The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » 3 glasses/3 colours (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Fabio P
View Profile
Special user
Rome - ITALY
540 Posts

Profile of Fabio P
The magician arrives on the stage with a bottle of water.

3 empty glasses are on the table: below each glass there is a silk of different colour

When the mag pours the water, it becomes immediately and openly of the same colour of the silk, without covering the glass with the silk.

What is the name of this visual trick?

Thanks/Fabio
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I think the name of the trick is "Robert."
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
You guys so funny!!!

Check Tarbell, I'm sure it's in there.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Fabio P
View Profile
Special user
Rome - ITALY
540 Posts

Profile of Fabio P
Very very nice replies!
I am astonished, really!!!
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2579 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I was in a show at the tender age of about 17 with a host of other magic acts and one of the other performers did a version of this effect. The 3 glasses each with a different coloured ribbon round it's centre were stacked mouth upward with a small sheet of perspex between each glass. The ribbon from then centre glass was removed and placed into an apparently empty jug. Liquid was the poured from the 'empty' jug into the topmost glass but the middle glass was seen to fill with liquid that matched the colour ribbon that had just been removed and placed into the jug. The same proceedure followed using thr bottommost glass and it's ribbon, followed finally by the topmost glass.

I rather unhelpfully don't know the name of this effect. It was performed by the wife of a magician/illusion builder so it might have even been something he'd created himself. Thought it might help or at least be intertesting to hear another take on this effect.

Cheers Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I remember reading about some chemicals (for retouching photographs, I believe) that are clear but change color when mixed with water. I don't know if these would work for magical applications, or if they are even avavilable anymore, but I always wanted to try them.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20517 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The first good instructions for trick that I got came with the "Tea Kettle" long before cable TV. I'm sure it had to have been in books long before that. It is a classic.

Lucy ties silks (napkins) around the necks of the different live animals at her "tea party" before pouring them drinks matching the silks. For years she had a real goose that would drink her drink, take off her silk and leave it on the table and then hop down from her chair and walk the footlights honking. The audience always screamed AFLAC!

Too bad they never became a sponsor.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3451 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2008-12-28 12:47, Sealegs wrote:
I was in a show at the tender age of about 17 with a host of other magic acts and one of the other performers did a version of this effect. The 3 glasses each with a different coloured ribbon round it's centre were stacked mouth upward with a small... It was performed by the wife of a magician/illusion builder so it might have even been something he'd created himself. Thought it might help or at least be intertesting to hear another take on this effect.Cheers Neal

The glass part of the trick sounds like it MIGHT be Father James Blantz' Liquid Penetration (with food coloring). There's probably a Lota Vase,too.

U.F. Grant also sold an effect he dubbed The Witch Doctor Can. The performer poured clear water from a small pitcher back and forth from the pitcher to the can and back again. Finally the clear water was left in the can. Next the performer pulled a dry silk handkerchief from the water-filled can.

This colored silk was placed next to an empty wine glass and colored water matching this handkerchief was poured from the can into the glass! This was repeated with two additional differently colored silks.

A typical finish to this trick was to pour all 3 different colored glasses of liquid back into the Witch Doctor Can and then produce a final multi-colored silk.

Not a bad trick and typically simple and direct Grant thinking.

Julie
amazingcarrington
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of amazingcarrington
Magic Hands also made a version of this in which a champagne bottle is used.
At the end of the 3 color liquid production, the bottle is wrapped in a newspaper and broken over the knee revealing two spring flower bouquets.

I've given you the description but apologize that I don't recall the name of the illusion by Magic Hands.
Perhaps someone will offer the missing info.

Good luck
Carrington
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7408 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
My Atomic Cocktail shaker is similar and is demonstrated on my website.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Drool! Drool! Drool! Such lovely items indeed. Someday, hopefully soon.
Again, Happy New Year Richard.

Dr. Solar
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7408 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Happy New Year to you also.

I always enjoy our conversations and appreciate your feedback.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
coachc
View Profile
Regular user
WV
130 Posts

Profile of coachc
ITS CALLED MAGIC LIQUID PENATRATION COLOR CHANGE.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » 3 glasses/3 colours (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL