The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Luck of Lucretia (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1239 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
Let me talk to you about this mystery woman (also known as Lucrezia) and Ken De Courcy routine.

History:

Lucretia Borgia has become one of the icons of female monstrosity, her name has been associated with murder, incest and all manner of decadent depravity.

Lucretia was the illegitimate child of Cardinal Rodrigo Borgia and his mistress. Later her father will become Pope Alexander VI.

Her notoriety comes to exceed that of her father and her brothers, whose bloodthirsty ruthlessness is so well documented.

People rumored that Lucrezia participated in incest and sexual orgies with her father and brother. She thought nothing of carrying out cold-blooded murders, some masterminded by herself others by her relatives.

Swords, daggers, garroting and poison were only a few of the Borgias favored methods of disposing of those who’d displeased them or stood in the way of their political or material gain. Also, the fact that one of Lucretia’s 3 husbands and various lovers died under mysterious circumstances is no secret.

Lucretia who is said to have poisoned any number of rivals by dropping lethal fluids into their drinks from a special envenoming ring.

She was known as "Pretty Poison", "Heart of Darkness", "She-Devil" and "The Infamous".

That's why She can be founded at any crime library.

Her story and fame brings a good plot for a bizarre routine.

So, after a short introduction of her life, let me talk about the effect.

The Luck of Lucretia by Ken Courcy; A PH Marketing Publication.

Description of the Effect: The performer shows six cards with pictures of glass of wine, one has a skull and bones on the bowl (the poison card).

The spectator shuffles and deals the cards face down, but somehow always chooses the poison glass.

The effect can be performed very easy, immediately reset.

The manuscript brings different methods (about 6) to force the desire card; no new methods are shown but good ideas to perform this effect many times with the same person(s).

The most important about the manuscript is that shows a lot of different routines that can be used with the set of cards included. For example: Italian Roulette, It comes back by Edwin, Back to the Top by Mark Lee, Murder Most Foul by Peter Rooke, Venom and Wine by Leslie May and so…

This effect was designed for close-up, but the manuscript brings a lot of ideas to make your own stage routine.

For example, in my stage routine participate five males and one lady, each one sits on a chair.
Each males hold a cup of wine (could be real cups, or bottle of wine or jumbo card), the lady is asked to hold a mystery ring with a hidden compartment.
The lady plays the role of Lucretia and she selects the male who drinks the poisoned cup of wine and the Performer is able to predict which person Lucretia chooses.

This kind of effect allows to be combined with another’s bizarre props/routines easily.

I high recommend look at this effect/Story.

Enjoy it!
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Where can one find the manuscript? I don't recall seeing it before Ken De Courcy passed away this past July.

Tony
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1239 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
I got it at H & R Magic Books. http://www.magicbookshop.com
fraughton
View Profile
Veteran user
of books
327 Posts

Profile of fraughton
It is an excellent premise, and it was also developed into a masterpiece called "Dinner with the Borgias" by David Parr. It may be found in his book, "Brain Food".

Mr. Parr doesn't use cards (as such), but has created a masterpiece of wit, charm and suspense as the drama unfolds with 3 spectaters as dinnerguests onstage. From your description, the methods must be quite different.

If this version uses cards, I would guess that there is a possibility of bringing this fine premise to the closeup table.
Beware of this and that.
jackwat
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of jackwat
Can anyone point me to the moves needed in the effect where three cups are shown, magician turns back, "poison" is placed in one and the spectator moves the cups. I know the Karl Fulve's version in The Borgia Cup, but that calls for just one change of position. I dimly (obviously) recall a similar effect, but one that had several changes of position which the performer kept track of by moving his thumb and fingers. Does anyone recall this?
John Watson
John Watson
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
836 Posts

Profile of lin
Try Martin Gardner's _Mathemagic_.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1555 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
It's in "The Complete Magician" by Marvin Kaye under the title "Find the Ball". I believe it's known as "The Stein and Day Handbook of Magic" in the US.

Barry
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
The original three cup idea with a treasury bill under one was made more well known by Al Koran after it appeared in the book on his mentalism "Professional Presentations" , the principle was from Bob Hummer. The later suggestion of poison under a cup was a great presentational idea.

I recently did a small reprint (reformated) of the instruction booklet and cards for "The Luck of Lucretia", although this time I didn't print the cards on Bicycle stack as I did in 2004, they are still very nice (far nicer than the originals).
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1555 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
I managed to pick up a second-hand Supreme Luck of Lucretia set last year. The cards aren't very good quality but the booklet is excellent, with lots of ideas for handling. I can think of other plot possibilities with other cards. Tarot could work well, for example.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2021, mindmagic wrote:
I managed to pick up a second-hand Supreme Luck of Lucretia set last year. The cards aren't very good quality but the booklet is excellent, with lots of ideas for handling. I can think of other plot possibilities with other cards. Tarot could work well, for example.

Yes, the original cards were so so and in black and white. Your second hand set would probably have been used and over 40 years old. In 2004 with Ken's permission I reprinted the cards on Bicycle card stock and the glasses are of red wine, and a few additional ideas were added to the instructions. The ones I've just printed are not on bicycle stock but I think are even better. Of course for a more organic feel or apparently impromptu, one could simply draw glasses of wine on the backs of your business cards for some of the routines.
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
You may like this tune from Blood Sweat and Tears (showing my age):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9U34uPjz-g

Worth listening to the whole thing.

I can also recommend their version of Sympathy for the Devil, which I have used in one of my shows.

Best wishes

Todd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Luck of Lucretia (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL