tape! Currently taping the boxes on my two practice decks.

Seth Turnlund
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Plastic Bicycle Cases - Source, Opinion? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL