The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » what is yours? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
What is your favorite walk around / close up routine (effect) you do for kids?
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I have never been booked to do close up or walk around for kids. However, when I work holiday parks etc. I sell them a kid's magic show, then after a short break I go around table to table and there are kids there but I do my normal close up. Kids seem to love it just the same as the adults and I get more spin off adult close up bookings than I would if I played to the kids. Obviously this is more profitable to me.
phillip
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1280 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I think that Star Gazer is a great close-up kid effect.
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I don't get booked to do walk about close up for kids, but if I'm booked to do walk about balloon modelling and I get a chance I often do a little trick or two. I always have a couple of rubber bands on me and then I can do the Crazy Man's Handcuffs; it always goes down a treat.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
744 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
This is not the type of performance I usually do either, but my normal kids birthday show is such that I can perform in a walk around situation if need be.

If you are just working from your pockets the 'Judy the Mouse' is a good stand in for Rocky.

Also you don't want to make the same mistake I did about 10 years ago when I was starting out & approach someone with the colour changing pocket knives. Smile
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
I love to appear a coin, vanish it, reappear it and turn it into a small size candy for the kid.
Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1166 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Like you guys, I don't really do close-up effects for kids, but one trick that I do like and always goes down really well in a suitable environment is "spooky hand". It's a kind of automaton hand that moves along a spread of cards and finds a previously chosen card. The kids always freak out!
Mark
Jerry Hornak
View Profile
New user
Northwest Connecticut
35 Posts

Profile of Jerry Hornak
I always have these close-up items on me in case I'm spotted in public as "The Magician". (Besides the always-ready TT!)

A bunny paddle, a haunted key, and a three inch wand for the "on the ear" vanish.

This way, I can do anything from one quick trick to a five minute mini-show.

I wrap up by giving them a fortune telling fish with my contact info on the back. They go away happy and you look good to take the time to make them smile.
Making Happy Memories for Children since 1980!
https://JerrysMagic.com
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
LWolf, I also LOVE Star-Gazer! I should really break out those instructions again and get some refills!

As for my favorite closeup effect for kids goes...it would have to be spongeballs. I do it in birthday situations as well and everyone loves it. The possibilities that come with a couple little sponges never fails to amaze me. There is a lot you can do and there are many opportunities to make the kid feel special. Just my opinion! Smile

-Andini Smile
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I have done close up for kids maybe five times as a paid show. People don't ask for it much unless it is an event like a school carnival or company picnic where walk around is a better format than a formal show.

Sponge balls are the numero uno in popularity and I'm amazed it wasn't mentioned thus far. I also get a great reaction to the vanishing silk using the ever popular TT.

Speaking of TT, I have used it to reconstruct an opened packet of Equal, twice for kids in a walk around venue and they like that as well.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Sponge balls and a bunny paddle.
Daniel Faith
jasper
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of jasper
Sponge balls, Professor's Nightmare, my children friendly presentation of Card in Mouth. Impossible box (not really a trick but it can be left with someone to play with). I like the idea of using Star Gazer.
I do strolling as part of most party bookings as a little bonus if it's appropriate.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
--Albert Einstein
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1296 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Taking my thumb off! I always have this one on me and ready to go. One of the first tricks I ever mastered!!! Smile (And I still really do it, kids love it.)

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Rkull
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Rkull
I do a quick sponge ball routine and a vanish of a silk with a reappearance in her pocket.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4617 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
"Kid's Kards" is a good packet trick, very easy. And, I highly recommend Bill Abbott's "Close Up Magic for Kids". He has several brilliant routines that most kids would go crazy for! Unfortunately, my magic student has my copy; must make a note to get it back....
For older kids, "Flash Cash" goes down a treat. "Bendable Pen", "Colour Monte", a ring and rope routine, "Flying Knot", card to wallet, "Invisible Deck", "Sharpie through Anything", and Hot Rod are all winners.
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
I'm really starting to like Kids Kards, although I find the adults tend to get a bigger kick out of it than the kids. It's a very visual change that really seems to wow 'em. I just learned Crazy Man's Handcuffs, but judging by my own kids' reactions, I think that'll be a winner too.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
barrypeters
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of barrypeters
One of my favourite tricks for anyone, including kids, is the classic 3 card Monte with the bought red and blue diamond cards and the 14 dollar card. So much magic happens in a few minutes, lots of comedy happens, and everyone thinks they have it figured out by the end. The patter draws people in, ie. "What colour would you have picked if you were me?" Because the cards are coloured diamonds instead of regular cards kids can follow it as well.

I don't use LOOPS much but I like to end Crazy Man's Handcuff's by levitating one of the rubber bands. Kids and adults eat this up!

I use colour vision for kids often as well. It is one mentalism trick that they understand.

Card warp is also a winner with kids.

I think right now these are my favourite with kids.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I perform a really nice card effect where a child picks a card. The card is supposed to be the same number as the child's age. If the child is seven, they card selected is a six. From here I perform a series of colour changes where I 'add' an extra spot but it keeps 'falling off'

Lot's of fun for all ages.
trickytrav
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of trickytrav
Sponge balls kids love it.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
CMH/stargazer, or the pearl poodle.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » what is yours? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL